Looking for some turbo help - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Making Power

Making Power Anything to do with fabricating and modifying engines, carbs, ignition, etc. goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Looking for some turbo help

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-14-2018, 05:30 AM   #1
Natan
Fighterer
Natan's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:19 PM
Flip Offs: 1
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Natan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant future
Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner 
Default Looking for some turbo help

So I figured this was the best place to ask for some turbo advice.
It's been a pipe dream since I got into bikes to have a turbocharged bike, and I'm kiiiind of getting to grips with how they work on a bike, what with plenum chambers and pitot tubes and such, but I'm not quite sure how carbs can cope with the extra pressure, and what's to be done with oil and coolant lines for the turbo itself.
Can anyone lend a hand, or point me in the right direction for how to scheme a turbo setup? Where you tap into for an oil feed, coolant feed, how you pressurize the float bowls equally, that sort of thing.

2018 Winter Buildoff - CBR600F - Build - Discussion
Natan is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-14-2018, 07:41 AM   #2
yantosh

yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 13
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Looking for some turbo help

what you boosting ?
yantosh is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-14-2018, 09:18 AM   #3
Natan
Fighterer
Natan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant future

Well, I want to try boosting the CBR, just to see how it takes it. However, I imagine there's a reason nobody seems to do it! I really want to try it rather than just buying a bigger bike.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-14-2018, 01:24 PM   #4
mcantar
Fuck it, let's do it live

CF Pimp
mcantar's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:19 PM
Flip Offs: 44
Flipped Off 21 Times in 20 Posts
mcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympus

https://www.customfighters.com/forum...d.php?t=125209

Where you pull oil from depends on the engine, but the general rule of thumb that nobody fuckin follows is that you wanna tap into the flow somewhere downstream of the important bits. I.e. don't tap into a passage full of oil on its way up to your cams.

As for coolant... don't. Either plug the ports or get a CHRA that doesn't have coolant passages.

Hypermotard 1100S the weight-shavening.
Bandit 1200 cafe/fighter that will never get finished at this rate.
Turbo Busa v2 2017 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa V1.2 2016 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa v1.1
919 Hornet build'n'flip, lotsa electrical diagnostic info in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopie View Post
Everything should be turbo'd, and what the fuck is a budget?
mcantar is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived mcantar!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-14-2018, 03:05 PM   #5
Natan
Fighterer

Thanks dude! Not sure how I missed that, got some reading to do now.

So what turbo would you recommend? I was recommended a Garrett GT12 as it's apparently good for small applications, but I recall Motorhoho saying on this forum somewhere that a big turbo is best, even if you're only going for a few psi of boost, due to heat soak, engine strain etc.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-14-2018, 03:07 PM   #6
XxGRYMMxX
Breaking shit...
CF Pimp
XxGRYMMxX's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:19 PM
Flip Offs: 8
Flipped Off 13 Times in 10 Posts
XxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on here

No info from me but Im listening for the good stuff like Macs to start rolling in. Wheres Ratty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantar View Post
They can ban, outlaw, and restrict whatever they please. I'll keep doing whatever the fuck I'm doing, because I don't really give a shit. The only thing that will change is that I'll be breaking their made up bullshit rules while doing it, and I'm comfortable with that.

My Build http://www.customfighters.com/forums...d.php?t=118649
XxGRYMMxX is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived XxGRYMMxX!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-14-2018, 03:15 PM   #7
RatFighter
UnicycleMode

RatFighter's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:19 PM
Flip Offs: 190
Flipped Off 111 Times in 48 Posts
RatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

The voodoo of a pitot tube is actually not really complicated at all, the pitot tube size is directly related to the I.D. of the charge pipe (I can dig around and see if I can find the formula for it), the closer to the plenum (and with as strait of a flow of air as possible) the better. The pitot tube runs to a hose that feeds into the float bowl vents so as the intake see's pressure, so do the float bowls, essentially balancing the pressure to prevent the bowl vents from pushing out all the fuel and starving the engine on boost.

It really isn't that it's not worth the hassle to turbocharge a CBR, it's the packaging that has most people unwilling to delve into the mess that it becomes in order to fabricate a plenum, charge pipe, and exhaust manifold, then find space to run a fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, all the associated hoses and clamps, oil return lines are always a complicated question as some will swear by a check valve, others swear by a scavenge pump, and others will say gravity draining is fine too.

This is the holy bible of the turbo builder, do yourself a huge favor and pick up a copy and fill in your knowledge gaps proper. You'll find yourself asking far more technical questions than you ever thought possible, in no time at all.
https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Tu.../dp/1884313078

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweihammer View Post
Looking at this Large Hadron Collider of a vehicle, I am starting to think the little bastard may have been on to something...
RatFighter is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived RatFighter!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-14-2018, 03:20 PM   #8
RatFighter
UnicycleMode

RatFighter's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:19 PM
Flip Offs: 190
Flipped Off 111 Times in 48 Posts
RatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

I've actually got a few days of freedom for a change, I'll start compiling my mess of information and resources for the turbo thread I've been talking about doing for a few years now. I feel as if my knowledge on the subject has hit a plateau to an extent at this point, and if any correction needs to be made to the info, it would be minimal and easy enough to adjust as time goes on. I'll use my ProBoost kit for example pictures too as it is a really well done setup and leaves nothing to be required outside of time, tools, and a little mechanical knowledge to install it all on a bog stock 1200 engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweihammer View Post
Looking at this Large Hadron Collider of a vehicle, I am starting to think the little bastard may have been on to something...
RatFighter is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived RatFighter!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-14-2018, 03:48 PM   #9
Natan
Fighterer

Legend! Cheers for that. I don't mind a long term project, especially if it means I might actually learn something

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-14-2018, 05:34 PM   #10
mcantar
Fuck it, let's do it live

CF Pimp
mcantar's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:19 PM
Flip Offs: 44
Flipped Off 21 Times in 20 Posts
mcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natan View Post
Thanks dude! Not sure how I missed that, got some reading to do now.

So what turbo would you recommend? I was recommended a Garrett GT12 as it's apparently good for small applications, but I recall Motorhoho saying on this forum somewhere that a big turbo is best, even if you're only going for a few psi of boost, due to heat soak, engine strain etc.

A GT12 is far too small IMO. I just looked up the spec sheet, it claims to be rated for 800-1200cc... Which sounds perfect, except that's based on estimated exhaust volume and that estimation is based on "normal" engines.

A bike engine that revs to 12k-15k flows much more exhaust at a given point in the powerband than a car engine that redlines at 5k will. Fuck, even my STi redlines at 7k... which is just over cruising RPM on my Busa.

I would shoot for something with a minimum of 60mm wheel size. The GT12 is around 35mm. The turbo on my Busa is 90mm. For reference, the turbo on my STi is around 47mm.

The smaller diameter will spool up faster and lower in the RPM range. Great for a car that spends most of its life between 2k-5k RPM. Not great for a bike that cruises around 6k RPM... trust me, you don't want the turbo spooled up from the bottom of 1st gear under normal load.

Hypermotard 1100S the weight-shavening.
Bandit 1200 cafe/fighter that will never get finished at this rate.
Turbo Busa v2 2017 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa V1.2 2016 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa v1.1
919 Hornet build'n'flip, lotsa electrical diagnostic info in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopie View Post
Everything should be turbo'd, and what the fuck is a budget?
mcantar is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived mcantar!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Making Power