Matty's Italian Job (Benelli Tornado TRE 900) - Page 19 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Other Motorcycle Discussion

Other Motorcycle Discussion Anything about any other type of motorcycle goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Matty's Italian Job (Benelli Tornado TRE 900)

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-18-2019, 12:51 PM   #181
tldave
CF Addict
tldave's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:39 PM
Flip Offs: 5
Flipped Off 71 Times in 42 Posts
tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Re: Matty's Italian Job (Benelli Tornado TRE 900)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantar View Post
It has become self aware.
why you fuckin with me on someone's thread? are you upset with me? go be a faggot someplace else.
tldave is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-18-2019, 12:59 PM   #182
tldave
CF Addict
tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

damn dude it never ends on that thing it seems. gotta wonder if it's the quality of the alum being an issue, or previous owner syndrome. I know there was that big scandal about all the alum supplied to honda and some other manufacturers not being to stated spec. gotta wonder how honest any of the aluminum we have is.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-18-2019, 02:01 PM   #183
Mattson
Stressed Member
Mattson's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:39 PM
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 33 Times in 21 Posts
Mattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month 

The alloy used on these engines is known to be on the soft side, for example I've read of ill fitting cylinder heads after unbolting because the bolt holes have been squeezed oval etc but I'm fairly confident the main cause is the previous owner being a complete turd. I mean just look at the sealing surfaces bashed to hell...

Benelli Tornado TRE Novecento 2006
EX: Triumph Daytona 955i DSSA 2002 Fighter
My homebrew blog thread thingy: Oddball Brewery
Mattson is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-19-2019, 05:40 PM   #184
Mattson
Stressed Member
Mattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month 

Started to assemble the clutch bell but couldn`t find the holding tool anywhere and wifey went to bed already so couldn`t thrash around the garage much, so I decided to see what`s what with the actuator.

The bearing at the mouth doesn`t seem or feel too bad at all. It`s extremely hard to see it but there`s a second bearing right at the bottom. Well, I suppose was would be a more fitting word here as from what I can see there is a bearing cage at the bottom but all the needle rollers seemed to have either departed or dissolved as there`s not a trace of any of them left. The fun part would be to figure out a way to get the remains out! Which is more susceptible to heat expansion, aluminum or steel? Thinking should I heat or freeze it before I whack it against something in hopes to get the old bearing out? Anyone has a better idea now`s the time to voice it...

This user High Fived Mattson!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-20-2019, 12:35 AM   #185
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 116 Times in 103 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Aluminum swells more with heat than steel does.

Just getting caught up here. Sad to say, but my internet connection is very slow and your thread with lots of often crash before they open completely. Not bitching, just explaining Regardless...dammit man! You're having a helluva time here. Keep at it, man. You'll get there.
shinyribs is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-20-2019, 02:15 AM   #186
Mattson
Stressed Member
Fighter of the Month 

Patience grasshopper, sometimes it takes time to see the big picture

Well aware of the issue, just haven't come up with a decent solution... My phone takes huge but crappy pics, if I lower the reso down before taking the pic I might as well fill the shower room with steam and go snap pics of the wall tiles and claim bike parts mm yes very shiny... I can't resize them with the computer either because for some reason if I hook up the phone to the confuser it does recognize it but if I click it open it claims nothing's there. One option would be to start using the proper camera again but I have this terrible medical condition called sloth...

TBH being spoiled with a 200mb optic I tend to forget the issue, thx for reminding me, have to come up with some sort of a fix.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-25-2019, 01:11 AM   #187
tldave
CF Addict

heat the bearing side of the bell up so it will brake any bonds. then you get wonder bread and stuff it down inside and use a socket extension and and a hammer, and hammer the bread down in. it fills the void and it WILL push the bearing back out. its how you get pilot bearings out of car shit. google it. and don't use soap, soap is the worst. wonder bread. should only take 1-2 pieces. the other option is heat the bell, drop a bolt down inside with a head just large enough to fit through, and yank it out against the edge of the bearing race. one side, then the other, back and forth, till it pops out. not sure which is more surgical.

Another option is to put the bolt in a vice, holding the head against the inside face of the bearing race, and tap the bell housing, but I have this feeling it would deform the housing.

also, if you have completely borked alum bolt holes, clean the fuck out of them, grind up alum into powder, mix it with jb weld, fill hole, redrill and tap. aircraft mechanics do this. i don't know what the ratio of alum powder to jb is. google does though.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-25-2019, 04:12 AM   #188
Mattson
Stressed Member
Fighter of the Month 

Funny enough I did just that last night, heated it up and whacked the housing against a large wooden mallet. The upper bearing did come out about half way so I now have a ledge to pry it out of later but the bottom bearing will not budge. I'm hesitant to hit any kind of a rod to the bottom as the casting seems pretty thing and I'm afraid it might brake through, but I figured since there's nothing more than the cage left of the bottom bearing I should be able to drill it out. Carefully with half mm increments I'm pretty sure once it thins out enough it should grab the drillbit and come out, just gotta be careful not to spin it in place too much so I wont grind it loose for the new bearing (though in a place like that I suppose a simple bushing with grease should suffice just as well)

Point to note, heated aluminum scratches super easy, managed to gouge the housing with pliers, though it will be completely hidden once fully clad I might wanna try to touch it up a wee bit.

This user High Fived Mattson!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-25-2019, 05:44 PM   #189
Mattson
Stressed Member
Fighter of the Month 

Ok this is where I desperately need some more of that good advice of yours I`ve been getting so much as it appears the previous owner had assembled the clutch wrong so bad they`ve managed to disable the slipper just as I suspected when riding the bike last summer a couple times.

Pictured above is the clutch as I would assemble it. There is a belleville washer first in the housing, against that there is a special steel disc with a friction surface facing the belleville just as instructed in the manual, then friction and steel discs in an alternating pattern.

Now the questions:

After doing that I`m left with an extra steel disc. The way the clutch was assembled was there was steel against steel on the bottom, the special disc facing the belleville then steel against that. That can`t be right? Does the picture look like it`s missing a steel to you? The front most friction plate is not quite flush to the face but the pressure plate can accommodate for the gap easily (although not sure once the belleville is pressed flat). Also there seems to be a notch on one of the ears on every disc, are they supposed to line up? That is how the pack was assembled. Also some of the center friction plates were bone dry, how the hell is that possible?!

One more question. The translation on the manual is so bad it`s sometimes almost hilarious. Can anyone with knowledge decipher what this mumbo jumbo is trying to say:

"Calibrate the anti-hopping device of the final internal teeth disc outside the conductor engine. If changed it must have the same initial thickness."

The fuck?! As far as I can tell all the other steels look exactly alike, counting in the one sitting on the workbench.

Completely stumped, seeing the shit the PO has done I`m heavily suspecting it`s assembled wrong but cannot be certain because this is the first time `ve ever seen a slipper clutch in pieces.

These people High Fived Mattson!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-25-2019, 06:29 PM   #190
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 116 Times in 103 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattson View Post

Point to note, heated aluminum scratches super easy.
I ran in to this several times when I would weld something up then try to machine it. O. r even just trying to file or sand it. I don't know at what temp aluminum goes annealed like this, but for the average joe heat treating it back in to toughness isn't practical. I kept asking around and finally discovered that you can just let it "age". Let it alone for a few days and the original hardness will return. It really does the trick. Zero issues now, just requires a bit of patience.

I'm sure someone will be along to correct my terminology.
shinyribs is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived shinyribs!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Other Motorcycle Discussion