Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

2000 SV650 build

12K views 39 replies 13 participants last post by  sympul 
#1 ·
Decided to start my build thread. I got this 2000 sv650 for a really good deal from an old friend. I had to get it up and running again with a new starter solenoid, battery, clutch springs, brakes, and headlight. One side of the vortex rearsets were totally demolished, and I found it extremely difficult to find replacement vortex's, and I didn't really want stock, so I ended up getting some aftermarket ones off of ebay for a pretty good deal. Anyway, here is what it looked like when I got it:

fog light headlights

Here is what it looks like currently

[/url]

Built some headlights outta these infinity j30 projectors:

Rear rotor was deeply gouged and the pads were almost completely through the metal.

New rotor and pads

new rearsets

ebay levers

This bent up slider was hard to get out. Wouldn't turn so I tried to cut it off, but I eventually just heated it up and bent it some until I could get it to spin out.

Motosliders

Installed an rfid ignition, there's my credit card key. I hate having crap in my pockets, so I love the card.

The tail paint really sucks and the plastic is pretty cracked in one spot, so my plan is to put an R1 tail that I got for 40$ on it. Later down the road though.

[

Plan on adding this yoshi pipe I got for 60 on craigs thats a brand new can and packing, but the end piece is scratched up. I want to fill the scratches and paint it black. Oh and shorten the can. There isn't a can on it right now and it's just too loud for me.

Is there supposed to be rtv silicone on this?

I would like to get some gsxr forks for it as well when I get the cash and paint it soon, but that's it for now. Will update as I go along.

See less See more
#7 ·
i love sv650's bang for the buck bike right there! Oh i will have one soon

#10 ·
Thanks for the link,

I am getting an 05 or 06, on ebay, its going for 40 total including shipping hopefully it stays that way.

Here is a good write up on making room for it for the battery box.

http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=46840

Looks like you can use a gsxr or busa shock as well.

Edit: After looking at your sweet ass tail set up you may not have to worry about the battery box. What are you doing for a battery and where are you putting it?

#11 ·
LOL the battery will be going into the rear subframe somewhere. It wont sit sideways like the SV subbie I have to turn it longways as the ducati subbie is very narrow. Battery, regulator and ecu to fit in the space somehow. Thinking of an aluminium battery box with a regulator bracket on the side and the ecu farther back in the tail or a fibreglass box made.

#13 ·
What did you set your shock at ? I have fitted an 05-06 shock too and put it to standard settings but haven't rode the bike yet. I got settings off the internet. Although they may not suit everyone.

Standard settings 05-06 ZX6R 636
Preload; 2 treads showing.
Rebound Dampening; 14 clicks out (counter-clockwise) from full stiff.
Compression Dampening; .75 turns out (counter-clockwise) from full stiff.

Track settings 05-06 ZX6R 636
Preload - 15mm thread showing from top of threads to top of spring
Rebound - 11 clicks out from full stiff
Compression - .5 turns out from full stiff

#15 ·
Hi all. I just wanted to update my thread. I still have this bike and I recently graduated and got a new job, so I will be slowly making the bike what I have dreamed about for a long time.

Things I've done to it since my last update:

• Replaced broken tab radiator with new one and silicone tubing
  • Stainless steel brake lines
  • Pro taper bars
  • HID
  • Recovered seats
  • Adjusted valves
  • Converted manual cam chain tensioners to stock automatic

Things I need to do to it:

• Fork swap
  • Paint
  • New gauge
  • LED headlight
  • Recover seats again (crappy material is not holding up in the sun)
  • Powdercoat frame and bits
  • Build new undertail tray and battery box

Here are some updated pictures. I am currently working on prepping some better tail plastics for paint and saving up more money for the fork swap. I do have the forks and brakes off of a newer gsxr, but I need a wheel and rotors.

#17 ·
Got the spacers and nuts welded to my bracket.

Here it is mounted with the ignition switch. The bolts can only be accessed by lifting the tank. The bad news is that the waterproof electrical connectors I was going to use are poorly made and don't fit together well. After testing the switch it seems that some of the wires aren't making a connection. I will probably just solder in the stock connections because they were working before.

#25 ·
No more Slayer sticker haha.

I rebuilt my rear caliper.

Cleaned up the new front calipers. I later found that I mis-measured for my wheel spacers and the caliper is just barely rubbing the disc, so I have to have them remade.

Rolled it out into the sunlight.

Threw the tank on to see what it looks like.

I recently got a welder and am now practicing my booger welds. Adding gas to the welder and getting rid of the flux core helped a ton.

Then I made a steering stop.

I need to build a headlight mount next and route the brake lines.

#27 ·
Building the brake line routers and painting a couple things.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.