Shiny's adventure with dirtbikes - Page 3 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Dirty Tards & Minis

Dirty Tards & Minis Everything about dirtbikes, motards and minis goes in here!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Shiny's adventure with dirtbikes

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-15-2017, 10:06 AM   #21
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:37 AM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: XR400R

I've seen quite a few online that were sumo'd up. I thought they looked really good. I wouldn't mind having a 600 or 65O sumo'd, not sure I'd spend the effort on the 400 unless I never rode outside of town.

Spent three hours and 2qts of fluid trying to bleed the front brake yesterday. Never lever, no pressure, no air bubbles- nothing. Weird. Decided to give the ziptie trick a go, so headed out in a few to see if that performed any miracles while I slept.
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-15-2017, 11:06 AM   #22
HickLife
GURU

CF Addict
HickLife's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:37 AM
Flip Offs: 1
Flipped Off 10 Times in 9 Posts
HickLife is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!HickLife is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!HickLife is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!HickLife is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!HickLife is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!HickLife is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!HickLife is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!HickLife is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!HickLife is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!HickLife is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!HickLife is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

What is the zip tie trick supposed to do? Force fluid into dry spaces?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fallen angel build- http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=78474

96 vulcan 1500- http://www.customfighters.com/forums...d.php?t=123177

Fallen Angel Build Off Thread- http://www.customfighters.com/forums...73#post2755273

Fallen Angel Build Off Discussion- http://www.customfighters.com/forums...89#post2755289

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_saugerty View Post
Only weak people test the engine. Real brave guys assemble the bike and then tries to start it
HickLife is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-15-2017, 11:31 AM   #23
jmartin1110
The Hell You Say!!

CF Pimp
jmartin1110's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 53
Flipped Off 12 Times in 9 Posts
jmartin1110 spends too much time on herejmartin1110 spends too much time on herejmartin1110 spends too much time on herejmartin1110 spends too much time on herejmartin1110 spends too much time on herejmartin1110 spends too much time on herejmartin1110 spends too much time on herejmartin1110 spends too much time on herejmartin1110 spends too much time on herejmartin1110 spends too much time on herejmartin1110 spends too much time on here

Supposed to let any trapped air float to the top by leaving the mc open. I have used a few times when I had a soft lever and it worked pretty good.

1981 Honda SS Build
KZ1000 Discussion Thread
KZ1000 Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJellyFingers View Post
u gonna look so sexy naked.... I would say no homo, but totally homo since that that sentence can't not be homo
jmartin1110 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-15-2017, 12:27 PM   #24
HickLife
GURU

CF Addict
HickLife's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 1
Flipped Off 10 Times in 9 Posts
HickLife is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!HickLife is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!HickLife is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!HickLife is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!HickLife is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!HickLife is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!HickLife is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!HickLife is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!HickLife is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!HickLife is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!HickLife is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

I've never tried it myself but i knew there were tons of people that do it, i just didnt know the reason why it worked or what itwas doing exactly

Fallen angel build- http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=78474

96 vulcan 1500- http://www.customfighters.com/forums...d.php?t=123177

Fallen Angel Build Off Thread- http://www.customfighters.com/forums...73#post2755273

Fallen Angel Build Off Discussion- http://www.customfighters.com/forums...89#post2755289

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_saugerty View Post
Only weak people test the engine. Real brave guys assemble the bike and then tries to start it
HickLife is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-15-2017, 12:43 PM   #25
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Yep, air floats up is the idea I heard. Makes sense, I guess, but no luck here.

It's odd. I can open the bleeder and pump solid streams of fluid all day, but zero pressure. The pistons in the caliper move when I pump and you can see the brake line pulse, but nothing. I don't get it. I know there's air in there. The system was bone dry and zero air came out. First time I've ever had problems with this, but it's also the first time I've owned a tiny 10mm bore MC,too. It doesn't move much fluid.

Gonna ride the trusty Kawi over to HF and check out their vacuum dealios. I've heard good things about them.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-15-2017, 01:35 PM   #26
jmartin1110
The Hell You Say!!

CF Pimp
jmartin1110's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 53
Flipped Off 12 Times in 9 Posts
jmartin1110 spends too much time on herejmartin1110 spends too much time on herejmartin1110 spends too much time on herejmartin1110 spends too much time on herejmartin1110 spends too much time on herejmartin1110 spends too much time on herejmartin1110 spends too much time on herejmartin1110 spends too much time on herejmartin1110 spends too much time on herejmartin1110 spends too much time on herejmartin1110 spends too much time on here

They make life a lot easier. That's who I got mine through. Just gotta watch the reservoir or it'll run out on you

1981 Honda SS Build
KZ1000 Discussion Thread
KZ1000 Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJellyFingers View Post
u gonna look so sexy naked.... I would say no homo, but totally homo since that that sentence can't not be homo
jmartin1110 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-15-2017, 04:45 PM   #27
Casper
The friendly Ghost.
Casper's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:37 AM
Flip Offs: 188
Flipped Off 34 Times in 28 Posts
Casper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympus

Zip tie trick is to compress the air bubbles in the system to a smaller size and allow them through the connections in the system. When not under pressure they can be large enough to fit the entire diameter of the hose and then be under capillary forces as well as surface tension forces with not enough buoyancy to lift the bubble from the hose. The decrease in size can squeeze it to smaller than the diameter of the hose and remove the capillary forces and allow the buoyancy to overcome any surface tension forces.

Think of a shake with a large strawberry in the straw and the suction required to pull it through versus a small strawberry in the straw, the large one has more resistance due to the walls of the straw acting upon it.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Casper!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-15-2017, 06:27 PM   #28
F'dup
Hack in a barn

CF Pimp
F'dup's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 35
Flipped Off 9 Times in 9 Posts
F'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month 

Vac bleeders are pretty damn handy. Two bits of advise when using them though.

Wrap the threads of the bleeder with some teflon tape to help prevent air being pulled through them.

Apply vac to the unit before cracking the bleeder. This will get a good seal on the hose around the bleeder. It's a really leaky part of the design. Then just crack and let it drop some pressure and tighten before you go to no vac.

Those two things can trick you because you'll see air bubbles but the aren't from the brake system.

And definitely what "jmartin1100" said, that fluid will empty fast out of the M/C.

2017 build off sv650 build thread <---Click here

SV650 b.s.'n and post build off progress on the bike thread thread <---Click here

DR650 supermoto build <--click

2000 R6 build <--click

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_Raz View Post
A bit of vaseline should lube your bush up real nice though. Just make sure that your shaft is a good fit.
F'dup is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived F'dup!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-15-2017, 07:07 PM   #29
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Vac leaks around the bleed nipple always seemed like a concern to me, even though I've never used one. Still haven't, in fact!

I called my buddy who runs a bike shop to pick his brain about vac bleeders since he's had a few. He asked what I had going on and suggested I just needed to hone the MC. I was skeptical, but I trust him, so I tossed the whole front brake assembly in my saddle bag and rode to his shop to bum his hone.

His hone only goes down to 14mm, so we ended cutting a slit in a wooden dowel to hold a scrap of scouring pad. One quick pass with the hone revealed TONS of low spots. I was shocked. I inspected the bore closely before installing the new kit and didn't see anything funky at all. A few more passes cleared up the low spots and -bam- instant firm lever. Just bled it out normally on the bench in no time. Maybe cracked the bleeder 10 times altogether.

"Every day is a school day", as Yantosh said.

Then he hopped on his XR 650L and we rode around in the mud some. So technically, still no brakes on the bike, but it was a good day.

I wonder if Cortech throw-over bags are machine washable?
These people High Fived shinyribs!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-15-2017, 07:09 PM   #30
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

And +rep to Casper for the awesome milkshake analogy
This user High Fived shinyribs!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Dirty Tards & Minis