Shiny's adventure with dirtbikes - Page 56 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Dirty Tards & Minis

Dirty Tards & Minis Everything about dirtbikes, motards and minis goes in here!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Shiny's adventure with dirtbikes

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-21-2019, 10:39 PM   #551
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:09 PM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Shiny's adventure with dirtbikes

So my XR400 has a 36mm round slide carb, no Accel pump, that's famous for off idle bogs.

My XL500 has a 32mm round slide pumper known for holding the engine back if you cam it up and try to wind some hp out of it.

Standard procedure for fixing the bog on the XR4 is a $400 Mikuni 36mm pumper carb, that I'd like to own, but don't want to pay for

Quick and dirty fit up of my XL 32mm pumper on my XR had the bike absolutely RIPPING today. Was a very short test ( air box boot wasn't sealed at all) but the bike would instantly stand up at any time in first and second. Rowing through 1-2-3 at wot proved impossible to keep the front on the dirt.

Hmm....are pumpers magic, or is the 36mm too big for the 400?
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived shinyribs!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-22-2019, 02:58 PM   #552
Larry02ACR
Fighterer
Larry02ACR's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:09 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyribs View Post
Hmm....are pumpers magic, or is the 36mm too big for the 400?
Pumpers are magic. The accelerator pump pretty much exists to cure the bog when you wack the throttle open on a 4 stroke and there isn't enough vacuum/velocity to get fuel into the motor.

36mm seems about right. My KX came with a 38mm Keihin. No accel pump though, because 2 strokes are magic.
Larry02ACR is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Larry02ACR!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-23-2019, 12:19 AM   #553
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry02ACR View Post
Pumpers are magic. The accelerator pump pretty much exists to cure the bog when you wack the throttle open on a 4 stroke and there isn't enough vacuum/velocity to get fuel into the motor.

36mm seems about right. My KX came with a 38mm Keihin. No accel pump though, because 2 strokes are magic.
Well, CRF250's are using a 50mm throttle body, but they turn some serious rpms. And your KX can wind up pretty tight, too. MY CDI rev limits at like 9600, but I swear you'd have to float the shit out of the valves to get there

I dont know if any of my 2 strokes had pumpers or not.
This user High Fived shinyribs!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-23-2019, 09:42 AM   #554
Larry02ACR
Fighterer
Larry02ACR's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:09 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Well, CRF250's are using a 50mm throttle body, but they turn some serious rpms. And your KX can wind up pretty tight, too. MY CDI rev limits at like 9600, but I swear you'd have to float the shit out of the valves to get there

I don't know of any 2 strokes that have an accelerator pump. Mine has an extra "power" jet that is controlled by the CDI. Supposed to fill in the fueling in certain situations, but I haven't been that interested to find out the specifics.

That and the TPS are the main reasons I haven't tried a Lectron. Although I think you can get them with a TPS now.

You could probably get an early 2000's year CRF250R carb off eBay. The pump or "leak jet" is adjustable on them.
Larry02ACR is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-23-2019, 11:49 AM   #555
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Addict
Junkie's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:09 PM
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Junkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to behold
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:

yeah, modern 4 strokes scream

my 450XCF revs well past 11k

even my FS570 revs to 9500rpm, and that's a big bore, long stroke engine

A steering damper dampens steering oscillations. If it starts to leak, it may become a steering dampener. There's no such thing as a dampner.

Bikes: naked SV1000 with all the possible bling, FE570, FS570, 450XCF SM trackbike
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-23-2019, 11:49 AM   #556
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Addict
Junkie's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:09 PM
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Junkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to behold
Fighter of the Month 

and yes, accelerator pumps are magic too

A steering damper dampens steering oscillations. If it starts to leak, it may become a steering dampener. There's no such thing as a dampner.

Bikes: naked SV1000 with all the possible bling, FE570, FS570, 450XCF SM trackbike
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-29-2019, 11:15 PM   #557
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Yes, the accel pump was great. I took the pumper carb off the XR and put it back where it belongs....man, it sucks without it now!

A buddy came down to go riding today and his son came along. Always a good feeling seeing the next generation getting started
Attached Images

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-01-2019, 12:48 AM   #558
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

I love ebay. Guys asking stupid vintage prices for junk, but send them a message with a low ball and they almost always accept it. Found a XL500S carb mislabeled as XR500 carb, nabbed it for 40 bucks. Did some googling and discovered early 250L's ( street version) came with pumper carbs, so found one of those for the XR250 for 45 bucks.

Seems Honda used pumpers on the street going bike in order to lean the jetting out and meet emissions. Reckon they just cheaped out on the dirt bikes.
Attached Images

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-21-2019, 12:51 AM   #559
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Y'all remember this grungy old thing?

A while back I picked this up to be my Dad's bike. I plopped some clean plastics on it and it ran fine. The 250 feels pretty gutless compared to...well, most things, but it's been a good bike.

But the original seals from 1990 are a bit past their prime and I couldn't stand it looking like this any longer. Also, the shift shaft seal was leaking pretty bad, so they pretty much dictated splitting the cases to replace the welded together shift shaft/shifter.

So I ordered a gasket kit, fired up the powdercoating oven and got busy.

Squirted on some fresh frame paint. It's appliance paint which is epoxy, and it seems like very good stuff to be spray bomb. Very hard coating unlike the gummy stuff that usually comes out of spray cans.

Found a questionable bearing in the transmission and had to order that from Honda. Got it in last week and have been slowly putting the engine back together. Just got it to this point earlier this evening. It was raining the day I wanted to paint the frame, so had the whole fam out in the yard for a photo op. Hello, ladies

Completely rebuilt the suspension a while back, but want to rebuild the brake system once I get all this back together. Need to put a good polish on the tank and order some decals. She she should be good as new!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-02-2019, 03:43 AM   #560
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

In my normal fashion, things are taking way longer than they should. Too many other projects/life going on, but I hope to make some progress this weekend. Tonight I cleaned up the header bits and got it powdercoated. It's still in the oven. I'm skeptical that this coating will hold up to the heat right at the exhaust ports, but it's supposed to. We'll see. Also cleaned up and hung a few bits of plastic while the oven was running. Earlier in the week I finished the engine,scrubbed the wiring harness and all the external oil lines/cooler and got all that installed.

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Dirty Tards & Minis