Looking for some turbo help - Page 2 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Making Power

Making Power Anything to do with fabricating and modifying engines, carbs, ignition, etc. goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Looking for some turbo help

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-14-2018, 06:42 PM   #11
Natan
Fighterer
Natan's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:34 PM
Flip Offs: 1
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Natan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant future
Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner 
Default Re: Looking for some turbo help

Thanks for the input. So do you think a GT28RS would suit better? I know that's a popular one with the VW 1.8T crowd.
I also see that people recommend not plugging the coolant ports on the turbo, but do you reckon I'd get away with it for such a low-boost application? Maybe run an oil cooler on the oil feed to the turbo to help keep the temps down?

2018 Winter Buildoff - CBR600F - Build - Discussion
Natan is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-14-2018, 06:53 PM   #12
mcantar
Fuck it, let's do it live

CF Pimp
mcantar's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:34 AM
Flip Offs: 44
Flipped Off 21 Times in 20 Posts
mcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatFighter View Post
oil return lines are always a complicated question as some will swear by a check valve, others swear by a scavenge pump, and others will say gravity draining is fine too.
They really aren't though. If the centerline of the turbo is above the oil level, and it isn't too far away (i.e. rear-mount), you can gravity drain.

Look at a side shot of my Busa and of Seb's 7/11 for a visual of this... not saying one is better than the other by any means, but his will very likely need a scavenge pump to properly evacuate oil from the CHRA and if you look at the respective mounting positions you'll see what I mean.

A check valve is unnecessary if your feed line has adequate pressure and your drain is properly sized with minimal restrictions. You'll want -10AN size there.

Hypermotard 1100S the weight-shavening.
Bandit 1200 cafe/fighter that will never get finished at this rate.
Turbo Busa v2 2017 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa V1.2 2016 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa v1.1
919 Hornet build'n'flip, lotsa electrical diagnostic info in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopie View Post
Everything should be turbo'd, and what the fuck is a budget?
mcantar is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived mcantar!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-14-2018, 07:05 PM   #13
mcantar
Fuck it, let's do it live

CF Pimp
mcantar's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:34 AM
Flip Offs: 44
Flipped Off 21 Times in 20 Posts
mcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natan View Post
Thanks for the input. So do you think a GT28RS would suit better? I know that's a popular one with the VW 1.8T crowd.
I also see that people recommend not plugging the coolant ports on the turbo, but do you reckon I'd get away with it for such a low-boost application? Maybe run an oil cooler on the oil feed to the turbo to help keep the temps down?
That's still a bit on the small end but you'd be way better off than you would be with the 12. Be careful of markups... if it's "THE" turbo that everybody in that niche of the market just has to have, chances are it'll be marked up in price.

As for the coolant ports, I dont see an issue with plugging them but I've never had to do it. The only thing I can think of is maybe when you plug it and create an air cavity, it pressurizes as it heats up and blows out a seal or something? Dunno, on applications that don't use a coolant line I use CHRA's that don't have coolant ports in the first place.

A cooler shouldn't be necessary. At least in Busa world, nobody really runs em with the turbos. I've personally never seen or heard of any issues come of it.

Hypermotard 1100S the weight-shavening.
Bandit 1200 cafe/fighter that will never get finished at this rate.
Turbo Busa v2 2017 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa V1.2 2016 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa v1.1
919 Hornet build'n'flip, lotsa electrical diagnostic info in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopie View Post
Everything should be turbo'd, and what the fuck is a budget?
mcantar is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-15-2018, 02:42 AM   #14
yantosh

yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 13
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

i'd just ignore the cooling ports.... or to be more accurate, I did ignore the cooling ports
yantosh is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-15-2018, 02:45 AM   #15
yantosh

yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

https://www.customfighters.com/forum...t=48271&page=4

may. or may not be of any use, not looked through the thread in ages
This user High Fived yantosh!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-15-2018, 04:00 AM   #16
Natan
Fighterer
Natan's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 1
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Natan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant future
Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh View Post
https://www.customfighters.com/forum...t=48271&page=4

may. or may not be of any use, not looked through the thread in ages
Thanks, that was a good read!

Would a rear mount turbo be feasible? That's what I was planning, but I realised it'd be a bit of a distance for oil lines and stuff. I thought I could maybe have the turbo mounted where the headers already meet as one, but after reading that thread earlier it says the headers should be pretty small diameter?

2018 Winter Buildoff - CBR600F - Build - Discussion
Natan is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-15-2018, 04:58 AM   #17
yantosh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lthNaNJ-Uw

full you tube series, cbr with rear mounted turbo

HOONDA
This user High Fived yantosh!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-15-2018, 01:12 PM   #18
RatFighter
UnicycleMode

RatFighter's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:34 AM
Flip Offs: 190
Flipped Off 111 Times in 48 Posts
RatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantar View Post
They really aren't though. If the centerline of the turbo is above the oil level, and it isn't too far away (i.e. rear-mount), you can gravity drain.

Look at a side shot of my Busa and of Seb's 7/11 for a visual of this... not saying one is better than the other by any means, but his will very likely need a scavenge pump to properly evacuate oil from the CHRA and if you look at the respective mounting positions you'll see what I mean.

A check valve is unnecessary if your feed line has adequate pressure and your drain is properly sized with minimal restrictions. You'll want -10AN size there.

I meant getting an answer on what works best is a run around job. I've seen it done every way possible, even with the turbo above oil level, on just Bandit's. Far as I've seen, keeping the turbo above oil level is pretty easy to do if you plan out the packaging with it in mind that you want to stay as minimal as possible with plumbing and moving parts.

As for coolant passages, my Bandit's turbo has 'em plugged, same with the little IHI RHB31 my brother is running on his 250. Again with the complication of getting a strait answer. I used to think turbo guys were some dickhead gate keepers of top secret information... turns out it's just that there are so many answers to so many applications that by the end of a build, there will inevitably be variance and difference from someone else doing damn near the same exact thing.

That book from Amazon will guide even the least knowledgeable person to an understanding of compressor maps. There is thousands of turbo's out there, so selecting the right one is pretty easy once you know what your looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweihammer View Post
Looking at this Large Hadron Collider of a vehicle, I am starting to think the little bastard may have been on to something...
RatFighter is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived RatFighter!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-11-2019, 10:11 AM   #19
MDM
Procrastinator

CF Lover
Local Time: 11:34 AM
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 2 Times in 2 Posts
MDM has much to be proud ofMDM has much to be proud ofMDM has much to be proud ofMDM has much to be proud ofMDM has much to be proud ofMDM has much to be proud ofMDM has much to be proud ofMDM has much to be proud ofMDM has much to be proud ofMDM has much to be proud ofMDM has much to be proud of

As others have said, Joe Haile's book is the go-to, and none of it is witchcraft or voodoo.
I'd say that a GT28 is slightly over-sized (600cc CBR right, not a Blade?) as it's a superb size for road-going Busa or Gixer Thous with relatively low boost and peak power aims, but you'll be better off being over-sized than under-sized!
Get stuck in and do it - it'll be a big learning curve, but there are a LOT of folk who can help you out on your way ;-)
MDM is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived MDM!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Making Power