Matty's Italian Job (Benelli Tornado TRE 900) - Page 23 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Other Motorcycle Discussion

Other Motorcycle Discussion Anything about any other type of motorcycle goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Matty's Italian Job (Benelli Tornado TRE 900)

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-06-2019, 07:31 AM   #221
Mattson
Stressed Member
CF Pimp
Mattson's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:20 AM
Flip Offs: 23
Flipped Off 33 Times in 21 Posts
Mattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Matty's Italian Job (Benelli Tornado TRE 900)

My super mega precision tooled micrometer accurate upper plate holder vs the old one that was apparently made fom a piece of metal cargo binding strap. Visually not a big improvement but at least the plate is straight and level now. Honestly don`t know how I managed to drill the screw holes so askew but hey it fits and doesn`t show anywhere so...

Made this to fix the plug thread. I turned the motor so that the exhaust ports were open and went in dry to get any possible chaff off the exhaust as I fitted the nozzle of the shop vac into the exhaust port, it created so much flow I had to pull the tool out of the hole once done so pretty sure there`s no shavings in the pot. Managed to get the new plug in wit no problems BUT the thread is pretty loose so didn`t dare to tighten it too much.

BTW are the picss loading any quicker now? I significantly reduced the size, makes no difference to me but should help those with slower nets.

Was sitting back aside the bike sipping on my beer and admiring my handiwork when I suddenly noticed these under the bike. They`re definitely shims as they`re precision machined and they`ve definitely been in the engine because they have that same brown rust-like sludge that I found on some parts of the clutch, and they`ve been drenched in oil. Problem is I`ve gone through the entire engine section of the service manual as well as all parts fiche pics three times and to save my life I cannot figure out where these could possibly go. Now I`m very, very worried...

Clutch command refurb project took a backstep too, I apparently managed to order the wrong bearing for the bottom, too high won`t align right, now I gotta figure a way to get it back out and order the right one.

Airbox in place though (damn it`s a royal pain to fit) so come evening gonna go throw the tank on. Should be able to assemble the front end now if I don`t fit the lower fairings yet as the exhaust still needs them seals ( and the studs refitted once I soak em in diesel and get the stuck nuts off)

Man this fucker is complicated to assemble...

Benelli Tornado TRE Novecento 2006
EX: Triumph Daytona 955i DSSA 2002 Fighter
My homebrew blog thread thingy: Oddball Brewery
Mattson is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Mattson!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-06-2019, 03:39 PM   #222
JamesHambleton
Wanna be racer

CF Addict
JamesHambleton's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:20 AM
Flip Offs: 9
Flipped Off 5 Times in 3 Posts
JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattson View Post
Managed to find exhaust gaskets, they're fibre alloy but I'll gladly take them over nothing. Coming from UK, something went sideways on the order process though and the site only charged me for the parts and nothing for shipping, wonder if I should send an email or just sit it out waiting if they send or contact... Not in a hurry but don't like unconfirmed situations...
wemoto?
JamesHambleton is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-06-2019, 03:58 PM   #223
Mattson
Stressed Member
CF Pimp
Mattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month 

MCP Motorcycle Products

This user High Fived Mattson!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-11-2019, 05:34 PM   #224
Mattson
Stressed Member
CF Pimp
Fighter of the Month 

Been chasing my tail with those fukken washers, even took the entire clutch/gearbox kaboodle out and apart one night assembling everything back together right after and all I could find was an oil gallery that the PO had managed to sealant-glue shut. Even asked around at the benelli forum, no one seems to have a clue what these are or where they belong. Just went through the shop manual yet again and I`m getting pretty convinced that even if they do belong to this bike, they are NOT from inside the engine. Well at least do not belong there...

Clutch command bottom bearing and a new top seal ordered and received, the right one this time, exhaust seals on their way from UK, new chain masterlink in the mail. If all goes well might get the thing off the lift sometime during Easter weekend.

Which reminds me gotta run it past the diagnostic test again to see if the TPS issue is now fixed.

More tupperware slapped on. Getting there...

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-13-2019, 05:57 PM   #225
Mattson
Stressed Member
CF Pimp
Fighter of the Month 

Finally managed to get the new but wrong bearing off the clutch command bell housing when I fabricated this off a steel strike anchor. I tried with the brass ones several times but they just kept on breaking once I got them up to grip torque so I fitted a bolt onto a dril, threaded this onto it and spun it against a metal file until desired shape was achieved. Managed to get past the new bearing spinning issue with this as well as this has a small bullet inside that you strike in to make it expand before threading in the extractor.

This is all it took, 8mm instead of 10mm in height, smallest bearing I`ve ever held in my hand.

...aaand of course my greatest fear just had to materialize when the casting of the clutch command finally succumbed to the temperature fluctuations and the forces of all the pounding. I managed to build some of it back with technoweld but in the process cooking the new bearings as well, here`s hoping I didn`t damage them. I did fill the housing with thick vaseline upon assembly but for some reason the clutch is incredibly stiff now, hoping once I get the engine oil in and circulating it`ll get softer.

Doesn`t look like it but managed to get a good bunch of parts fitted, basically all I need at the moment are the exhaust port seals so I can fit the manifold and the muffler, fill in oil and coolant, fit lower fairings and that should pretty much be it. I tried hooking up TuneEcu as well to check on the new TPS but for some reason failed to establish connection between the bike and the laptop so that shall remain a mystery for now as well.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-14-2019, 03:21 AM   #226
a_morti
GURU

CF Addict
Local Time: 10:20 AM
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 22 Times in 14 Posts
a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

This bike seems like the exact reason I'd never own an Italian bike. Get it running and fk it off mate, you'll never have it fixed except between breakdowns.

Also, you know fully well that the clutch isn't going to fix itself. Take it back apart and find what's sticking.

Aaron, living in Gibraltar and riding a 2014 MSX125 (Grom) with a bunch of shiny shite on it. Slow n loud!
a_morti is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-14-2019, 03:40 AM   #227
tldave
CF Addict
tldave's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:20 AM
Flip Offs: 5
Flipped Off 67 Times in 39 Posts
tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

fuck him, he doesn't know what he's talking about. ride free or die on this hill bro!!

also I would never do what you are doing. I picked up a 929 that had been parked for a decade. now I am riding it. needed brakes. ill get around to the other stuff.
tldave is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived tldave!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-14-2019, 03:44 AM   #228
bonehead
idiot
Fighter
bonehead's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:20 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
bonehead has a brilliant futurebonehead has a brilliant futurebonehead has a brilliant futurebonehead has a brilliant futurebonehead has a brilliant futurebonehead has a brilliant futurebonehead has a brilliant futurebonehead has a brilliant futurebonehead has a brilliant futurebonehead has a brilliant futurebonehead has a brilliant future
Fighter of the Month 

[QUOTE=tldave;3121006]fuck him, he doesn't know what he's talking about. ride free or die on this hill bro!!

Seeking clarification, who doesn't know what he's talking about Dave?
bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-14-2019, 04:00 AM   #229
Mattson
Stressed Member
CF Pimp
Fighter of the Month 

The reason the clutch is sticking is the pushrod binding onto the walls, it gets lubed once the oilpump is running. I did coat it in oil when I pushed it in but it was quite clearly sicking a little. I'm absolutely positive the clutch is assembled right and these bikes are known to have a stiff lever so not gonna cry foul until I get the thing running and the oil flowing.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-14-2019, 04:46 PM   #230
Mattson
Stressed Member
CF Pimp
Fighter of the Month 

Fluids in, went with Shell Advance Ultra 15w50 which is a little stiffer than recommended but I'm told it should help with the gears, some folks even use 20w50 but couldn't find that in full synth. I bet no one will be surprised when I say this thing is a right bastard to get the coolant in, still not convinced it's full but cannot do anything more until I get it off the table (the manual actually tells you to tip it over on both sides several times to get the air out!) Also tried to refurb the exhaust stud bolts, got all but one nut off even after soaking in diesel for a couple weeks, the last one is moving too but refusing to get off so let it soak in wd40 for a little more.

Guess I better start cleaning the garage if I fancy getting the bike out when the chimney seals arrive.

Oh and @a_morti I pumped the clutch several times, let it sit and pumped more about five times, it's much smoother already though still stiff so I'm betting my money on needing lubricant from the pump.

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Other Motorcycle Discussion