ZXR Forks into Mk2 B12 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Street Fighter Swaps > Fork Swaps

Fork Swaps Fork and Front End Swap Discussion goes here

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > ZXR Forks into Mk2 B12

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-01-2018, 12:52 PM   #1
remfanuk
Fighter
Local Time: 01:36 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
remfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to all
Default ZXR Forks into Mk2 B12

So i have a set of ZXR 750 J1 forks and a set of yokes and stem for the Mk2 B12...see below.
I have approached a motorcyclist who has done fork swaps etc in the past but is a car mechanic. I asked about getting the B12 stem pressed out and then pressed into the ZXR bottom yoke. Rather than make up a spacer for the thinner B12 stem, I am going to follow Yantosh's advice and cut the ZXR stem flush with the yoke, effectively making a ready made spacer and gently ream out the remaining stem to fit the B12 stem into.

The new fork length is 720mm versus stock B12 which I believe is 765mm...too short? stability issues? I have seen that some folk suggest that anything more than 25mm is going to cause geometry issues.

So the mechanic guy says that so much heat will have to be applied to the ZXR bottom yoke to fit the B12 stem in that it will cause problems...not sure what problems.
He also said that any spacer to sleeve down the top yoke for the B12 stem will just "spin" in the top yoke, presumably as it cannot be made for a tight fit on the stem?
What's the opinion of you guys? many thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180728_095825.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	2.36 MB
ID:	101956   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180728_095902.jpg
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	101958   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180728_100411.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	2.15 MB
ID:	101960  

Last edited by remfanuk; 08-01-2018 at 03:10 PM. Reason: added info
remfanuk is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-03-2018, 04:06 AM   #2
remfanuk
Fighter
remfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to all
Default Re: ZXR Forks into Mk2 B12

Stem has been pressed out of the B12 lower yoke without difficulty. I can see by the size of the ZXR lower yoke that some slight boring out of the stem hole will allow the B12 stem to be pressed in okay.
The B12 stem is a tight fit in the top yoke however so will need some work...if it is that tight can i get away without the need for any type of spacer? cheers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180802_172648.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	101984   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180802_172741.jpg
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	101986   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180802_172835.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	652.1 KB
ID:	101988   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180802_172839.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	904.5 KB
ID:	101990  
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-03-2018, 05:05 AM   #3
yantosh

yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:36 PM
Flip Offs: 14
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

think your mechanic should stick to mechanicing, sleeve would spin.... really, the stem, the bearing, the sleeve , the top nut and the yoke all turn as one, nothing is spinning

if the the top yoke is a good fit on the stem then leave as is,

as for the shorter forks, try them, it's unlikely to cause a shocking loss of stability, if you don't like it, address it
yantosh is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived yantosh!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-03-2018, 05:07 AM   #4
yantosh

yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

although , looking at your pic, you have the top yoke down on the top bearing dia, so I'd say you need a sleeve

top hat sleeve with a flange that sits under the top nut, you get stuck gimmie a shout
These people High Fived yantosh!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-03-2018, 09:09 AM   #5
remfanuk
Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh View Post
think your mechanic should stick to mechanicing, sleeve would spin.... really, the stem, the bearing, the sleeve , the top nut and the yoke all turn as one, nothing is spinning

if the the top yoke is a good fit on the stem then leave as is,

as for the shorter forks, try them, it's unlikely to cause a shocking loss of stability, if you don't like it, address it
i agree...it didnt make sense to me and i am just learning this stuff. i am more than happy that the B12 stem will fit in the bottom yoke with very minimal reduction in the stem hole. I will be sawing off the ZXR stem flush with its bottom yoke as you suggested and either get the bottom of the stem welded to spacer/yoke or tap it and put a bolt with a flanged head in there as you said was an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh View Post
although , looking at your pic, you have the top yoke down on the top bearing dia, so I'd say you need a sleeve

top hat sleeve with a flange that sits under the top nut, you get stuck gimmie a shout
when i get the stem pressed into the ZXR yoke i will give you a shout please Yan...maybe a photo of what you mean will make sense to me more. Thanks for your sage wisdom sir.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-03-2018, 09:13 AM   #6
remfanuk
Fighter

another better photo...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180802_172829.jpg
Size:	737.0 KB
ID:	101992  
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-03-2018, 10:06 AM   #7
yantosh

that large thread you can see above the yoke is to press down on the bearing, the top yoke should be a slide fit on the plain dia between the two threads
This user High Fived yantosh!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-03-2018, 10:31 AM   #8
JamesHambleton
Wanna be racer

CF Addict
JamesHambleton's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 12
Flipped Off 19 Times in 16 Posts
JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

This is what Yan means
JamesHambleton is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived JamesHambleton!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-03-2018, 10:58 AM   #9
remfanuk
Fighter

Right, so the smooth area between the two threads should be inside the yoke? looks like there is a 1mm-ish gap between the stem and the yoke that will need to be taken up by a top hat spacer as you suggested then.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180802_172829_LI.jpg
Size:	758.6 KB
ID:	101994  
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-03-2018, 11:00 AM   #10
remfanuk
Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHambleton View Post
This is what Yan means
I was busy making a crap diagram whilst you posted up your clean jobby James...thank you very much...makes it much clearer.

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Street Fighter Swaps > Fork Swaps