Project: GRIM/ Suzuki R1F600 by Phoenix - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > Past Streetfighter Buildoffs > 2011 Streetfighter Buildoff > 2011 Buildoff Entry Threads

2011 Buildoff Entry Threads All 2011 buildoff entry build threads must be posted in here!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Project: GRIM/ Suzuki R1F600 by Phoenix

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-08-2011, 12:09 PM   #1
Phoenix
Fear the Reaper
Fighterer
Phoenix's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:04 PM
Flip Offs: 5
Flipped Off 5 Times in 4 Posts
Phoenix is a name known to allPhoenix is a name known to allPhoenix is a name known to allPhoenix is a name known to allPhoenix is a name known to allPhoenix is a name known to allPhoenix is a name known to allPhoenix is a name known to allPhoenix is a name known to allPhoenix is a name known to allPhoenix is a name known to all
Default Project: GRIM/ Suzuki R1F600 by Phoenix

By reading the rules I know that anywork done up until the date shown is not considered even though most of the work has been done between November and now, however, I shall include the previous project thread link, so those that may not have seen it will get a better idea of the bike and how the project originated...

http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=40852

On to the build-off!

This is my first fighter, and indeed my first motorcycle so bear with me and feel free to add any comments,critisms or advice in the comment thread. The more feedback, the better!

I am a full time college student studying automotive design and working a part time job to pay the bills so work may not happen as quickly as some of the other build threads but I love a challenge

THE BIKE: '96 Suzuki RF600
THE CONCEPT: Lean, mean, ridin' machine without the original 'fatass' of the RF600
THE LOOK: Black on black on black on black. Polished/Chrome accents to break up the black and a splash of red

PLEASE READ THE PROJECT THREAD ABOVE BEFORE LOOKING THROUGH THIS BUILD. THE WORK DOESN'T COUNT TOWARDS THE COMPETITION BUT IT WILL BE BETTER THAN ONLY SEEING HALF THE BUILD

OFFICIAL DAY: One

The bike as it stands now (very much in peices)

Engine

Bits 'n peices

Tank

That was the condition of the project at the beginning of play today. I realise that there has been a significant amount of work done but I am also entering the competition late and that work won't be taken into consideration so if anything it goes against me...

Project: GRIM - RF600/R1 Bastard child http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=40852

Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Phoenix!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-08-2011, 12:19 PM   #2
Phoenix
Fear the Reaper
Fighterer
Phoenix is a name known to allPhoenix is a name known to allPhoenix is a name known to allPhoenix is a name known to allPhoenix is a name known to allPhoenix is a name known to allPhoenix is a name known to allPhoenix is a name known to allPhoenix is a name known to allPhoenix is a name known to allPhoenix is a name known to all
Default Re: Project: GRIM/ Suzuki R1F600 by Phoenix

The last of the major engine parts arrived this morning so I can now get on with building the engine back up. I still need a bearing for the clutch but thats on its way so it's not gonna hold me up too much

I present to you one low mileage GSXR 750W rotating assembly, complete with bearings... MUCH cheaper than buying new bearing from Suzuki

Another package arrived this morning....my satin black engine paint...time to freshen things up...

Masked up and ready to go...

Factory paint is a little tired and worn...

No drama to put right. I tested the paint on the barrel first rather than going to the effort of painting the crank case incase the paint finish looked rubbish

Free plug for an awesome product..

The results..

Up next will be the crankcase, all cleaned up and ready to go, but that must wait for another day thanks to work tonight...

I got the engine barrel inside to cure overnight and had a look under some decent lighting...

And seeing as I'm a designer, it would be cheeky not to draw up some sketches first, right?

And thats day one... not much I grant you, but its a start

Phoenix out

Project: GRIM - RF600/R1 Bastard child http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=40852

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-09-2011, 03:51 PM   #3
Phoenix
Fear the Reaper
Fighterer

Yet another spanner in the works.. The gearbox in my daily (MK2 MR2) shat itself last night so I have had to pull funds and time to sort that out. Luckily, I have a spare box in the garage and just needed to buy a new clutch kit, but its money I coulda done with saving...

Seeing as the car is gonna take up some garage time next week, I figured it was a good idea to get the crankcase painted up as the paint needs 24 hours to harden and cure.

First off I finished up the barrels, by masking up the underside and shooting it with a few more layers of paint. About 5 in total which gace a nice even finish and should stand up to some abuse...

Next it was on to the lower half of the crankcase, but first I had to repair some damage that occurred I'm guessing when the previous owner put the bike down the road

Masking up such a large open area as the bottom of the lower crankcase can be tricky..There are ways around this though...

Cereal box with oil pan used as a template..

Undercut the template by a quarter of an inch and you get something useable..

Repeated for the clutch cavity..

Ready for a shot of paint...

And nicely done...

Next up was the upper crankcase...

Degreased and washed...

Masked up and ready to rock..

Also managed to get the clutch and ignition covers painted too meaning I can now begin assembly of the lower half of the engine once the paint has hardened and the gearbox on the car is fixed..

Loving the finish on the clutch cover...

One last shot of blackness...

Thats all for now people! See you in the discussion thread

Phoenix

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-31-2011, 04:26 PM   #4
Phoenix
Fear the Reaper
Fighterer

Quick update. Student life sucks - FACT. I haven't touched the bike in over 3 weeks as a major deadline has been looming for my project in college which obviously took precidence. Added to the fact that the gearbox swap in my daily driver was a total cunt of a job, I have had next to no free time. With the college work out of the way on Wednesday though, I can focus on getting some much needed wrench time in on the bike and try and catch up with some of the competition.

I also took my bike theory test last week and passed that so I am now one step closer to being able to ride the bike on UK roads but with the weather (and road condition) the way it is right now, I'm not too bothered sticking with 4 wheels for the time being.

Parts have still be flowing in, but pretty much down to the essential parts rather than general prettification. I have now moved the bike engine to my chest of drawers next to my bed, so if I get bored with the XBOX during my hours of insomnia I can at leat turn my attention to something more productive than bashing zombies heads in with baseball bats

Thats pretty much it until Wednesday, but stay tuned because when things start happening they'll be happening fast

Phoenix out

This user High Fived Phoenix!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-13-2011, 02:01 PM   #5
Phoenix
Fear the Reaper
Fighterer

Finally, in what seems like the first time in forever, I managed to get some wrench time in on the bike today. Although today focused on the engine, I realised that I had a couple of pics of recent work on the bike that I hadn't put up so I'm gonna have to backtrack a little here before getting people up to date...

Now that the major of my class work was out of the way for the time being, I could go back and focus on the bike.

Unfortunately a few days in sunny British weather, even indoors meant that there was enough moisture in the air to corrode my freshly stripped tank. School boy error I know as I shoulda covered it with acid etch but I wasn't done stripping it so this happened...

A little while longer with wet and dry and some cellulose thinners and it was looking good

Tinners work well at disolving fingernails when you have massive blood blisters trapped under them

But despite the immense pain at having a fully exposed thumbnail, work continued...

However, stripping back the last of the paint revealed the last thing I wanted to see....

PINHOLES!!

Either way, I wasn't gonna get caught out with the surface rust on the tank again so gave it a healthy dose of acid etch..

A few days later and the water that had sat inside after pressure washing the last of the nitro-mors off had seeped through revealing the extent of the holiness....

The tank itself is covered in dents and scratches anyway so a little welding wont be a big deal and then I can get to making it look good once again...

In the meantime, my rear seat cowl for the R1 tail arrived from China with mixed response..

It certainly fills in the hole...

and its black...

But seeing as its brand new the paint work is shocking...

And even after some treatment with the heatgun and some gentle persuasion, it still looks a little deformed on the left side, but nothing that cant be fixed...

And a parting shot to show the exent of the work done in class over the past 3 weeks just for this one presentation....

More updates in a flash...

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-13-2011, 02:08 PM   #6
Phoenix
Fear the Reaper
Fighterer

The moisture in the air that had its way with my tank had also corroded the bores on my expose barrels. This led to me taking it to the machine shop and having the bores honed. An unexpected cost but still, pleasing results...

It was time to start cleaning and degreasing parts ready to build again. First stop, the GSXR crank and bearings..

Pistons and rods in the barrels after checking ring clearances and cleaning each ring and piston crown individually...

Lower crankcase assembly with gearbox components all cleaned and installed...

I fitted the crank to the upper crancase section as it was easier to drop the top half onto the bottom..

Test fitting complete!!

The paint is really starting to look like something now

This user High Fived Phoenix!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-13-2011, 02:22 PM   #7
Phoenix
Fear the Reaper
Fighterer

And so we are up to the work I have done today...

Besides various parts being ordered and arriving for the bike my housemate really came through and after I found brand new genuine R1 rear tail plastics already in black he bought it for me straight away as repayment for the one he crunchied :P

Back to the engine!!

Although it was all looking very nice in its mock fitting, I want to get the engine together so I can focus on the frame and getting the bike back together....

Final assembly....

And finally a chance to see what the ignition and clutch covers look like with the stainless bolt kit...

More updates soon... Feel free to drop any comments or critisms in the discussion thread

Phoenix out

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-25-2011, 11:39 AM   #8
Phoenix
Fear the Reaper
Fighterer

OK guys, my apologies for the lack of attendance lately, but my computer died a hard death and it took the computer store 4 weeks of attempting to fix it before deciding to give me a new yesterday.

In the mean time, work on the bike has continued and the bike itself is now at the blaster having the frame and swingarm stripped off the last of the paint ready for prepping before paint. Wheels are also there in the process of being powder and this minute I am making preperations to go and collect a stainless steel exhaust for the bike...

I will putting a fairly sizeable update online later on this evening when I get back but for now I leave you with an image I spent last night working on for my design magazine entry at our end of year degree show

Phoenix out

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-06-2011, 07:26 PM   #9
Phoenix
Fear the Reaper
Fighterer

Dont worry folks. I haven't forgotten about you, or the build off

Time to do a much overdue update on how things stand at the moment but don't worry, I'll keep it light on the pics this time. I have been lagging behind as I have to finish off my final university project which means the design work, the hard model in 1:20 scale and all the hand in stuff to go with it along with putting together a professional portfolio to start job hunting.

With the project on the back burner, things have been going slow, but havent ground to a halt...

Since the last update. I have finished the metalwork on the bike. The frame has been sent to the blasters to strip the last of the paint off it, I have had the frame back (picked it up 2 days ago) and have started the final cosmetic work before paint can be applied....

New gas tank as the other one was pitted and not worth repairing...

And 2 hours after it was delivered....

I also purchased a pair of Hayabusa 6 pot calipers for a ridiculously cheap amount but will be keeping them until I do the USD fork conversion in the future...

Another bargain buy was a brand new in the box Motard stainless system...

Got the engine assembled after the last of the paint went on...

SV650 Rad mounted to replace the huuuuuuuugge stock rad...

Thats all your getting for now, I have more uni work to get done so I'll be up until the earl hours (again) but rest assured, I don't sleep much so the bike will get done in no time. Next up on the list....

Collect wheels and bits from powder coaters tomorrow
Finish frame prep
Prime frame
Take frame and mock up tank and seat plastics to the upholsterer to get the custom seat made
Paint frame
Assemble front forks and rear swing arm
install engine

I aim to get all this completed by the end of the month, hopefully having the bike sat back on two tyres again.....

Watch this space.

Phoenix out

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > Past Streetfighter Buildoffs > 2011 Streetfighter Buildoff > 2011 Buildoff Entry Threads