1994 Fireblade Hack - Page 3 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > 1994 Fireblade Hack

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-29-2019, 05:49 PM   #21
a_morti
GURU

CF Addict
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:51 PM
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 24 Times in 14 Posts
a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Re: 1994 Fireblade Hack

A short piece of vacuum or fuel hose split along its length may do as a stop gap for the tank rubbers.

Aaron, living in Gibraltar and riding a 2014 MSX125 (Grom) with a bunch of shiny shite on it. Slow n loud!
a_morti is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived a_morti!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-29-2019, 05:51 PM   #22
a_morti
GURU

CF Addict
a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Dave, you're going to advise someone to run their tyres at 'low to mid 20' psi range?

That's way, way down from what the manufacturer says (36/42), and verging on running a flat. I'd say it's a great way to increase fuel consumption, get weird wallowy handling, lose speed, and maybe even get a tyre delaminate in the long term.

It's a good thing you know everything about bikes, eh.

Aaron, living in Gibraltar and riding a 2014 MSX125 (Grom) with a bunch of shiny shite on it. Slow n loud!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-30-2019, 11:22 AM   #23
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Addict
Junkie's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:51 AM
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Junkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to behold
Fighter of the Month 

36/42 is WAY too high unless the bike is seriously loaded down. It might be reasonable for touring 2 up, but solo without a bunch of shit on the bike you'll never get any heat into the tires.

I wouldn't quite run low to mid 20s on a leadrebike, more likely high 20s when riding for fun, but nowhere near 36/42.

A steering damper dampens steering oscillations. If it starts to leak, it may become a steering dampener. There's no such thing as a dampner.

Bikes: naked SV1000 with all the possible bling, FE570, FS570, 450XCF SM trackbike
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-30-2019, 02:00 PM   #24
AgentOrange
Aspiring Hooligan
Fighterer
AgentOrange's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
AgentOrange is a name known to allAgentOrange is a name known to allAgentOrange is a name known to allAgentOrange is a name known to allAgentOrange is a name known to allAgentOrange is a name known to allAgentOrange is a name known to allAgentOrange is a name known to allAgentOrange is a name known to allAgentOrange is a name known to allAgentOrange is a name known to all

Seems like most people run about 30 pounds, I'm 160 pounds without gear.
I have taken off about 30 pounds of fairing, brackets, etc. I'm not sure if that is enough weight to affect tire pressures.

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-30-2019, 04:09 PM   #25
AgentOrange
Aspiring Hooligan
Fighterer
AgentOrange is a name known to allAgentOrange is a name known to allAgentOrange is a name known to allAgentOrange is a name known to allAgentOrange is a name known to allAgentOrange is a name known to allAgentOrange is a name known to allAgentOrange is a name known to allAgentOrange is a name known to allAgentOrange is a name known to allAgentOrange is a name known to all

Greased and dialed the head bearings, just a little drag. The last guy who touched it must have thought the top nut had something to do with the bearing preload. I just about broke my back getting that thing off. The preload nut was finger tight and the grease was dry. Would have made an interesting first ride.

Another issue I came across is the rear brake caliper. There seems to be a hug amount of play. As far as I can find there are no missing parts and nothing is too worn. The caliper plate, caliper, and pads are seem to be wandering and embedding themselves into everything around it. The top pin seems to fit very poorly, tons of slop. Like missing a bronze sleeve type of slop....

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.
This user High Fived AgentOrange!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-30-2019, 06:05 PM   #26
a_morti
GURU

CF Addict

The caliper floats on the mounting bracket, in and out in the sliding pin (front) with rubber boot and the rubber bushing on the (rear) fixed bolt (sorry not sure on tech terms here). If the rubber boot on the sliding pin gets torn and the grease gets out, the sliding pin will run metal on metal where the soft cast alloy hole will expand. It could also just get worn with very high miles.

If the front hole in the mounting plate is wollered out, the mounting plate may be junk. Unless you're really good at drilling off centre holes and fitting brass bushes in them.

If the hole still looks round, could be that replacing the rubber boots will do it.

The boots usually tear due to people using ordinary grease on the sliding pins. You need to use rubber safe grease, ordinary grease will absorb in the rubber making it swell, then tear.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-30-2019, 06:10 PM   #27
a_morti
GURU

CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
36/42 is WAY too high unless the bike is seriously loaded down. It might be reasonable for touring 2 up, but solo without a bunch of shit on the bike you'll never get any heat into the tires.

I wouldn't quite run low to mid 20s on a leadrebike, more likely high 20s when riding for fun, but nowhere near 36/42.
I used to run 32/36 for regular road riding on the last blade I had, rode just fine. If it dipped 5psi lower I could tell in a bad way, any less than that I couldn't tell (as I found out with a slow puncture in the rear). Still 10psi more than Dave recommends.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-30-2019, 07:31 PM   #28
AgentOrange
Aspiring Hooligan
Fighterer

The hole is definitely wollered out. Looks pretty round. The pin measures 9mm, the hole is just over 10mm. I could probably drill it out and press a bronze bush in there. Mcmaster has them for just under $2.00.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-30-2019, 07:44 PM   #29
a_morti
GURU

CF Addict

It isn't meant to be a tight fit as the rubber takes up play. But it is meant to be round. Get yourself a set of rubbers, and see if that solves it. If not, go crazy with bushings.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-31-2019, 08:59 PM   #30
AgentOrange
Aspiring Hooligan
Fighterer

Figured out the brakes. The boots weren't seated. Bled the rear brakes. The fronts probably need a rebuild, the fluid was milky, I ran out of fluid before it cleared up.

Adjusted and cleaned the chain, need a new one of those too. Just past the "replace chain" line.

Grips, jets, and spark plugs showed up today. Should have some time Friday.

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes