Matty's Italian Job (Benelli Tornado TRE 900) - Page 18 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Other Motorcycle Discussion

Other Motorcycle Discussion Anything about any other type of motorcycle goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Matty's Italian Job (Benelli Tornado TRE 900)

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-12-2019, 11:03 AM   #171
Mattson
Stressed Member
CF Pimp
Mattson's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:51 AM
Flip Offs: 23
Flipped Off 33 Times in 21 Posts
Mattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Matty's Italian Job (Benelli Tornado TRE 900)

Wonder what the clutch would think of that... Judging byt the stuff I've seen the PO has probly used whatever he's got his hands on. Didn't see the condition of the oil that was in it cause my friend had done an oil chance prior to the swap but everything else has been in quite apalling shape, including the amount of sooty crap I washed off the inside of the oil pan so it's probly either/or/and ridden hard on a track/ridden overdue. For example never ever seen a chain before that's priming to snap because the pins on the master link had worn to half their thickness and gouged the link holes to pear shape.

Didn't manage shit with the bike at weekend and wife has a coulple night shifts/I got paperwork to catch up to so might be a while til I can continue...

Benelli Tornado TRE Novecento 2006
EX: Triumph Daytona 955i DSSA 2002 Fighter
My homebrew blog thread thingy: Oddball Brewery
Mattson is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Mattson!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-13-2019, 07:29 AM   #172
JamesHambleton
Wanna be racer

CF Addict
JamesHambleton's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:51 PM
Flip Offs: 9
Flipped Off 5 Times in 3 Posts
JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Definitely want a zink based oil in the engine
JamesHambleton is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived JamesHambleton!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-14-2019, 05:49 PM   #173
Mattson
Stressed Member
CF Pimp
Mattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month 

Came to the garage to gather parts for the tikhar project, seems like I've disposed of some key komponents so might not happen after all. Since I'm there decided to pick up the gear cassette and cleaned up the contact surface. If at all even possible it's gouged to hell even worse than the engine side... Will probly seal but still hurts to see this kinda shit... not gonna use that red silicone stuff though, got a bottle of Permatex Aviation Cement n:o 3 waiting in the shelf for this, it's much more fluid and it's brushed on instead of laying a bead but should seal much better as it's made to seal airplane engines and for example withstands 250bar of pressure.

Gonna take the boys to the city at saturday to get a selection of allen head bolts and come night time gonna start slapping this bitch back together, it is the middle of march after all so should be able to roll out after about a month weather wise.

Funny thing that repairing other folks fuckups seems to take a lot longer than fabricating new parts. Guess it's a matter of motivation...

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-15-2019, 06:36 PM   #174
Mattson
Stressed Member
CF Pimp
Fighter of the Month 

This came in the mail today so was able to continue with the Nelli.

This thread here had been destroyed by overtightening so it needed a refurb. Problem is this is one of the two counterbored holes that hold the clutch cover in place because instead of locating pins everywhere else the engineers at Benelli seemed to have seen fit to use locating bolts on the cover, who knows why...

With the right tools this proved to be much easier than what I thought, just needed to be careful with the drill and clean up thoroughly before screwing in the thread insert, came out better than what I expected. Glued the insert down with Loctite 243 so shouldn`t move.

Next I decided to fit the gearbox back in place, which didn`t go quite as smooth as I wished... The sealing surfaces were already cleaned and prepped so all I needed to do is apply the Aviation Cement onto the sealing surfaces, throw the gear cassette into the engine and start bolting it down, easy as that right? Got the eight allen head bolts in place, went through the primary tightening pattern after which I`m supposed to insert this special bolt that holds the starter and a few other ground leads, it`s spinning freely. WTF how have I missed this!!! Quick peek into the hole, sure enough the thread is gone but WHAT THE FUCK WHY IS THIS HOLE OPEN TO THE GEARBOX!?!?!? Having no idea how long open time the Aviation Cement has, and knowing once it hardens it`s close to being welded shut I frenzied the bolts open and the cassette back out, drilled and recoiled the hole, applied a second coat of cement, made sure no metal shavings were left in the sealing surface or inside the engine and bolted the thing back together. All of the sudden the +80e I paid for this recoil set doesn`t seem that much after all.

Tomorrow gonna pop in the city to get me more hex bolts so I can continue getting the engine back together. Should be as good as new save the neutral switch I was unable to fix...

These people High Fived Mattson!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-17-2019, 04:24 AM   #175
tldave
CF Addict
tldave's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:51 PM
Flip Offs: 5
Flipped Off 68 Times in 40 Posts
tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

at least you are building something cool. I'm half done with an fz07. just test drove it today. what a slow boring shit wank of a bike. I can't wait till it's out of my garage. my post has no real point.
tldave is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived tldave!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-17-2019, 05:28 AM   #176
Mattson
Stressed Member
CF Pimp
Fighter of the Month 

Did a wee bit of unfucking at the front loom last night, still not that pretty because of the ferrite bead but at least I soldered the thief connectors or whatever they're called in english outta there. Here's hoping the gear display will actually do sth more than the loading spin thing it's doing now...

Fitted the oil sump, not a whole lot to tell there. Also decided to swap the mismatching bolts for the gear selector to match the other new ones, big fucking surprise two of the threads are ruined. Tiny problem though, one of the ruined threads is behind a locator pin, any ideas how to get the thing out the hole so I can repair the thread behind?

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-17-2019, 11:37 AM   #177
tldave
CF Addict
tldave's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:51 PM
Flip Offs: 5
Flipped Off 68 Times in 40 Posts
tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Heat the pin up and spin it with vise grips. it is just pressed in on other bikes
tldave is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived tldave!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-17-2019, 12:43 PM   #178
Mattson
Stressed Member
CF Pimp
Fighter of the Month 

Figured as much, gonna go try when the brats go to bed.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-17-2019, 04:17 PM   #179
mcantar
Fuck it, let's do it live

CF Pimp
mcantar's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:51 PM
Flip Offs: 44
Flipped Off 20 Times in 19 Posts
mcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tldave View Post
my post has no real point.
It has become self aware.

Hypermotard 1100S the weight-shavening.
Bandit 1200 cafe/fighter that will never get finished at this rate.
Turbo Busa v2 2017 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa V1.2 2016 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa v1.1
919 Hornet build'n'flip, lotsa electrical diagnostic info in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopie View Post
Everything should be turbo'd, and what the fuck is a budget?
mcantar is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-17-2019, 05:23 PM   #180
Mattson
Stressed Member
CF Pimp
Fighter of the Month 

All it took was big pliers and some gentle persuasion, didn`t even put up much of a fight as I never broke out the heat at all. Six and eleven-o-clock threads redone and the selector shield refitted, though need to replace the three-o-clock bolt later, tried a 30mm and it bottomed out, tried a 20mm and the thread started to give so need to order some 25mm bolts as there`s other places that need them too but couldn`t get em from the city yesterday. Also starting to look like I need to restock on m6 coils

Dug out the clutch actuator bag from the box to refit, didn`t pay much attention to it when dismantling but now the bag had smeared mostly black from the inside of the sludge that was oozing out of the housing. Upon closer investigation it was quite obvious the shaft seal has given up the ghost quite some time ago as the whole thing was filled with sand and other nasties. Gave everything a proper scrub and left them soaking in diesel, might also need to replace the needle bearing inside the housing as it was quite crunchy when I pulled the actuator shaft out. Had I not taken possession of the bike when I did I`m quite sure my friend would not have taken it apart nearly as far as I and it probly would have self-destruct sooner or later on her...

Note to Benelli engineers: yea ok a square piece of stainless may not be visually pleasing but for a part that`s 99% hidden 99% of the time there`s no real need for it to be anything other than sturdy enough to get the job done.

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Other Motorcycle Discussion