Matty's Italian Job (Benelli Tornado TRE 900) - Page 21 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Other Motorcycle Discussion

Other Motorcycle Discussion Anything about any other type of motorcycle goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Matty's Italian Job (Benelli Tornado TRE 900)

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-26-2019, 12:18 PM   #201
tldave
CF Addict
tldave's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:39 PM
Flip Offs: 5
Flipped Off 71 Times in 42 Posts
tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Re: Matty's Italian Job (Benelli Tornado TRE 900)

if you tamp the front lip downward, it will pull inward, and alleviate some of the front surface pressure, and might give you enough to pull it out if you were to try that method. personally I would try that before I stuck any sort of power tool down inside, but thats just me looking for cave man solutions. might take 2 minutes with the right bit, just chew through one side of the race and it will pop right out.
tldave is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-26-2019, 05:05 PM   #202
Mattson
Stressed Member
Mattson's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:39 PM
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 33 Times in 21 Posts
Mattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month 

Ok I'm fairly confident I got the clutch right now. None of the pictures I looked at were 100% right but combining them and using my walnut it was pretty obvious. There is a little inconsitency in the story though. This clutch cannot be from an 1130 as it does not have the rubber cush damper assembly that the bigger bike has, however...

...it's not the bike's original clutch either.

The belleville spring goes in first there's an obvious groove for it at the bottom, and the special steel disc mates with it perfectly so that the friction band goes against the part around the spring and the spring pushes it away from the bottom. In case you haven't seen a slipper clutch before this is how it looks like. When the transmission pushes the engine part that center hub pushes the slide plate out which in turn is pushing the pressure plate out thus letting the clutch slip a little. On the parts fiche pictures the center hub is fitted the other way round but that simply would not function as both one side of the hub and the slide plate has...angled? Teeth creating an outward push when twisted one way but not the other. The thing that I cannot understand is what exactly is the point and purpose of the friction coated steel plate as no matter which way round you orient it, it is facing a non-moving surface relative to itself either the bottom of the center crown or an another steel disc, and that is bothering me quite a lot cause that seems completely illogical.

The pack is indeed stacked so that it starts steel on steel, that is the only way to get a friction plate as last, a steel cannot go on top as it would not have good purchase on the center drum teeth. On the parts fiche pictures there's a steel both on top and bottom but there's simply not enough of them.

There's also springs of two different color (and I'm assuming strength) which need to be fitted in an alternating pattern.

Benelli Tornado TRE Novecento 2006
EX: Triumph Daytona 955i DSSA 2002 Fighter
My homebrew blog thread thingy: Oddball Brewery
Mattson is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Mattson!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-26-2019, 07:23 PM   #203
tldave
CF Addict
tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

seb/yantosh weigh in on this? forkless? one of those cats should know something right?

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-30-2019, 08:16 PM   #204
Mattson
Stressed Member
Mattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month 

Reduced the pic size, hopefully it`ll help those with slower internets.

Clutch cover back in place. Fitted it without a new gasket and just used the aviation glue cause fuck you there`s no way I`m paying 50e for a single damn gasket that doesn`t even absolutely have to be there. Went through the primary tightening pattern, got all bolts to 10nm, then went over them a second time to make sure and pretty sure I felt several threads starting to give so decided to let them be, the glue has plenty of time to set before I fill the engine anyway so don`t wanna risk having to recoil yet more threads.

The fan cover mesh screens however IMO are quite a big part of the visual appearance of the tail so decided to glue those back on. The general opinion seems to be that they lessen the airflow through the radiator but since I`m not either planning to ride this bike in anger much or live in a particularly hot place I don`t suppose they`ll be an issue. The plate holder was a bit of a challenge to wire up as the diagram that comes with the service manual is all in Italian but with some help from google translate I`m fairly sure I got the plugs right. Oh and fitted the rear wheel back on. gave it a spin and discovered there`s a dent on the right side of the rim, fukken groovy...

Not a whole helluva lot I can do before placing the order for the missing bolts, O-rings and such, pretty much the only bigger hurdle left to tackle is the cyl 3 plug thread and I already have a game plan sorted for that, just need the time to do it.

Oh, also managed to find the missing feeler gauge. It was in the same bag with the valve cover gaskets! Sort of makes sense, just have no memory at all of putting it there...

This user High Fived Mattson!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-30-2019, 08:50 PM   #205
Kimmo57
Lazy bastard

CF Addict
Kimmo57's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flipped Off 22 Times in 11 Posts
Kimmo57 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Kimmo57 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Kimmo57 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Kimmo57 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Kimmo57 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Kimmo57 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Kimmo57 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Kimmo57 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Kimmo57 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Kimmo57 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Kimmo57 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

If you want to have the wheel fixed, I can recommend L-Weld in Lappeenranta.

WOMBAT (Waste Of Money, Brain And Time)

The origiSRAD
Honda CRF150R minisupermoto
Savage silliness!! Low budget modern café project
3D printed back covers for Trailtech and other stuff: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/randomtechstuff
Kimmo57 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-31-2019, 08:45 AM   #206
Mattson
Stressed Member
Fighter of the Month 

Might not do it now because budget but would probly be a good idea to fix it at some point. There's also one place in Järvenpää, IIRC it was called Amrif but if you google that it comes back as RimsWorks, not sure if it's the same place.

It's not awfully bad but a dent none the less...

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-01-2019, 01:28 AM   #207
Mattson
Stressed Member
Fighter of the Month 

Went to the garage with intentions to put the tail fairing back on until I realized I can't do that before I fit the cooling ducts on, which I cannot do before I fix the plug thread, which I cannot do before I fit the valve cover on to prevent chaff getting into the engine, so time to get creative might replace those later, might not, after all it's just cosmetics and the next person to see them is the next one to take this thing apart again. Welds are horrible cause haven't done it for so long but they hold the needed 10Nm. Always a good idea to do one last glance in the head before fitting the cover on as I found a deteriorated well nut in there!!! Has to be dropped in somewhere during the service as it was dry but whoo golly that would have been an expensive crash bang clatter when that thing woulda found a nice little gap to wedge into...

With that out of the way, if I could get the exhaust gaskets and the waterpump o-rings from general selection I may not have to order from the stealership after all. Oh and I'll be needing a new chain masterlink.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-02-2019, 04:52 PM   #208
Mattson
Stressed Member
Fighter of the Month 

You don`t fuck with a Finn and walk away. Though I have to admit it did put up a valiant fight to the bitter end but once I got this little idea flashed in my head at work today the thing didn`t stand a chance. Also finally found a place that not only does consumer sales but was happy and willing to get me the parts I need, both the O-rings and the bearings. The folks at the counter did have a chuckle about it being a shop that mainly sells parts and accessories for agricultural heavy machinery that their system does recognize the upper bearing (HK1210) but never has one gone through their inventory. The lower bearing however did not show up on the list being a 8x12x8mm so I got the closest one I could get being a 8x12x10mm, after fiddling with the shaft and the bell housing I don`t reckon that will cause any issues as there seems to be enough room (and if there isn`t it can be made) The only thing they could not get was the clutch lever/bell housing top seal which actually doesn`t look too bad at all so probly just gonna reuse the old one. Should get the parts they didn`t have in shelf either later this week or the next. Now basically all I need are the exhaust gaskets, never got around to measure them though...

Good thing I got them emergency packs after Shiny`s little mishap as I managed to burn my hand a little. The aloe burn gel seems to work wonders.

...aand of course trusting the clerk too much being in an... unfocused state myself, pissed off beyond all recognition to be precise without going into more detail to why, I missed the fact that she gave me the wrong fucking O-Rings! Both are the right diameter but the smaller is 1.8mm thick and the bigger is 2.5mm when they should have been 2.5mm&2.62mm! This however I was able to remedy from my own selections using a too thick yet too small one stretched a little which made it seat properly, wish I woulda thought of that earlier though... Yes I know a bit risky but it`s not in a critical place by any means.

Without nothing better to do or much desire to enter the house (hint:earlier) started throwing stuff at the bike I reckon wouldn`t come in the way of things yet to be done.

I`ll tell ya that`s one sexy Italian rump right there, net stockings and all...

These people High Fived Mattson!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-02-2019, 09:09 PM   #209
tldave
CF Addict

what the fuck happened to your thumb nail?
This user High Fived tldave!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-03-2019, 12:04 AM   #210
Mattson
Stressed Member
Fighter of the Month 

Stress

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Other Motorcycle Discussion