Frame and arm jig build - Page 4 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Heavy Metal

Heavy Metal Anything to do with welding, bending and fabricating things from metal goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Frame and arm jig build

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-22-2018, 12:49 AM   #31
mcantar
Fuck it, let's do it live

CF Pimp
mcantar's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:34 AM
Flip Offs: 46
Flipped Off 22 Times in 21 Posts
mcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Frame and arm jig build

Double check the bolt holes.
I used to run a big plasma table, making bolt-ready holes was the "grail" thing that Hypertherm and whoever else were advertising that their newest shiniest stuff could mostly do. The beveled kerf that the plasma jet makes can cause some issues with fitment and longevity.
Not a huge deal, worst case scenario you just clean up the holes with a drill, but figured it might be worth mentioning so you don't get caught off guard.

Hypermotard 1100S the weight-shavening.
Bandit 1200 cafe/fighter that will never get finished at this rate.
Turbo Busa v2 2017 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa V1.2 2016 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa v1.1
919 Hornet build'n'flip, lotsa electrical diagnostic info in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopie View Post
Everything should be turbo'd, and what the fuck is a budget?
mcantar is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-22-2018, 11:16 AM   #32
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW
SEBSPEED's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:34 AM
Flip Offs: 53
Flipped Off 57 Times in 47 Posts
SEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantar View Post
Double check the bolt holes.
I used to run a big plasma table, making bolt-ready holes was the "grail" thing that Hypertherm and whoever else were advertising that their newest shiniest stuff could mostly do. The beveled kerf that the plasma jet makes can cause some issues with fitment and longevity.
Not a huge deal, worst case scenario you just clean up the holes with a drill, but figured it might be worth mentioning so you don't get caught off guard.
I knew going in that the periphery and holes would be shitty - I'm not a fan of plasma cutting. That said, it was cheaper and faster than my usual waterjet source and for the application, it was good enough. All the holes and slots accept the bolts, thankfully. I wasn't looking forward to buying a tapered reamer to clean them up because I definitely wasn't going to use my good drills on the shitty hardened edges.

I'm going to deburr the parts and dress the edges a little, then blast and paint.

Find me on Facebook at Sebspeed Customs

Float like a Goldwing, sting like a gixxer

2015 FOTY VFR750

2016 threads
Turbo 7/11

750 Slingshot
Discussion thread

2017 thread
VFR800 Build
SEBSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived SEBSPEED!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-23-2018, 05:06 PM   #33
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW
SEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

De-slagged the plasma parts and cleaned the edges up on the sander. Deburred them and ran them through the glass bead cabinet to get most of the rust and scale off. Shot them with etch primer and satin black. No pics, too busy.

2015 FOTY VFR750

2016 threads
Turbo 7/11

750 Slingshot
Discussion thread

2017 thread
VFR800 Build
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-24-2018, 08:46 PM   #34
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW

Picked up a bunch of hardware and some paint today, got a test fit of the bracket for the sliding rear post, put on some stickers but messed one up

That one will be welded around the "T", upper bolts just there to hold alignment for welding, will sit more like this

2015 FOTY VFR750

2016 threads
Turbo 7/11

750 Slingshot
Discussion thread

2017 thread
VFR800 Build
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-27-2018, 09:10 PM   #35
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW

Like so

With the paint ground off I got to welding

And painted

Was running out of daylight so we skip to after I welded the other bigger pieces together, more paint

Also removed the trunnions so I can clean them up and pack with fresh grease. This fixture sat outside in the weather for a while and they're a little gummed up. I happen to have some clean leftover sae hardware that fits, so can replace all the rusty bolts. Got the larger truss section mostly prepped for paint too.

Not enough red left for the base... thinkin maybe silver

2015 FOTY VFR750

2016 threads
Turbo 7/11

750 Slingshot
Discussion thread

2017 thread
VFR800 Build
These people High Fived SEBSPEED!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-30-2018, 12:43 PM   #36
Zweihammer
Misfit

Fighterer
Zweihammer's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:34 AM
Flip Offs: 1
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Damn nice. I have a long time friend who builds old skool choppers, once he started making frames, demand for them took all his time, had to start turning them down to make time for anything else.
Fancy trunnions and stout frame, was this for rolling or storing material in a former life? I looked at a frame a friend offered me that used to be used in a carpet warehouse for a possible car rotisserie, it was too big to get back to my shop without hiring a rollback. Passed on it and still regretting it.

2019 Winter Build Off Bike

2019 Winter Build Off Chit Chat

Bones heal, chicks dig scars, pain is temporary, glory is forever. E. Knievel
Zweihammer is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-30-2018, 09:07 PM   #37
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweihammer View Post
Damn nice. I have a long time friend who builds old skool choppers, once he started making frames, demand for them took all his time, had to start turning them down to make time for anything else.
Fancy trunnions and stout frame, was this for rolling or storing material in a former life? I looked at a frame a friend offered me that used to be used in a carpet warehouse for a possible car rotisserie, it was too big to get back to my shop without hiring a rollback. Passed on it and still regretting it.
Thanks. I'm really looking forward to playing with it. It was a decommissioned assembly fixture, it supported a separate aluminum assembly fixture/drill jig. Got lucky with getting it but still paying the price for moving it by myself.

2015 FOTY VFR750

2016 threads
Turbo 7/11

750 Slingshot
Discussion thread

2017 thread
VFR800 Build

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Heavy Metal