Anybody know about TIG Brazing? - Page 3 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Heavy Metal

Heavy Metal Anything to do with welding, bending and fabricating things from metal goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Anybody know about TIG Brazing?

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-15-2012, 03:10 PM   #21
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Addict
Junkie's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:53 PM
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Junkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to all
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Anybody know about TIG Brazing?

DCEP is going to melt your tungsten in no time flat. I have read plenty of stuff about people running it DCEN, some people prefer AC.

I'm trying some carbon arc brazing and it's being a PITA to get at all pretty, but even some very ugly brazes are ending up stronger than the base metal.

A steering damper dampens steering oscillations. If it starts to leak, it may become a steering dampener. There's no such thing as a dampner.

Bikes: naked SV1000 with all the possible bling, WR450SM street legal, 450XCF SM trackbike
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-15-2012, 05:18 PM   #22
CK 187
CAPTAIN AWESOMEŽ

CK 187's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:53 PM
Flip Offs: 631
Flipped Off 470 Times in 171 Posts
CK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too much
Default Medal Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

Yep, it will beat the shit out of your tungsten.
CK 187 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-15-2012, 05:42 PM   #23
DimestaK
GURU

CF Lover
DimestaK's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 2
Flipped Off 2 Times in 2 Posts
DimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud of

Could you not step up a size in tungsten to counteract the effects or would you run into unstable arc issues at such low amps?
DimestaK is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-15-2012, 07:06 PM   #24
CK 187
CAPTAIN AWESOMEŽ

CK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too much
Default Medal Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

What are you thinking exactly? What tungsten are you using now?
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-15-2012, 10:14 PM   #25
DimestaK
GURU

CF Lover
DimestaK's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 2
Flipped Off 2 Times in 2 Posts
DimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud of

I was asking if stepping up a size in tungsten would prevent from consuming the tungsten or if that's just a part of DCEP. Honestly, I haven't spent a lot of seat time with DCEP

Disregard the unstable arc comment. I know what I was or wasn't thinking there, but it doesn't relate to this.
DimestaK is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-15-2012, 11:44 PM   #26
InIspeed3
dirtbag
Noobie
Local Time: 05:53 PM
Flip Offs: 0
InIspeed3 is making some friendsInIspeed3 is making some friendsInIspeed3 is making some friendsInIspeed3 is making some friends

quote; Me too. Didn't even think of it.
And of course, gas braising needs flux, why wouldn't TIG also benefit from flux shield in addition to argon?
Now we're getting somewhere..

i believe that because tig's heat is so much more concentrated that negates the need for flux... not exactly positive. i remember seeing something on it, ill look for it!
InIspeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived InIspeed3!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-16-2012, 12:10 AM   #27
InIspeed3
dirtbag
Noobie
InIspeed3 is making some friendsInIspeed3 is making some friendsInIspeed3 is making some friendsInIspeed3 is making some friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK 187 View Post
Low heat, slow passes, dense puddles
Ive always found that high heat and faster produces less warpage than low and slow, something about how long your actually in the weld with heat... just imho. where as with With Tig brazing it seems you can go low and fast because of how easily the bronze melts at low heat.

And about the DCEP, not really sure about how feasible it is, that site seemed to be a manufacturer of the rod giving advice on use, or maybe im just trippin, figured it was worth a shot, the only time i have ever really used DCEP with tig is for ballin up tungsten in prep for aluminum so im really not sure how long the tungsten will last (or not in this case) im still gonna try it tho.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-16-2012, 12:42 AM   #28
InIspeed3
dirtbag
Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92GSX750 View Post
Could you not step up a size in tungsten to counteract the effects or would you run into unstable arc issues at such low amps?
just found some interesting stuff... it appears you may be correct about the size of your electrode...

"As a consequence of heat distribution, for the same current one has to select in DCEP a larger electrode size than what is proper for DCEN.

Due to the electrode limited current carrying capacity (about 1/10 of DCEN), DCEP is used only for welding thin sheet metal where low current is sufficient. For most other applications welded with higher currents, DCEN is selected if welding other materials than aluminum or magnesium (see below)"

found on
http://www.welding-advisers.com/Tig-welding-tips.html

Here is another quote i found real interesting on another forum

"Since you are referring to GTA, I can tell you that back in the 80's I had heard of using DCEP with a 1/4" electrode to make spot repairs on bronze castings, apparently extreme arc cleaning action was benificial, and a huge electrode was needed to carry barely enough current to get a melt. Never actually seen it, but there may be some logic behind it. That may have been the only way to attack the issue back when transformer power supplies did not have adjustable "cleaning action". And now the programmable DCEP/DCEN wave form of a Miller Dynasty would probably be the best GTA weapon casting repair since the peak current and % time at + and - can be set."

found on
http://weldingweb.com/archive/index.php/t-52275.html
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-16-2012, 12:22 PM   #29
CK 187
CAPTAIN AWESOMEŽ

Quote:
Originally Posted by InIspeed3 View Post
Ive always found that high heat and faster produces less warpage than low and slow, something about how long your actually in the weld with heat... just imho. where as with With Tig brazing it seems you can go low and fast because of how easily the bronze melts at low heat.
sure, if you don't want pretty beads

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-16-2012, 05:29 PM   #30
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Addict
Junkie's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:53 PM
Flip Offs: 3
Junkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to all
Fighter of the Month 

I gave a friend of mine who's pretty good at TIG a couple rods of silicon bronze to try out.
Quote:
my first attempt at tig brazing silicon bronze, base metal is 16ga mild steel with scale removed. machine set on DC-

no porosity as far as i can tell, went on really clean as long as scale was removed. the broze stayed shiny as long as you stayed right above the base metal melting temp, you can see on the braze where it mixed in with the base metal a little

A steering damper dampens steering oscillations. If it starts to leak, it may become a steering dampener. There's no such thing as a dampner.

Bikes: naked SV1000 with all the possible bling, WR450SM street legal, 450XCF SM trackbike
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Junkie!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Heavy Metal