Shiny's adventure with dirtbikes - Page 4 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Dirty Tards & Minis

Dirty Tards & Minis Everything about dirtbikes, motards and minis goes in here!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Shiny's adventure with dirtbikes

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-29-2017, 10:43 AM   #31
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:45 AM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: XR400R

Finally!

Actually, the head is on now. But I need to check the FSM to double check cam timing and valve lash before buttoning her back up.

Now we're expecting more snow
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived shinyribs!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-30-2017, 12:27 AM   #32
MikeGyver
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
MikeGyver's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:45 PM
Flip Offs: 309
Flipped Off 170 Times in 147 Posts
MikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too much
Default Medal Fighter of the Month 

That looks purdy

'98 Ducati 916
'00 Ducati 996
'03 SV650(sold)

Skully Stickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbuc View Post
yell, "Built not bought mother fucker!" in there face and then spit on their bike and walk off.
MikeGyver is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived MikeGyver!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-30-2017, 08:23 PM   #33
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGyver View Post
That looks purdy
Runs good, too!

Just buttoned it up a few hours ago. Feels so tiny compared to the KLR. Almost surprised how tiny it felt when I hopped on it today. I wouldn't mind a taller seat, tbh.

Found out the PO had installed the compression ring upside down, so that couldn't have been running as it should. The manual decompressor is an absolute necessity now. I cannot kick through the compression stroke anymore. Plus, the Wiseco is 10:1 and I think stock was a little over 9?

I never did get to ride the bike enough before ( odo showed about 100 miles) to learn what it likes as far as a cold starting sequence, but it fired up within 5 or 6 kicks. Since 1 kick doesn't equal a full 4-stroke cycle, I'm happy with that.

Runs quiet,smooth and strong. Refreshed brakes are strong and predictable. New clutch is smooth, I hope it holds up well.

Only got to ride the bike about 5 miles to check things out. I'll dump the oil, new filter, run the valves then give it hell tomorrow evening.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-01-2017, 08:21 AM   #34
Cookie2000ad
Persuasion Engineered
Cookie2000ad's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:45 AM
Flip Offs: 166
Flipped Off 59 Times in 27 Posts
Cookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CK
Default Medal Burnout Contest Winner Fighter of the Month 

Missed this thread, subbed now! Inspiring me to get stuck into the dirty bike!
Cookie2000ad is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Cookie2000ad!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-01-2017, 11:08 PM   #35
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Don't do it! You'll be bored on pavement afterwards

I need to get some plastic polished up. I know this thing is gonna hit the ground a lot, but it does look a little too dingy. Even for my low standards.

I started cleaning up my spare tank, but I got tired of chasing it all over. After the shop gets a thorough clean up I'm gonna whip up a buck to work on these body panels.

However....eBay and laziness are taking root. I can order all new fenders and side panels for $100 to my door.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-11-2017, 08:34 PM   #36
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

This morning was rear tire maintenance. Huge improvement! Think I'm gonna add some cuts for lateral traction in the morning.

So much more fun than buying new street tires.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-25-2017, 11:57 AM   #37
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Looks like my tire didn't appreciate the razor blade treatment.

So I had to throw money at it.

MT16 Garacross. What'sa Gara? I have no clue, but let's go see how it does

Knobs are falling​ off the front tire, too. Gotta new one of those on the way. Found out one of my cousins got a job working for a bike shop in the evenings after school, and they all ride/race harescrambles. My cousin and his brother have been doing it since they were kids on 50's. I can get a 10% family discount on anything in the store. But I'll feel guilty not supporting the same shop my buddy owns that's been hooking me up for years. Well, at least I've got options.

Y'all be safe out there
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-25-2017, 07:42 PM   #38
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW
SEBSPEED's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 53
Flipped Off 57 Times in 47 Posts
SEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

Next time flip the tire to reverse rotation if you need a little more grip, for a little longer...

Find me on Facebook at Sebspeed Customs

Float like a Goldwing, sting like a gixxer

2015 FOTY VFR750

2016 threads
Turbo 7/11

750 Slingshot
Discussion thread

2017 thread
VFR800 Build
SEBSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived SEBSPEED!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-25-2017, 09:00 PM   #39
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

The tire had been flipped once before, that's why both sides of the knobs were already rounded.

I'm on the fence on the MT16. Braking and off camber traction is great. Brake slides/sliding the rear out on corners is very predictable. But straight line traction is, ehh...not 100%. It's heavy, but mounted easy. Only needed one tire iron. Weird tire. I think I like it.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-26-2017, 04:52 PM   #40
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

This morning was a quick fork spring swap. Stock is .40kg and these are .50kg. Picked them up second hand from a guy on another forum. $75 to my door.

HUGE difference. Stiffer springs making the bike ride way plusher is counterintuitive, but when your forks are compressed to far you are riding too far down in to the stroke, or basically, you're past the slow speed valving and jarring your teeth on the high speed valving instead.

Two things I didn't expect today:
1: When I opened my freshly serviced forks to pop these sittings in my oil was filthy. Really filthy. I need to look in to an hour meter to keep better track of these things. Did not expect to find trashed oil after only a couple months of riding.

2: After a quick sub-two hour ride ( rain got hard) my forks were hot. Not scalding hot, but very warm. Probably 100 or more. I was only riding at about 80% . Rear shock reservoir was even hotter. Weird.

Maybe I'll get in touch with Race Tech and see about modernizing these cartridges a little bit. And get a new rear spring while I'm at it.

This girl's a keeper. I don't mind dropping a few hundred on dialing in the bouncy stuff on this one.

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Dirty Tards & Minis