Center stand resting on shock linkage - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Brakes and Suspension

Brakes and Suspension Anything to do with fabricating and modifying brakes and suspension goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Center stand resting on shock linkage

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-28-2019, 08:58 PM   #1
Ride
Noobie
Ride's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:28 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride is a NOOB
Default Center stand resting on shock linkage

Iíve replaced the exhaust on a Bandit 600 with an aftermarket one. In so doing I no longer have a rest for the center stand when itís retracted.

Providing I source a suitable replacement bolt, bushings, etc... am I crazy to do this?

The center stand vertical spring pressure at that spot is about 12lbs or 5.5kg. The center stand will follow the movement of the suspension lever. Is this enough force to throw off anything? Shock is a cbr600rr with adjustable preload and damping.

I really donít have any other good options that I can see aside from a pit stand which isnít my preference as I live in an apartment.
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-01-2019, 04:54 PM   #2
yantosh

yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:28 AM
Flip Offs: 13
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Center stand resting on shock linkage

have a stop tacked onto the new exhaust ? fab up a bracket from a suitable mount on frame ? weld something onto stand that touches something, take centre stand off?
yantosh is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived yantosh!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-02-2019, 01:39 AM   #3
a_morti
GURU

CF Addict
Local Time: 07:28 AM
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 24 Times in 14 Posts
a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

When you let the bike off the stand, it comes up at quite a pace. It'll hit that bolt hard enough to bend it, which I guess may put the bearings inside out of line and kill those, and they're expensive.

Yan (as ever!) Has the better plan.

Aaron, living in Gibraltar and riding a 2014 MSX125 (Grom) with a bunch of shiny shite on it. Slow n loud!
a_morti is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived a_morti!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-03-2019, 12:18 PM   #4
Ride
Noobie
Ride is a NOOB

Iíll take another look. Tired of looking this resto/rebuild has been going on 3 years and wish I realized the center stand issue before sand blasting, paint and installing the engine!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-03-2019, 07:10 PM   #5
sebwiers
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdxǝ

CF Pimp
sebwiers's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:28 AM
Flip Offs: 21
Flipped Off 36 Times in 19 Posts
sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

The center stand in that case is gonna make noise and bounce around as the link moves. You want the rest to be something that doesn't move relative to the stand / frame. Can't say what the easy solution there would be without seeing the whole layout, but I see a bolt that looks to be for a mufflet bracket or some such in the upper right of the picture; maybe get some bar stock and bend a bracket that comes down from there to act as a stop, with some padding where it contacts the stand?

Simplest solution by far is just to take the stand off. Call it a weight saving modification. But I get why you'd want it, is nice for servicing.
sebwiers is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-04-2019, 12:09 AM   #6
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:28 AM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

I had on old CB whose center stand hit an aftermarket exhaust. I just took the stand off. When I wanted to use the stand to work on the bike I'd just slip the stand/pin back on the bike for the job. Personally, never needed it away fro m home, so just did the removable thing to make life easy.
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived shinyribs!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-04-2019, 06:09 PM   #7
sebwiers
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdxǝ

CF Pimp
sebwiers's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:28 AM
Flip Offs: 21
Flipped Off 36 Times in 19 Posts
sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

I do use mine away from home, but we all know I'm some kinda weirdo.
sebwiers is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived sebwiers!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-04-2019, 11:58 PM   #8
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebwiers View Post
I do use mine away from home, but we all know I'm some kinda weirdo.
Yeah, but the good kinda weirdo
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-11-2019, 07:04 PM   #9
Ride
Noobie
Ride is a NOOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyribs View Post
I had on old CB whose center stand hit an aftermarket exhaust. I just took the stand off. When I wanted to use the stand to work on the bike I'd just slip the stand/pin back on the bike for the job. Personally, never needed it away fro m home, so just did the removable thing to make life easy.

Looks like thatís where itís at. With the slightly longer cbr600rr shock on the Bandit 600 it doesnít quite lift the rear tire properly anyway. Thanks all.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-12-2019, 11:15 AM   #10
tldave
CF Addict
tldave's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 5
Flipped Off 71 Times in 42 Posts
tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

dude throw that shit in the trash. just pointless additional weight.
tldave is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Brakes and Suspension