R1 forks onto 919 Blade - stem length - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Street Fighter Swaps > Fork Swaps

Fork Swaps Fork and Front End Swap Discussion goes here

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > R1 forks onto 919 Blade - stem length

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-11-2013, 06:14 AM   #1
cadman342001
Fighter In Training
Local Time: 10:58 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
cadman342001 is making some friendscadman342001 is making some friendscadman342001 is making some friendscadman342001 is making some friendscadman342001 is making some friends
Default R1 forks onto 919 Blade - stem length

Just got the steering stem for my 06 R1 USD forks for fitting onto my CBR900RR 919 1996.

My question is, the stem came with the ball bearing type bearings on it but the blade has tapered needle roller bearings, so do I need to remove the races out of the headstock and fit ball bearing type races ?

The issue too is that with the existing races in the stem isn't long enough, I'm thinking that if I change the races the stem and top yoke will go "in" further so make me able to fit the top nut?

I would change the bearings to new tapered roller items but think that may not help in the length of the stem department ?

I'd like to avoid having to swap the actual stems over if possible. It's weird cos I have heard many people say they go straight on or at least the early ones do but I know that the R1 stem length was unchanged from 98-06.

TIA

Andy

My build - http://www.customfighters.com/forums...37#post1206837
cadman342001 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-11-2013, 07:06 AM   #2
Reaver
Piston broke
Senior Fighterer
Reaver's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:58 AM
Flipped Off 5 Times in 5 Posts
Reaver is a glorious beacon of lightReaver is a glorious beacon of lightReaver is a glorious beacon of lightReaver is a glorious beacon of lightReaver is a glorious beacon of lightReaver is a glorious beacon of lightReaver is a glorious beacon of lightReaver is a glorious beacon of lightReaver is a glorious beacon of lightReaver is a glorious beacon of lightReaver is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: R1 forks onto 919 Blade - stem length

Have you compared the stems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0regret5 View Post
I've met many dedicated long term bikers who bought a Vmax and sold it a fortnight later cos the vboost scared the shit out of them. one, sadly, for real real, not for play play. dude actually doogied his huggies.

Zephyr stage 1 build

Zephyr stage 1 discussion
Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-13-2013, 07:55 AM   #3
cadman342001
Fighter In Training
cadman342001 is making some friendscadman342001 is making some friendscadman342001 is making some friendscadman342001 is making some friendscadman342001 is making some friends

Yeah, looks like I'll have to get the stems swapped over. The blade one is 10mm longer trhan the R1 stem. Same diameter at the bottom end but at the top end the blade is thinner so will need a spacer. It means I can use blade bearings though so that's good.

It was just that someone else mentioned it was a straight forward front end swap with no mods needed.

Andy
cadman342001 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-15-2013, 05:29 AM   #4
cadman342001
Fighter In Training

Tapered roller bearing kit ordered for Blade, stems/clamps dropped off at engineering place today, pick them up tomorrow. Just need to make a spacer for the top clamp.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-15-2013, 07:45 AM   #5
Reaver
Piston broke
Senior Fighterer
Reaver is a glorious beacon of lightReaver is a glorious beacon of lightReaver is a glorious beacon of lightReaver is a glorious beacon of lightReaver is a glorious beacon of lightReaver is a glorious beacon of lightReaver is a glorious beacon of lightReaver is a glorious beacon of lightReaver is a glorious beacon of lightReaver is a glorious beacon of lightReaver is a glorious beacon of light

Too many bloody variables mate! Still,least your on the right path now.

Quote:
I've met many dedicated long term bikers who bought a Vmax and sold it a fortnight later cos the vboost scared the shit out of them. one, sadly, for real real, not for play play. dude actually doogied his huggies.

Zephyr stage 1 build

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-16-2013, 11:26 PM   #6
cadman342001
Fighter In Training

Worse than that, just been to see the guy doing the job, turns out the R1 stem has a circlip in there too, distorted the hole getting it out and so now he has to put a boss on the blade shaft and turn out the R1 clamp to fit.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-17-2013, 03:00 AM   #7
Reaver
Piston broke
Senior Fighterer

Good lesson there,stems are always pressed in from the underside!! Oops.....make sure he hasn't bent or twisted the yoke,it could easily be scrap now I'm afraid.

Quote:

Zephyr stage 1 build

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Street Fighter Swaps > Fork Swaps