ZX7 forks to GSXR frame...? - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Street Fighter Swaps > Fork Swaps

Fork Swaps Fork and Front End Swap Discussion goes here

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > ZX7 forks to GSXR frame...?

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-26-2012, 02:57 AM   #1
Whiplash
Vtwin
CF Pimp
Whiplash's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:49 PM
Flip Offs: 7
Flipped Off 14 Times in 12 Posts
Whiplash spends too much time on hereWhiplash spends too much time on hereWhiplash spends too much time on hereWhiplash spends too much time on hereWhiplash spends too much time on hereWhiplash spends too much time on hereWhiplash spends too much time on hereWhiplash spends too much time on hereWhiplash spends too much time on hereWhiplash spends too much time on hereWhiplash spends too much time on here
Default ZX7 forks to GSXR frame...?

I'm in the process of mounting 1991 ZX7 forks/triple to a 2003 GSXR 750 frame, All Balls racing says they are compatible and sell the bearing kit, has anyone done this? From what I can see it looks like the stem is about a 1/4 inch to short, how do I get around that? Will the bearing allow to make the difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

Fook Around y'll get bit by a Snake :

2000 GSXR750 fighter-Built & Sold
2005 Buell XB12SCG-Current Ride
2015 Yamaha FZ-07 - Wife's bike
Whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-26-2012, 07:10 AM   #2
Streetfighterkz
Capt Oblivious
CF Pimp
Streetfighterkz's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:49 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 11 Times in 7 Posts
Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Re: ZX7 forks to GSXR frame...?

Different bearings will not gain you any length. 10"=10". You can swap the Gsxr stem into the Zx trees and use the stock Gsxr bearings like that.

I'm curious as to why you want to use the older ZX forks on the Gsxr when there are plenty of newer cheap Gsxr frontends out there?

Later, Doug

74 Kawasaki H1-500 Project
76 Kawasaki Kz900 'Strip-fighter Project
77 Kawasaki Kz1000
78 Kawasaki Kz1000 Project
'80 Cx500 Cafe/Brat Project
83 Kawasaki Gpz750 (Turbo Converted) Project
Streetfighterkz is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-26-2012, 07:19 AM   #3
Whiplash
Vtwin
CF Pimp
Whiplash spends too much time on hereWhiplash spends too much time on hereWhiplash spends too much time on hereWhiplash spends too much time on hereWhiplash spends too much time on hereWhiplash spends too much time on hereWhiplash spends too much time on hereWhiplash spends too much time on hereWhiplash spends too much time on hereWhiplash spends too much time on hereWhiplash spends too much time on here

Why the ZX stuff? Cuz I already have sittin here, just figured why buy more stuff

So does the stem thread into the lower triple? I can just thread a GSXR stem into the ZX lower?

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-26-2012, 08:38 AM   #4
Streetfighterkz
Capt Oblivious
CF Pimp
Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Stems are generally pressed into the lower triples. You'll need a 12 or 20-ton shop press to get them out properly. I know the newer Gsxr stems must be pressed out from the top only after you slightly press them in from the bottom and remove a clip.

Do you still have both the upper and lower '03 Gsxr triple trees?

Later, Doug

77 Kawasaki Kz1000
Streetfighterkz is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-26-2012, 08:43 AM   #5
Whiplash
Vtwin
CF Pimp

No I only had one set and those went on my other bike, wonder if the GSXR lower angle would match up to the ZX upper?

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-26-2012, 08:46 AM   #6
Streetfighterkz
Capt Oblivious
CF Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash View Post
wonder if the GSXR lower angle would match up to the ZX upper?
I doubt it. Spacing and offset are most likely different.

Later, Doug

77 Kawasaki Kz1000
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-26-2012, 09:49 AM   #7
Whiplash
Vtwin
CF Pimp

Damnit!! Back to the drawing board...

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-26-2012, 10:37 AM   #8
Streetfighterkz
Capt Oblivious
CF Pimp

Have you thought about selling the forks and triples and just buying the correct gsxr stuff instead of trying to mix and match?

Later, Doug

77 Kawasaki Kz1000
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-26-2012, 06:18 PM   #9
Whiplash
Vtwin
CF Pimp

Yeah it crossed my mind but then I'd have to buy a GSXR wheel too, aaand I kinda want it to be all mixed up if I can make it work, I want it to be as close to a true fighter as I can get instead of just a modified GSXR

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-26-2012, 09:07 PM   #10
Whiplash
Vtwin
CF Pimp

So my winch is selling on eBay so I'll have some bike money soon... I'm thinkin about taking your advice and scoreing a lower and maybe the upper GSXR triple and stem which will make the setup more "right", the only catch then will be to get the ZX tube into the GSXR upper, the top of the GSXR's fork tubes are tapered, about 1-2 mm smaller than the ZX tubes which aren't tapered....I measured where the lower clamps go on both bikes and there's only a couple 1000th difference so that shouldnt be and issue

Any advice on this? Or something I'm overlooking?

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Street Fighter Swaps > Fork Swaps