cheap electric 3/8 ratchet

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  XxGRYMMxX 
#1 ·
anyone have one and use one?
I see them for about $40 shpd on ebay.
thougth about buying one.
none have real brand names.

#2 ·
I've never used a powered ratchet that I liked, air or electric. Not enough power to really do much, too bulky to fit into the places they'd otherwise be good for (limited access where a normal ratchet is cumbersome to crank on). Useless tools, IMO.

#3 ·
I used to use an air ratchet a lot back in my car days. We were always pulling manifolds or bellhousings that had a lot of bolts in weird places. But in general, I agree with Mac. They are clumsy and I haven't used mine in years.

If you can use a pneumatic one you can have mine for the cost of shipping. I think it was a Husky brand. Nothing fancy, but it never acted up.

#5 ·
I picked up an electric 3/8 ratchet when the snap on truck had 'em on sale since i already had the batteries that would work with it. I am a motorcycle mechanic and use it aaaaalllllllllllllllll the time at work. With a set of short ball-end allen sockets and a set of u-joint sockets it's great in tight or odd places. A set of short allen sockets (without the ball-end) go great with it as well. Short hex sockets too.... You get the picture. You should get a mini grease gun to lube up the head of the thing if you're gonna be using it daily. I use mine a ton and if you can get one on the cheap you'll likely find it's more useful than you would initially expect.

#6 ·
ended up buying a Chinese $30 one on ebay for now. wish dewalt made one. I have all dewalt tools.
I use the 20v dewalt pocket impact on everything. but its cumbersome.
at one point in the mechanic journey I started using them. now I cringe when guys use a ratchet to build something. it ....takes...forever....

#7 ·
Dude, you'd hate to see me on my daily work. Only power tool I have with me is a 1/4" Bostitch impact. Been more focused on having all the right and necessary tools that I haven't been putting any money into the ease of use tools. But now that I have most of what I need, power tools are next. Looking at the Milwaukee Fuel stuff. Big money, but big power, long life batteries. Quality costs

#9 ·
I can vouch for the Milwaukee stuff but it IS kinda pricey. I have both 1/4 and 3/8 electric ratchets and while neither are torque powerhouses, that's not what they're for. They move fasteners quickly and both are about the same size as air powered ratchets. I use them daily as a mechanic and so long as you keep the spare batteries charged they work great.

#10 ·
I had a Ridgid X4 1/4 drive impact (bit style) and it would do just about anything short of remove lug nuts off a golf cart. I currently have a Bostitch version, and it seems to have even more grunt. Not that I exactly need a 1/4 drive to have quite that much dugga dugga, but it's nice considering its the only impact I have at all. I'm looking forward to dropping some paychecks in the semi near future on new equipment. Prolly after I start the new Youtube videos and have the shop back in order

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.