Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Phoebe's FF09 Review & Photos

24K views 97 replies 34 participants last post by  Fate 
#1 ·
I left RI around 8am or so to head to NJ to meet up with Paul. The Blast was loaded up with the ugly saddlebags that came with the bike and a day pack strapped to the seat. I had to represent:

The ride to NJ was actually pretty nice, even though it took a little longer than expected. When I got there, I got to meet this handsome fellow, Tank:

He and I hit it off immediately; he played with me a lot, then took a nap under my feet. :) Paul and I got some kickass pizza for lunch, then chilled a bit while we waited for Adam.

Adam, Seth and his girl (sorry, can't remember her name...Amber?) met up with us at Paul's around 4pm, so we geared up and headed out. Then the problems began. Seth's trailer had too much tongue weight on his lowered WRX, so it was causing one (both?) of the back tires to rub on the inner fender well. So, no sooner than we got on the highway, we were pulled over on the side of the road. After doing a little work, the guys got the trailer hooked up to Adam's truck instead, and we went out in search of a tire store that was still open (by this time it was after 5pm). I have to admit, it was nice to chill out in the air conditioned lobby of the tire shop for a while, since it was hot as hell out on the road.

My "Buell Mule" at the tire store. It's like the Spruce Goose in that both people who thought they had a good idea were crazy:

But, eventually, the tires were mounted up on Seth's car and we were good to go. Or were we? Paul's bike wouldn't start. So, they bumped it, it ran for a bit, then died. Paul was ready to give up and go home at that point, but Seth generously offered up his bike to ride, so they swapped out Seth's bike from the trailer and put Paul's bike on it. Then we were good to go, for real this time.

Swapping out the bikes:

I don't know what time it was when we got to the resort, but we were tired, hot, and bug-covered. Or at least Paul and I were, anyway. I believe the first thing I did after I took my gear off was grab a beer and made with the introductions. Fister gave me an awesome present of a Michelin Man keychain and puzzle. Thanks Fister! You're awesome :D

Got to see the charity bike for the first time:

Truck and Scraps then hacked into the swinger brace:

And this was just Thursday... (to be continued)

See less See more
#5 ·
Haha, it did look pretty bad at that point. I'm sure sweating your ass off in the helmet didn't help either.

Anyway, many more pics coming! I just had to run Disk Warrior on my computer because it was screwed up. I should have another post up shortly.

#6 ·
Ok, Friday. Incidentally, this was my birthday...and none of you remembered. :mad: But that's ok, I'm just teasing...I still had a great birthday anyway. :D

The sky didn't look so bad when we left the resort, but shortly after we got to FF09, it started raining. And then it didn't let up the whole time we were there. I did, however, get some pics before the sky opened up on us. Here we go:

The Moto-Madness tent:

And a whole bunch of bikes:

And a few cool non-streetfighters, like these bobbers:

And replicas of the bikes from Easy Rider:

And the amazing Toyota/Ducati track day prototype truck:

To be continued...

#7 ·
Friday night the shitshow began. BigBellyRacing brought his little Honda 50 and a bunch of people took turns on it, including me.

Nailbomb on the 50:

Truck on the 50:

And then I got on the 50, did my first ever wheelies and stoppies (other people have pics of that) and on my last stoppie, I hit the painted arrow on the asphalt and dumped it pretty hard. There was a collective "OHHH!" from the crowd, but I popped back up and exclaimed "I'm ok!". The damage was a bruised right knee, scraped up right elbow, scraped right thigh, and some rash on my hands. The left hand took it worse, but it wasn't so bad at all:

Truck and Fister worked on getting the 2-stroke 50 up and running:

And Paul and Wolfman had a beer pong tournament:

And this is why he's called Wolfman:

To be continued...

#11 ·
On Saturday the weather cooperated and we had a very clear, sunny day. A bunch of us left our bikes there at the fest so we wouldn't have to ride in the rain Friday night. Even though I did a lot of walking around on Friday because I was bored, most of the vendors had their tents all closed up. On Saturday I got to see the huge array of parts, accessories, bikes, and services that the vendors had to offer. Nailbomb and I decided to head over to the wheelie machine. Thanks to Nailbomb's girlfriend Cassie for the pics of me on the wheelie machine:

I'm trying!

Getting better...

It's up!

I look like I'm enjoying myself, right? :)

In between me and Nailbomb, a guy I dubbed "Mr. Cool" rode the wheelie machine. He made it look easy:

Then it was Nailbomb's turn. He did really well:

I'm pretty sure he was having a good time too:

More bikes:

Roman's amazing TL1000 cafe racer:

And his V-Strom:

Oh yeah, I almost forgot...I realized that morning I had a roommate:

Just a little beetle I found in my bed. It was already dead.

To be continued...

#15 ·
Sunday was the final day of the fest, and the mood was pretty chill. Over by our tent we didn't get much of a view of the Starboyz stunting, so I decided to head over to the grandstand to watch one of the shows. Two of the interesting things they did were the fire burnout and the burnout until the tire popped. That sent bits of tire into the crowd:

I got my bike dyno'd that day, and it was well worth it. The guy running it was pretty excited to test my bike since he hadn't done a Blast before. He did about 7 pulls I believe, and adjusted the idle air mixture a little and cleaned my air filter. Just that added an additional 3 hp. However, my bike is still running too lean despite both jets being +2 sizes over stock. He recommended I go up another 3 sizes on both, and I should see probably another +5 hp from that. Amazingly, this only cost me $50:

More pics of Roman's bikes, including the really cool hybrid motard:

And Roman showing the Starboyz how it's done with a little impromptu stunt show on the motard:

After the fest was over, we headed back to the resort and chilled out by the pool for a bit. The restroom was on the other side of the pool, which was apparently a little too far away for Truck:

Later that night when packing up, Seth decided to do a flat-tire burnout:

...which left a rather impressive crater!

We got a special visit by Mothra:

And someone marked our territory:

To be continued...

#16 ·
Whoops, I sort of forgot this one for Saturday...the Miss Carlisle pageant! Some of us had arguably the best view, and I called the winner (the one with the star tattoos):

To be continued...

#18 ·
On Monday I was the first one up. I needed to get an early start because I was taking a side trip to Centralia, PA before heading home. But, before I left I decided to decorate Adam's truck for him:

The ride to Centraila was actually pretty nice, and with the mini fairing I got from ATL, the Blast was actually stable enough to ride at 80mph. I didn't get to spend as much time in Centralia as I wanted, and I was a bit disappointed that I couldn't find the old parts of the town. It was really overgrown and many of the roads weren't even what I would call gravel...more like fist-sized stones (or bigger). I did take the Blast down some of them, but after a while I thought better and decided I really didn't need a popped tire (or two). I did manage to snap a few pics while there, though. Surprisingly, there were several other people there visiting as well. I wouldn't have guessed it would be such an attraction:

The last place I expected to see a Klaus Nomi stencil:

This is what most of Centraila looked like. There were some smouldering mounds here and there:

And these weird, creepy vent things:

Road to nowhere:

Nailbomb said there was more to see, but you had to dig deeper. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to do that, so I headed home after being there about an hour and a half or so. I would love to go back and see more though...I'm intrigued.

And...that's it for pics!

#55 ·
Man After seeing all these pictures I am really sorry I missed FF09. I really enjoyed seeing all the great fighter last year and was looking forward to this year. I’ll definitely be there next year. Phoebe you took some great shots and if you don’t mind I would like copies of the hi-res shots of Roman’s TL1000 and I’m not sure whose bike it is but the green and black 929 if you have them. I'll pm you my email address. I got a 929 in pieces in the garage and this is some great inspiration.

Thanks again Phoebe...

#20 ·

And here's a pic of phoebe goin two up on the way to the dyno

#21 · (Edited)
And here's a pic of phoebe goin two up on the way to the dyno
Haha, look at me...I look like a little badass :D

Edit: That's Shotgun on the back, btw. That's the first time I ever had anyone on the back...there's no passenger pegs!

#30 ·
I'd definitely like to go back.

Hey on the forum I did suggest taking a group ride out there while at FF09, but there didn't seem to be much of an interest in going. It's about an hour and 20 minutes away from the resort. It's a very easy and pretty ride through the countryside.

#35 ·
I forgot to mention, I did have a creepy moment there in Centralia. Over by the "road to nowhere" area, there was a trail that led into the woods where the road ended. So, I took off my helmet and walked back there maybe 100 yards or so. I had my camera with me. There in the middle of the woods I found an old-looking canvas tent and a campsite. I have no idea if it was still active or if anyone was there or not. It creeped me right the fuck out and I went back to the bike without taking a picture. It was like horror movie kind of creepy. *shivers*

#36 ·
How come truck sisn't just piss in the pool? I do all the time.

BTW, you dont wanna go in the pool at my apt cpmplex. Just sayin.....

#39 ·
Anytime ANYBODY ever wants to come to Centralia, let me know, I live like 20 minutes from there. I have never really explored around there much, but would love too! I wish I'd have known you were coming up this way Pheebs, I would have met you there...
They have slowly over the years been eliminating buildings, it was a shame they tore down the huge church on top of the hill, it was spooky!, it hasn't been there for about 10 years though...

#40 · (Edited)
i live like 10 mins from Centralia back in my youth it was a hang out for us kids.

Centralia was a huge coal mining town in the 60s and a fire was started and some how spread into one of the coal caves.

I've camped in Centralia for weeks and weeks at a time. i know the place inside and out.. its best viwed by ATVs or dirt bikes. the shit you see is AMAZING and (yes you will fall into pretty deep holes and ruts) its one of the best 4x4 places that PA has to offer.

there use to be a building there called the speed spot.

that building doesn't stand anymore. I know ive mentioned out loud to a few of you what happen but i will not ever post what happen. its a secret that i will carry to my grave (or another 9 years :LolLolLolLol:)

just a brief synopsis we were having a party in Centralia 10 or 11 of my friends were in the speed spot. this building was abandon pretty much full. up stairs had tons and tons of old motorcycle gear and parts. everything you would expect a motorcycle shop to have. i even have a skin tight speed spot t shirt that i took from the atic of that place a long long time ago

In our adventures we found a huge old abandon coal processing plant. Now its DEEEEEEEEP in the woods that's majorly over grown now. acess to this requires a 4x4 with some serious wheel travel a few ATVs or adventurous hikers.

the place is amazing. they literally got up and left for fear of the bulding catching on fire. you can find old time cards everything you would expect a work plant to have. We even found old lunch pales in lockers with very very rotten food in the pales and such. Most of it i am sure is picked clean now but it was amazing. I wish i could find those pictures but shit.. this was back in 2001

I could go see if that place is still around some time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.