F'dup's "No regeret" 2002 SV650, party and bullshit thread - Page 4 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > Past Streetfighter Buildoffs > 2017 Winter Buildoff > Discussion Threads

Discussion Threads Rabble rabble rabble

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > F'dup's "No regeret" 2002 SV650, party and bullshit thread

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-28-2016, 08:43 PM   #31
F'dup
Hack in a barn

CF Pimp
F'dup's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:20 PM
Flip Offs: 35
Flipped Off 9 Times in 9 Posts
F'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: F'dup's "No regeret" 2002 SV650, party and bullshit thread

Wanted to give an update on the lathe situation. As it's not the actual motorcycle I'll just do a discussion thread post.

Bought this work table at lowes. It was $150... Not going to complain, it has three outlet power strip, florescent light, large flip to storage and one large drawer and two small drawers. Also a bottom storage tray.

Now, it did hold the lathe, but the 1/2" mdf top sages like crazy under the weight of it. Alright might as well fighter it up a bit.

So I could've just added a thicker sheet of plywood or hardwood, but the platform as a whole isn't really stable in stock form.

Lines drawn and holes drilled.

I bolted table top to the frame, this tied the top to the frame and made the whole structure more ridged.

That helped with stability, but the top still wasn't up to task for the weight of the lathe. I ended up adding aluminum 90 bracing. One 2" wide in the middle then two 1-1/2" strips on the outer edges and one 1-1/2" for the tail stock end.

Soap stone line across the back before the lathe was set on shows no flex under weight.

So a lick of black paint to keep oil from soaking in too much and call it a day.

The red krylon paint on the lathe was a nice touch. 'Till you take the thing apart to tighten and lube and check everything over.

It turned out to be the lathe equivalent of when someone tapes some news paper to the bike and motor and proceeds to paint the frame. And most every thing else that shouldn't have paint on it.

Come on man...

SOOO... Just been cleaning the ways and everything else that should be a smooth metal surface. Checking things out as I go. Fixing small issues and the such.

Goal is to have it up and running by December, which is Thursday ...

TL;DR .... It turns out you can't just buy a used 60 year or so lathe and make chips the next day. It's been a learning experience that's for sure...

2017 build off sv650 build thread <---Click here

SV650 b.s.'n and post build off progress on the bike thread thread <---Click here

DR650 supermoto build <--click

2000 R6 build <--click

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_Raz View Post
A bit of vaseline should lube your bush up real nice though. Just make sure that your shaft is a good fit.
F'dup is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-29-2016, 12:21 AM   #32
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:20 PM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

You don't mess around, do you?

This makes me think back to when I drug my lathe home and tore it down to spruce it up. Lots of fun. Whatever you do, don't use PB Blaster on the bare metal surfaces. I wouldnt've thought it, but it flash rusted like crazy. 3-n-1 is the way to go.
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived shinyribs!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-04-2016, 06:20 PM   #33
F'dup
Hack in a barn

CF Pimp
F'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month 

One more discussion thread post on the lathe. Missed my Thursday deadline for a working setup by a couple of days but it's all good.

Now, I can get back to the regularly scheduled programming of DW on the actual motorcycle.
As all my attention was put into this side project.

Leveling a lathe, less fun than wiring... Trust me.

Nonetheless it's on the table, leveled (well not to production machine standards I'm sure), and secure.

Threw a piece of copper into the new (to me) 4" three jaw and... Made a thing!!!!!

Lined the drawers and bottom storage with some 1/2" plywood. If you ever consider this table it is a must do. The super thin gauge metal they use is actually pathetic... Can't trust it to hold a turd...

All my scrap metal pieces and my chop saw safely tucked away.

SV650 b.s.'n and post build off progress on the bike thread thread <---Click here

2000 R6 build <--click

Quote:
A bit of vaseline should lube your bush up real nice though. Just make sure that your shaft is a good fit.
This user High Fived F'dup!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-07-2016, 10:32 PM   #34
MikeGyver
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
MikeGyver's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:20 PM
Flip Offs: 312
Flipped Off 173 Times in 149 Posts
MikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too much
Default Medal Fighter of the Month 

Your first lathe bike part! Nice work.

'98 Ducati 916
'00 Ducati 996
'03 SV650(sold)

Skully Stickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbuc View Post
yell, "Built not bought mother fucker!" in there face and then spit on their bike and walk off.
MikeGyver is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived MikeGyver!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-07-2016, 11:46 PM   #35
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

It's all " the little bullshit pieces" that really does make them handy to have around. Now, if you only had a mill, too...
These people High Fived shinyribs!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-12-2016, 04:16 PM   #36
yantosh
yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:20 PM
Flip Offs: 14
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

why not just relocate the sidestand switch into a dumpster? that'd solve any clearance issues it causes
yantosh is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived yantosh!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-12-2016, 06:07 PM   #37
F'dup
Hack in a barn

CF Pimp
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh View Post
why not just relocate the sidestand switch into a dumpster? that'd solve any clearance issues it causes
Lol, I hear ya...

My sporster never came with one, I don't even know if harley puts them on now.
That being the case I have the habit of a swift boot swing before taking off to make sure the stands are up on all my bikes.

But, to be honest I don't mind having it when they are there.

Funny story if y'all are still reading. Guy down the road from me was a Ductista through and through. My house has a slight bend before the driveway, well one day my dude comes down the road and comes to the bend and well, his kickstand was down. It taps the road sends him upright then cruising through my yard. He stops just short of the woods line but keeps it up the whole time. When he took his helmet off he was white as a ghost...

SIDE NOTE: If I were to do that suspension swap again I'd remake the triangles in order to move the dog bone back and away from the lower mount I shaved the other day. It came to me after I had already ground the clearance, so it is what it is. But if in the future if someone is using this thread as a guide to the swap it would probably be better to remake the triangles. Thought it's worth mentioning...

2000 R6 build <--click

Quote:
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-18-2016, 05:47 PM   #38
yantosh
yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:20 PM
Flip Offs: 14
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

lathe proving handy already
yantosh is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived yantosh!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-18-2016, 06:20 PM   #39
F'dup
Hack in a barn

CF Pimp
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh View Post
lathe proving handy already
Honest, I don't know why I waited so long to get one.

The fact that I can just go out to my garage and turn these parts up on my own time is worth every penny of the entrance fee for a lathe.

Speaking of that. For what it's worth, I'm into this setup for about $700 (us dollar). From lathe, table and tooling purchases... Not what I'd call cheap, but, very much a value.

2000 R6 build <--click

Quote:
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-18-2016, 08:57 PM   #40
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by F'dup View Post
Honest, I don't know why I waited so long to get one.
EVERYBODY who ends up buying a lathe ALWAYS says that.

I know I did. And I probably will say the same if i ever get around to picking up a mill. It's tough being cheap.
This user High Fived shinyribs!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > Past Streetfighter Buildoffs > 2017 Winter Buildoff > Discussion Threads