Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

XS650 in the works

2K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  929_adam 
#1 ·
Well, when I say 'in the works' what I really mean is 'just joined the line of bikes that will, at some point in the future, be in the works'...
It's nothing like approaching a complete bike, and hasn't been for some time,
currently just a frame and engine that, so I'm told, was once upon a time a '79 (ish) XS650 Special.
The plan (such as it is) is to chop it, I have a pair of GSX-R1000 K4 forks that may be used, and a funky old Honda trials bike fuel tank. It may get hardtailed, or it may retain the swinger in an FLH, laid-down short shorts kind of way...
Don't hold your breath.

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
No work done but a lot of thinking... Going to try and find a drum front hub to match the rear, preferably a conical twin-leading shoe Triumph or BSA one, as that'd look really cool with the GSX-R USD forks. But they seem to fetch premium prices, and the wallet is focussed on the turbo Zed and the SV650 race bike projects right now...

#10 ·
After looking into the paperwork side of things, I think I'll need to mock it up into a stand-looking bike in order to be able to get a registration document. When I say 'standard-looking', it'll not have to look like the original XS, but like a 'normal' bike - ie rear suspension, mudguards etc. I can then get around to cutting it around properly after that.
The advantage of getting a registration that ties in with the age of the original frame and engine is that it'll not have to have fripperies such as indicators, and once it is 40 years old, there's no requirement for the yearly roadworthiness test (MoT) or road tax...

#11 ·
The paperwork side of things looks like it could be a bit easier than I thought. Regulations here in the UK dictate that bikes of over 40 years of age have a somewhat easier time, in that they don't have to have the yearly MoT examination, and don't have to pay road tax either. In addition, it also means I can apply for an age-dependant number plate without it having to be presented as a complete bike!

#15 ·
I have a similiar situation. Picked up an 01 Suzuki GZ250 without a title. Had to get it going and passable in stock configuration before I can start modifying. Not too difficult but once I have it registered and the title I will never have to get inspections done again.

Reactions: MDM
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.