Matty's Italian Job (Benelli Tornado TRE 900) - Page 16 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Other Motorcycle Discussion

Other Motorcycle Discussion Anything about any other type of motorcycle goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Matty's Italian Job (Benelli Tornado TRE 900)

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-17-2019, 12:24 PM   #151
mcantar
Fuck it, let's do it live

CF Pimp
mcantar's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:23 PM
Flip Offs: 44
Flipped Off 21 Times in 20 Posts
mcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympus
Default Re: Matty's Italian Job (Benelli Tornado TRE 900)

Hard to get a good idea of the space from that pic, but if you have the room to get the tool in there, a pair of vice grips would likely grip the extractor well enough to start unscrewing the entire clusterfuck.

You could try drilling it out from the back as well. Since you have access to the front of the hole now you could use a normal right-hand drill bit and continue it through, but success depends on the quality of that extractor... if it's harder than your drill bit, you won't get very far with it. The high quality ones are usually fully hardened, but the Chineseum types are often just surface hardened and the steel inside is nice and soft. Maybe worth a try.
If the extractor is proper hardened, it may be possible to shatter it with a good punch and a small sledge, leaving you just the sensor that a drill would certainly bite.

Also couldn't hurt to throw a few of the standard tricks at it... soak it with penetrating oil, hit it with a torch (or better, hit the surrounding area with a torch but not the sensor/extractor), etc.

If none of the above work, more drastic measures are required. If the drill bit fails it's possible that a carbide endmill of appropriate size would grab and cut where the drill won't.
Failing that, there are other methods involving TIG welders, oxyacetylene torches, milling machines, or wire EDM, but those would likely be cost prohibitive for your situation and the last two would involve pulling the engine out completely to be able to mount it on a fixture in a machine.

Hypermotard 1100S the weight-shavening.
Bandit 1200 cafe/fighter that will never get finished at this rate.
Turbo Busa v2 2017 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa V1.2 2016 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa v1.1
919 Hornet build'n'flip, lotsa electrical diagnostic info in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopie View Post
Everything should be turbo'd, and what the fuck is a budget?
mcantar is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived mcantar!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-17-2019, 12:35 PM   #152
Mattson
Stressed Member
Mattson's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:23 PM
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 33 Times in 21 Posts
Mattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month 

This any better? The sensor hole is hugging the back wall under the right-most of the three bottom holes so not a whole helluva lot of space to hit from the inside but I'll see if I can get a strike at it from the back. I tried wiggling the tip of the stud and it decided to snap and drop somewhere in the oil sump, hopefully it's either magnetic or will flush out without removing the sump.

Benelli Tornado TRE Novecento 2006
EX: Triumph Daytona 955i DSSA 2002 Fighter
My homebrew blog thread thingy: Oddball Brewery
Mattson is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Mattson!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-17-2019, 12:41 PM   #153
mcantar
Fuck it, let's do it live

CF Pimp
mcantar's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:23 PM
Flip Offs: 44
Flipped Off 21 Times in 20 Posts
mcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympus

That looks like enough room to get a small pair of vice grips in. BUT, if the extractor has come out, that doesn't leave much to grab on to from the inside judging by the pic in the last post.

With the extractor remnant gone the job becomes much easier... a drill will get that out no problem. May need to strip some components out of the way to get access from the back. Use a drill bit that is big enough to grab the hollow remains of the sensor, but be careful not to go so big that you risk shaving off the threads in the hole.
Make sure you're not in an awkward position as the drill needs to be held as stably as possible, use a moderately slow speed and a good amount of force, and use cutting oil (motor oil will work if you don't have proper cutting fluid).
Good luck!

The extractor is almost certainly magnetic. Though it may be too big to move around freely enough to reach the drain plug magnet, and could end up getting lodged and restricting flow. I'd go hunting for it if I were in your shoes.

Hypermotard 1100S the weight-shavening.
Bandit 1200 cafe/fighter that will never get finished at this rate.
Turbo Busa v2 2017 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa V1.2 2016 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa v1.1
919 Hornet build'n'flip, lotsa electrical diagnostic info in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopie View Post
Everything should be turbo'd, and what the fuck is a budget?
mcantar is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-17-2019, 12:49 PM   #154
Mattson
Stressed Member
Mattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month 

The extractor is still firmly inside the sensor, just the tip broke loose. Gonna try if I could tap it out or break it from the outside, if I manage to get the remains out I suspect gonna get the sensor out as well but from what I can see it looks like the extractor hole is drilled askew so worst case scenario might need to helicoil the hole and that will need to be dead on straight or the sensor will rub the selector drum. Lets hope it wont come to that.

This user High Fived Mattson!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-21-2019, 12:03 AM   #155
tldave
CF Addict
tldave's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:23 PM
Flip Offs: 5
Flipped Off 71 Times in 42 Posts
tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

[email protected] entire fiasco.
tldave is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived tldave!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-21-2019, 01:33 AM   #156
Mattson
Stressed Member
Fighter of the Month 

Debating hard with myself, backing out starting to seem like the sensible option. I can live without the sensor and not at all comfortable with the idea of splitting the cases.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-23-2019, 05:04 AM   #157
tldave
CF Addict
tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

put some direct heat on it? I just keep using the wrong tools until one of them gets the job done. I'm still not fully understanding how this sensor is in place or I would suggest something.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-23-2019, 05:19 AM   #158
tldave
CF Addict

why are we talking about splitting the cases? your oil pan is directly underneath. you can't get access if you remove the pan? personally I would drill through it, and put direct heat and penetrating oil on it, and see if the bit removes it. if not, just keep fucking with it. my go to would be to cut a slit into it like you did the other shit, and cut into the cases a tiny bit, and use a flat head screw driver bent at a right angle. make sure you make the slit at the proper angle so they when you put the head of the screw driver in you get a shitload of bite and torque, need to be at the beginning of your rotation, cause you are only getting a quarter of a turn at best. Heat, penetrating oil, and a good biting driver that you rock back and forth, and see if you can snake something up from the oil pan.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-23-2019, 08:09 AM   #159
rex_saugerty
V four honda whore
rex_saugerty's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 39 Times in 38 Posts
rex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tldave View Post
[email protected] entire fiasco.
Whats so funny?

1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0
rex_saugerty is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-23-2019, 08:36 AM   #160
Mattson
Stressed Member
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tldave View Post
why are we talking about splitting the cases? your oil pan is directly underneath. you can't get access if you remove the pan?
Because there isn`t enough room inside the transmission casing to get a hard enough blow onto the extractor from the inside, and if it`s wedged in hard enough to form an oil tight seal I reckon it`s in there purdy tight. Second reason is I`m pretty sure that the hole would need to be recoiled because from what I can see in the back of the engine the extractor seems to be drilled to the side of the sensor remains thus destroying the original thread. The tip of the sensor rides in a groove in the selector drum hence the need for the transmission to be on fourth gear upon extraction or the sensor will bend and brake. So, if I`d recoil the thread I`d need to not only get the new thread spot on center but also perfectly straight or the new sensor will rub onto the selector drum, so the two options I can think of is either get it done in a machine shop, or swap out the entire lower half-casing. Removing the oil pan will do nothing in terms of accessibility because the sensor is horizontal going through the rear of the engine.

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Other Motorcycle Discussion