Matty`s 1910 Oddball Special Board Track Racer Replica - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Off Topic > Open Discussion

Open Discussion Anything non-motorcycle related goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Matty`s 1910 Oddball Special Board Track Racer Replica

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-18-2020, 05:25 PM   #1
Mattson
Stressed Member
Mattson's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:46 PM
Flip Offs: 25
Flipped Off 34 Times in 22 Posts
Mattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 
Default Matty`s 1910 Oddball Special Board Track Racer Replica

This is a project that`s been lingering in the back of my head for years and years but since I don`t want to build anything I cannot use in other than restriced areas never went forward with it. That is until I recently learned that if it`s done within a certain set of rules ( <50cc, <1kw, max25km/h assisted) it is in fact totally road legal, and doesn`even require any kind of a registration as in the eyes of the law it is -despite having an internal combustion engine- still considered as a bicycle.

This is my starting point, a 24" Jupiter five speed I purchased today for a budget breaking sum of 20 Euros. It`s a bit small but that doesn`t matter much as it`ll be cut in two, stretched and modified heavily til I`m done with it. Plans for this project are to, as said, stretch the frame enough to make room for an engine and fabricate a springer style suspension up front. I probly will not make a "drop loop" frame as the engine I will be using is not big enough to warrant one. What comes to the engine I currently have two options. Either I will order one of those motorized bicycle two stroke conversion kits off ebay, take the engine apart and make it right as they`re known to be a bit shit not even bothering to deburr the canals etc, or take a look at this 50cc kids china ATV engine I happen to have kicking around that has a cracked tranny casing due to a snapped chain and see if I could either mend it or cut it in two and only use the motor part.

Totally in love with the vintage details and the patina of this thing, trying to use as much of the parts originally on the bike to preserve it. And no not going to fret over stuff like it having a non-perioid-correct derailleur transmission as this is a total tongue-in-cheek project since it will not be registered so I can do whatever the f*** I please with it.

Looking at this scene made me pause a little, vividly remembering me asking my younger 4yo son "why would I buy you any new toys as the FIRST thing you do with ALL of them is take them apart?!" Made me go ummm... ;D Well to my defense I DO get most of them back together too AND pay for them myself!

Popping into the hardware store tomorrow for some 2x4:s and fittings to make a crude frame jig.

Oh and sorry for any missing A:s, for some reason the button in question seems to not always work on my garage laptop.

Yamaha XJR 1300 `99
Ex:Bashan BS200-S7 '07 Street Quad
Ex: Benelli Tornado 900 '06
Ex:Triumph Daytona 955i DSSA '02
Ex:Honda CBR 600 F2 '91
Mattson is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-18-2020, 05:59 PM   #2
yantosh
yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:46 PM
Flip Offs: 14
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Matty`s 1910 Oddball Special Board Track Racer Replica

this will be one to watch
yantosh is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived yantosh!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-18-2020, 06:25 PM   #3
Rwgoldsmth
Fighterer
Rwgoldsmth's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:46 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rwgoldsmth has a reputation beyond reputeRwgoldsmth has a reputation beyond reputeRwgoldsmth has a reputation beyond reputeRwgoldsmth has a reputation beyond reputeRwgoldsmth has a reputation beyond reputeRwgoldsmth has a reputation beyond reputeRwgoldsmth has a reputation beyond reputeRwgoldsmth has a reputation beyond reputeRwgoldsmth has a reputation beyond reputeRwgoldsmth has a reputation beyond reputeRwgoldsmth has a reputation beyond repute

Fuck yeah I’m looking forward to what you come up with

Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Terry Pratchett

gl1200 leaning sidehack build
http://www.customfighters.com/forums...98#post1971498
01 fz1
13 nc700x
Assorted other Shitboxes
Rwgoldsmth is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Rwgoldsmth!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-19-2020, 01:05 AM   #4
Casper
The friendly Ghost.
Casper's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:46 AM
Flip Offs: 190
Flipped Off 34 Times in 28 Posts
Casper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

Sweet!

2011 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2006 Suzuki SV650N, 1994 Yamaha XJ600S and 1979 Suzuki GS750LN
Can't leave them alone...

Time to find a nice VStrom 1000 to round me up to 5...
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Casper!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-19-2020, 05:07 PM   #5
Mattson
Stressed Member
Mattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

Built a frame jig today, had to sink the bolts so they`ll fit flush with the lift table surface. Probly going to swap the prop post you`ll see on the next pic to the far side so it won`t be as much in the way.

Decided to arse around with the tube bender for a while and made a quick mock-up handlebar, came out good enough I might actually keep it. One side is about two degrees off but that can be easily fixed. Also made the lower part of the springer suspension already, a perioid correct part would have been a 180 degree U-bend but that was about as far as I could get with my bender without kinking the tube too much so that`ll have to do. Welded together now, gonna grind the bead down tomorrow.

When taking the front end apart found this. It`s loominum so need to source somewhere for a new used part or age a new new one.

On the list tomorrow is to make the swing arm parts of the springer suspension, after that might be a bit quiet for some time as I need to order some shoulder/stripper bolts, a hand reamer to get the holes right and find 25mm/1" tubing somewhere as my local hardware store seems to have run dry and are unwilling to order more til further needs emerge.

Yamaha XJR 1300 `99
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-20-2020, 06:02 PM   #6
Mattson
Stressed Member
Fighter of the Month 

Well today started with a bang, a rather loud one I might add. Was starting to make the new straight front arms, got the end of the tube nice and red then went to town getting it squished flat, didnt quite go according to plan...

...so a trip to the city was in order. Lost half a day of precious garage time but hey at least I now got the upgrade I`ve been planning for a few years now.

Decided to revise my game plan and instead of just flattening the tube end I welded on rather hefty pieces of flat stock to have a solid surface. Seams need to be ground down and most likely refilled but that`ll have to wait for a while.

I also made the lower arms of the springer suspension today out of stainless stock. Threw the thing together with regular bolts and the curved lowers to have an idea of the travel length and possible clearance issues and actually managed to find a few, going to modify the parts accordingly once time permits.

Yamaha XJR 1300 `99
This user High Fived Mattson!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-24-2020, 06:19 AM   #7
rex_saugerty
V four honda whore
rex_saugerty's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 40 Times in 39 Posts
rex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

thats a nice vice you have there

1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0
rex_saugerty is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-24-2020, 02:23 PM   #8
Mattson
Stressed Member
Fighter of the Month 

We all have our vices, some big some small, that`s what makes us human after all

Been looking at this junker lying at the corner of a parking lot downtown for a good while til today I suddenly thought I wonder if that handlebar holder thingy would fit into the boardtracker...

Took a fair bit of cussing banging and a long tube to break it loose but off it came eventually.

Wehey, freebies! Of course needs a bit of paint removing and weathering but she`ll be right.

Didn`t have nothing better to do last night so started doodling on a piece of cardboard while watching stupid youtube videos and sipping beer...

Just a proof of concept at this point really, gonna refine the shape and desing a bit when I do the finished part off 5mm steel.

Wasn`t expecting these to arrive quite just yet but here they are, 24h from ordering. Would have preferred barrel springs but these were the only 5" longs I could find. They`re Highway Hawk brand custom motorcycle solo seat springs in case someone was wondering, they didn`t provide any specs like spring rates or even the coil thickness, only the length but I figured since hog riders tend to be big boys these should be good and based on what I`ve seen so far these should work quite well.

Yamaha XJR 1300 `99
This user High Fived Mattson!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-26-2020, 11:17 AM   #9
Mattson
Stressed Member
Fighter of the Month 

Got into a proper flow mode in the garage today, happens super duper rarely. Means I get at least double as much done but always forget to take pictures along the way.

Anyway, this happened:

Still a lot to be done, holes to be reamed, regular bolts swapped for shoulder ones, welds to be ground, stuff to be polished etc but dang it, IT WORKS! If something the springs are a wee bit on the stiff side but since the finished product will be packing 20-30kg of engine on top of my weight even those should be spot on! There WAS supposed to be domed nuts on top of the poles to ensure a non-destructive way of disassembly but after failing miserably to make threads on top of them I just cut them and threw the thing together thinking I'll weld something onto the ends after the final assembly but seeing how things fall I don't think I need to if I don't want to.

Yamaha XJR 1300 `99
These people High Fived Mattson!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-26-2020, 11:38 AM   #10
yantosh
yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:46 PM
Flip Offs: 14
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

this is great, no fancy cnc, no bottomless pit of cash, just a man in a shed
yantosh is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived yantosh!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Off Topic > Open Discussion