Spring Rate Chart, Sportbike - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Brakes and Suspension

Brakes and Suspension Anything to do with fabricating and modifying brakes and suspension goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Spring Rate Chart, Sportbike

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-30-2008, 05:44 AM   #1
Scrapyard
Build It Ride It Live It
Scrapyard's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:55 AM
Flip Offs: 6
Flipped Off 20 Times in 14 Posts
Scrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud of
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity Fighter of the Month 
Default Spring Rate Chart, Sportbike

Chart found at http://www.penskeshocks.com/penskera...ATIONCHART.pdf
Scrapyard is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-30-2008, 02:12 PM   #2
ThatguyDave
Fighterer
ThatguyDave's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
ThatguyDave is making some friendsThatguyDave is making some friendsThatguyDave is making some friendsThatguyDave is making some friendsThatguyDave is making some friends
Default Re: Spring Rate Chart, Sportbike

Thanks for the heads up. This is the kind of info that can be indispensable at times.
ThatguyDave is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-02-2009, 08:46 AM   #3
crowbar
Respect can't be bought.

CF Pimp
crowbar's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 85
Flipped Off 49 Times in 36 Posts
crowbar has a reputation beyond reputecrowbar has a reputation beyond reputecrowbar has a reputation beyond reputecrowbar has a reputation beyond reputecrowbar has a reputation beyond reputecrowbar has a reputation beyond reputecrowbar has a reputation beyond reputecrowbar has a reputation beyond reputecrowbar has a reputation beyond reputecrowbar has a reputation beyond reputecrowbar has a reputation beyond repute
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

I have never understood spring rates or length in all there significances. Anybody feel like explaining?

Got a question about modifying your Z1000? send me a message, I can probably help.
crowbar is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-02-2009, 09:24 AM   #4
Scrapyard
Build It Ride It Live It
Scrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud of

LBS per Inch. Basicly it takes so many pounds of force to move a coils spring 1 inch.

For example. 600lbs/in. It takes 600lbs to move the spring 1 inch in travel.

So as your traveling down the road the weight of the bike and you and the force applied by a bump in the road is held by that spring. So there needs to be a force that will ubsorbe that force and weight without letting the bike compress so far that it bottoms out. There's some math involved, but that's the basic idea.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-02-2009, 09:35 AM   #5
crowbar
Respect can't be bought.

CF Pimp
crowbar has a reputation beyond reputecrowbar has a reputation beyond reputecrowbar has a reputation beyond reputecrowbar has a reputation beyond reputecrowbar has a reputation beyond reputecrowbar has a reputation beyond reputecrowbar has a reputation beyond reputecrowbar has a reputation beyond reputecrowbar has a reputation beyond reputecrowbar has a reputation beyond reputecrowbar has a reputation beyond repute

So each setup is unique in that it has it own optimum setup based on the suspension/rider/bike. The idea is not to bottom out but not give too much cushion that it rides like crap correct?

Got a question about modifying your Z1000? send me a message, I can probably help.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-02-2009, 09:37 AM   #6
Scrapyard
Build It Ride It Live It

basicly, yeah
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-02-2009, 09:44 AM   #7
crowbar
Respect can't be bought.

CF Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapyard View Post
basicly, yeah
yeah gold star for me

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-26-2009, 12:22 PM   #8
foreman26
Fighter
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
foreman26 is a NOOB

great info
foreman26 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-24-2009, 01:33 AM   #9
lynchingacers
V-4 for 4 life

CF Addict
lynchingacers's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:55 PM
Flip Offs: 9
Flipped Off 12 Times in 6 Posts
lynchingacers is a glorious beacon of lightlynchingacers is a glorious beacon of lightlynchingacers is a glorious beacon of lightlynchingacers is a glorious beacon of lightlynchingacers is a glorious beacon of lightlynchingacers is a glorious beacon of lightlynchingacers is a glorious beacon of lightlynchingacers is a glorious beacon of lightlynchingacers is a glorious beacon of lightlynchingacers is a glorious beacon of lightlynchingacers is a glorious beacon of light

links broken for me
lynchingacers is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-24-2009, 06:36 AM   #10
chandler
is not your fucking bro
chandler's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:55 AM
Flip Offs: 75
Flipped Off 53 Times in 24 Posts
chandler is a splendid one to beholdchandler is a splendid one to beholdchandler is a splendid one to beholdchandler is a splendid one to beholdchandler is a splendid one to beholdchandler is a splendid one to beholdchandler is a splendid one to beholdchandler is a splendid one to beholdchandler is a splendid one to beholdchandler is a splendid one to beholdchandler is a splendid one to behold

i seez it

chandler is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Brakes and Suspension