anyone else keep their desktop hd outside of the case? - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Off Topic > Open Discussion > Byte Fighters

Byte Fighters All computer related discussion goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > anyone else keep their desktop hd outside of the case?

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-16-2012, 01:02 AM   #1
tldave
CF Addict
tldave's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:19 PM
Flip Offs: 5
Flipped Off 71 Times in 42 Posts
tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default anyone else keep their desktop hd outside of the case?

I started running my cases completely open on one side, with the hd resting on thin cardboard box to keep everything cooler, and my last computer lasted 8 years. I bought a backup that is 7 years old now, and JUST started using it because the cpu corrupted on the last one. I dunno, this one runs really really well, and even under hard processing only gets to like 110-115 degrees. I dont have a particularly dusty area, and no one smokes. so I think its fine. fans and sinks dont get clogged really. I had to clean the other computer once.
tldave is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-16-2012, 01:03 AM   #2
tldave
CF Addict
tldave's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 5
Flipped Off 71 Times in 42 Posts
tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Re: anyone else keep their desktop hd outside of the case?

to clarify the hd is on a cardboard box completely outside of the case, and has a hole in the bottom, so its just a airduct framework to hold up the hd
tldave is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-16-2012, 10:23 AM   #3
dogbreath
Function IS Form
dogbreath's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 27
Flipped Off 329 Times in 225 Posts
dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
2007 Streetfighter Buildoff - Head Turner Award 

I've got a HDD dock that goes in one of the DVD/CD drive slots. So I can hot swap SATA drives. One small and fast HDD inside in the normal spot. My tower is water-cooled and I don't overclock by very much so it keeps pretty cool.

You're right, though, keeping an HDD cool (or rather, not letting it get heat cycled over and over again) can extend the life of it.

Dedication > Guts > Money > Luck > Talent
dogbreath is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-16-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
mightlife
Currently Feckless
Fighterer
mightlife's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:19 PM
Flip Offs: 4
Flipped Off 3 Times in 3 Posts
mightlife is a name known to allmightlife is a name known to allmightlife is a name known to allmightlife is a name known to allmightlife is a name known to allmightlife is a name known to allmightlife is a name known to allmightlife is a name known to allmightlife is a name known to allmightlife is a name known to allmightlife is a name known to all

I've taken both of the aluminium side of mine.

Put them to good use:

(just a mock-up though )
mightlife is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived mightlife!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Off Topic > Open Discussion > Byte Fighters