How to properly lower your front suspension by changing your fork length - Page 2 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Brakes and Suspension

Brakes and Suspension Anything to do with fabricating and modifying brakes and suspension goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > How to properly lower your front suspension by changing your fork length

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-12-2015, 10:12 PM   #11
karp72
Karp

Noobie
karp72's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:04 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
karp72 is a NOOB
Default Re: How to properly lower your front suspension by changing your fork length

I agree,..this should be a sticky,..going to do this on my cbr,..

FNG,...
karp72 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived karp72!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-12-2015, 11:46 PM   #12
RatFighter
UnicycleMode

RatFighter's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:04 PM
Flip Offs: 190
Flipped Off 111 Times in 48 Posts
RatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 
Thumbs up Re: How to properly lower your front suspension by changing your fork length

Quote:
Originally Posted by karp72 View Post
I agree,..this should be a sticky,..going to do this on my cbr,..

Before anyone says anything about bumping old threads, I didn't even know this existed here. I actually got something out of this thread dig so anyone that has a problem with it can...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweihammer View Post
Looking at this Large Hadron Collider of a vehicle, I am starting to think the little bastard may have been on to something...
RatFighter is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived RatFighter!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-13-2015, 01:52 AM   #13
jerryatrophy
we are 138
jerryatrophy's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 79
Flipped Off 26 Times in 19 Posts
jerryatrophy spends too much time on herejerryatrophy spends too much time on herejerryatrophy spends too much time on herejerryatrophy spends too much time on herejerryatrophy spends too much time on herejerryatrophy spends too much time on herejerryatrophy spends too much time on herejerryatrophy spends too much time on herejerryatrophy spends too much time on herejerryatrophy spends too much time on herejerryatrophy spends too much time on here
Default Re: How to properly lower your front suspension by changing your fork length

Ive read this thread a couple times. 👍
jerryatrophy is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived jerryatrophy!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-17-2015, 10:34 AM   #14
Handsome Matt
Just Here For The Party
Senior Fighterer
Handsome Matt's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 5
Flipped Off 12 Times in 7 Posts
Handsome Matt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Handsome Matt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Handsome Matt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Handsome Matt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Handsome Matt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Handsome Matt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Handsome Matt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Handsome Matt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Handsome Matt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Handsome Matt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Handsome Matt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

This is a useful thing to do especially when your bike feels sluggish or unresponsive, BUT do it last, after any changes like wheel swaps, fork swaps, shock swaps, etc etc etc.

All those little changes can add up very, very quickly to make a bike un-rideable.

2015 Winter Build: Phoenix Ascending

2015 Winter Build Discussion: Phoenix Ascending

"But it would require a great moral effort; it would mean staring failure in the eye every day for years. And so to protect themselves people say "I can't."" - Paul Graham

"Assumption is truely the mother of all fuck ups." -Yantosh

"Criticism is easy to do, but rarely worth listening to, mostly because it's so easy to do." -Seth Godin
Handsome Matt is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Handsome Matt!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-17-2015, 01:01 PM   #15
RatFighter
UnicycleMode

RatFighter's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 190
Flipped Off 111 Times in 48 Posts
RatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 
Thumbs up Re: How to properly lower your front suspension by changing your fork length

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome Matt View Post
This is a useful thing to do especially when your bike feels sluggish or unresponsive, BUT do it last, after any changes like wheel swaps, fork swaps, shock swaps, etc etc etc.

All those little changes can add up very, very quickly to make a bike un-rideable.

That is honestly something that should be said and known far more often.

I think it was 4cups that said the same thing, the bike may look fantastic in the shop but could potentially handle like a pissed pig on roller skates on the street. Best to measure twice and cut once when doing anything to the geometry of a motorcycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweihammer View Post
Looking at this Large Hadron Collider of a vehicle, I am starting to think the little bastard may have been on to something...
RatFighter is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-17-2015, 10:36 PM   #16
Tony Nitrous
Fighter
Tony Nitrous's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tony Nitrous is a name known to allTony Nitrous is a name known to allTony Nitrous is a name known to allTony Nitrous is a name known to allTony Nitrous is a name known to allTony Nitrous is a name known to allTony Nitrous is a name known to allTony Nitrous is a name known to allTony Nitrous is a name known to allTony Nitrous is a name known to allTony Nitrous is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome Matt View Post
This is a useful thing to do especially when your bike feels sluggish or unresponsive,.
I find many big Suzuki's, Busa, B-King and especially the GSX1400 have very conservative
and lazy geometry, but I'm not keen on lowering the front anymore. I have done it for the
drags but for the street I much prefer to raise the rear a little, I always go for taller tyres
and then look at raising the suspension. I ended up going 30mm up before the 1400 had
a more nimble feel to it.

Many non-sportsbikes don't have great ground clearance.
Lowering the front just creates more drama's.

This is one of the reasons why I raise the rear and don't lower the front...

screen shot on pc

30mm lift on my GSX1400 ....

Tony Nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Tony Nitrous!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-17-2015, 10:40 PM   #17
Tony Nitrous
Fighter
Tony Nitrous's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tony Nitrous is a name known to allTony Nitrous is a name known to allTony Nitrous is a name known to allTony Nitrous is a name known to allTony Nitrous is a name known to allTony Nitrous is a name known to allTony Nitrous is a name known to allTony Nitrous is a name known to allTony Nitrous is a name known to allTony Nitrous is a name known to allTony Nitrous is a name known to all

Not knocking the original post.

I'd be happy to use it for a drag bike or someone who's more looks than ability.

For my bikes and what I do, lowering the front to quicken the steering is not a good idea.

Not saying dont do it, but do your homework before you dive in.
Tony Nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-18-2015, 08:54 AM   #18
4cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatFighter View Post

I think it was 4cups that said the same thing, the bike may look fantastic in the shop but could potentially handle like a pissed pig on roller skates on the street. Best to measure twice and cut once when doing anything to the geometry of a motorcycle.
yep that was from messing about with too much enthusiasm & too little knowledge as a kid, I cocked it up many times before I learnt the lessons
  Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived !

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Brakes and Suspension