How To Attach a Subframe. - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Heavy Metal

Heavy Metal Anything to do with welding, bending and fabricating things from metal goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > How To Attach a Subframe.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-20-2019, 03:06 PM   #1
remfanuk
Fighter
Local Time: 09:10 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
remfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to all
Default How To Attach a Subframe.

The mk2 bandit frame is not endowed with prettiness primarily i think due to the lines of the subframe. So, i am removing it and want to put something eyecatching but functional. Correct me if i am wrong, but aluminium and steel cannot be successfully welded, so I thought how best to bolt a subframe onto the main frame.
You can see from the photos where I plan to chop the subframe off. Assuming I would have to have a couple of chunks of steel welded to the frame which could be tapped or just have a bolt through them to attach to the subframe, I am unsure what that might look like. Clearly i dont want to weaken the aluminium tubing at the point that it mounts to the frame by making some kind of cutout for the mount...anyone got any photos of a bolt on arrangement please? hope i make sense...oh, i am not a welder! Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180728_095825_LI.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	105108  
remfanuk is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-20-2019, 03:48 PM   #2
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Addict
Junkie's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:10 PM
Flip Offs: 3
Junkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to all
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: How To Attach a Subframe.

I'd start off by making inserts that go into the main frame tube and have one end shaved down approximately halfway, with a transverse threaded hole for the bolts to go into (I'd rather trust threads in steel than aluminum). Either find a size of round stock with a nice tight fit or, if you have to, turn some down to size.

For the subframe side, the concept is about the same. If you're using round tube, find or make round stock that fits nicely into the tube.

See my quick sketch. Obviously only one of them (frame or subframe) will have a threaded hole, the other will have a plain hole and probably a flat spot for the bolt to tighten against.

A steering damper dampens steering oscillations. If it starts to leak, it may become a steering dampener. There's no such thing as a dampner.

Bikes: naked SV1000 with all the possible bling, WR450SM street legal, 450XCF SM trackbike
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Junkie!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-20-2019, 04:02 PM   #3
remfanuk
Fighter
remfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to all

I see...think i have seen something similar before...would you weld the inserts into the frame and the subframe for extra strength? And a nut at the end of the bolt or do we trust the thread of the steel insert? thanks for your time...i appreciate your reply.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-20-2019, 04:09 PM   #4
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Addict
Junkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to all
Fighter of the Month 

Yes, I'd absolutely weld the inserts into both. The symbol at the top right corner of the frame tube is a weld symbol, guess I forgot to mention that.

You could use a nut instead if you prefer. In that case you'll want to give it a flat spot to rest on, as with the bolt.

A steering damper dampens steering oscillations. If it starts to leak, it may become a steering dampener. There's no such thing as a dampner.

Bikes: naked SV1000 with all the possible bling, WR450SM street legal, 450XCF SM trackbike
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-20-2019, 05:57 PM   #5
mcantar
Fuck it, let's do it live

CF Pimp
mcantar's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:10 PM
Flip Offs: 44
Flipped Off 21 Times in 20 Posts
mcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympus

Alum on the alum side, steel on the steel side.

Hypermotard 1100S the weight-shavening.
Bandit 1200 cafe/fighter that will never get finished at this rate.
Turbo Busa v2 2017 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa V1.2 2016 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa v1.1
919 Hornet build'n'flip, lotsa electrical diagnostic info in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopie View Post
Everything should be turbo'd, and what the fuck is a budget?
mcantar is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived mcantar!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-21-2019, 11:46 AM   #6
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Addict
Fighter of the Month 

Huh, don't think I've seen those used for subframes. I'm thinking it'd be a PITA to get a bolt in from behind but who knows.

What I was suggesting is essentially that but minus the flange and second bolt.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-22-2019, 02:09 PM   #7
remfanuk
Fighter

Thanks for the help there guys.

From what you drew and described Junkie it would seem to be similar if not the same as the removable lower frame rail on the bandit where two halves of tubing meet. Is that right? If so, I was thinking of using shouldered bolts so the thread is only on the end of the bolt that would screw into the steel part of the frame with the shouldered part passing through the alluminium subframe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190522_161348.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	409.2 KB
ID:	105120   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190522_161345.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	392.2 KB
ID:	105122  
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-22-2019, 03:06 PM   #8
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Addict
Fighter of the Month 

Yes, that's about what I'm describing, although most subframe mounts I see only use one bolt rather than two.

I suppose shouldered bolts would be an option to remove a little bit of slop, but if you drill a tight hole (rather than an oversize hole) for the unthreaded section I wouldn't worry about it. That's how mine's mounted.

My subframe is square tube rather than round, but the concept is the same.

This user High Fived Junkie!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-23-2019, 03:04 AM   #9
remfanuk
Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
Yes, that's about what I'm describing, although most subframe mounts I see only use one bolt rather than two.

I suppose shouldered bolts would be an option to remove a little bit of slop, but if you drill a tight hole (rather than an oversize hole) for the unthreaded section I wouldn't worry about it. That's how mine's mounted.

My subframe is square tube rather than round, but the concept is the same.
You have been a great help thanks...be good to see a photo of how you went about the same process.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-23-2019, 01:11 PM   #10
remfanuk
Fighter

Here is my drawing...hopefully looks right?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Heavy Metal