Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Yamaha tzr50 engine swap

7K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  rex_saugerty 
#1 ·
Hi, I am planning on stuffing a tzr50 with a bigger engine that fits the frame but is also not too bulky in order to be inconspicuous enough.
I am doing this because swapping the engine of a sportmoped, as the dutch wiki calls it, is cheaper than buying a motorcycle driving license because a regular cars driving license is financially hefty enough.
You get the moped driving license for free if you get your cars license in the Netherlands.

Maybe the tzr 250 engine is the best sounding&performing and fitting choice for this situation, maybe not: What do the pros on this website know?
My problem lies in the fact that I am not sure whether the tzr250 engine will fit.
The dutch wiki page of the tzr50 says the frames are the same,I need someone experienced enough to confirm that.
I do also want to ask if with swapping the entire engine(along with the exhaust,brakes and carbs) I need to swap maybe the tires,chain,clutch and/or clutch cable,brake cable.

I do know to immidiately replace the spark plugs, fuel&oil filter, the fluids itself and check for too much rust/wear on components, read that in the beginner forum an hour ago.

I also don't know if I have to bring the tzr250 ecu along to the tzr 50 frame, or 'just' remap it.

Have I left something out?

See less See more
#2 ·
you are looking for this kind of info in the wrong forum.
what we can tell you. you can try and do it. we always welcome weird builds.

as for my concerns.
50cc are suppoused to go up to 45kph(if counted as moped, A1 is a different story)
i may be mistaken, but arent 250 a twin?
ECU would need to be changed, as i dont believe stock is remappable. also power would be a bit too much if you run skinny tires, that is usually the case of 50cc bikes

#3 ·
Obviously all of us here have broken most of the local laws regarding modifying your bike.

But what you're proposing sounds silly to me.

You'll be riding a bike which is licensed to go up to 45kmh, Which is 28mph for our imperial friends. When the cops stop you doing 160kmh (100mph) which your bike will very easily do as a 250, how are you going to convince them it's legal? If you can't, it'll cost you your car driving license, your bike, and a day in court. If you ever have a crash on it, then your insurance won't pay. If you kill or injure yourself or someone else, you will never finish paying for that.

Get your license, and build or get the bike you really want.

If you're intent on breaking the law then get the 50 and fit an 80cc kit. But even that is stupid as it'll then go near 100kmh, and cops aren't half as stupid as you apparently think.

#4 ·
Hi, I am planning on stuffing a tzr50 with a bigger engine that fits the frame but is also not too bulky in order to be inconspicuous enough.
Two expansion chambers on a 50cc bike is pretty much a dead give away.

You could do a custom 2 into 1 pipe, but the original 50cc engine would probably be faster.

Your idea is not good, because will be an obvious fake. It would be much easier just to chop the 50cc VIN and bodywork onto the 250cc bike. Still not going to fool anyone knowledgable. Like cops.

No fun having a hooligan lawbreaker bike, and can't ride it. Don't ask me about the dusty NS400R sitting in my garage.

#8 ·
Depends on state laws and how to interpret them as far as getting a JDM stroker legal in the USA.
I think they are saying that the TZR125/250 appear similar, but they are not the same frame in any way. You might get a TZR125 into a 50 frame, and it would still be a single cylinder. If you keep the bodywork on it, no one would see the bigger engine, although the pipe would be at least twice the size. I'm guessing the front of a 125 would be a direct bolt in to a 50, not sure about the rear wheel/swingarm....?

Reactions: F4nd4
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.