K5 GSXR600 front end on a 2003 ZR7S - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Street Fighter Swaps > Fork Swaps

Fork Swaps Fork and Front End Swap Discussion goes here

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > K5 GSXR600 front end on a 2003 ZR7S

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-31-2016, 02:15 PM   #1
makenzie71
GURU
Fighterer
Local Time: 11:03 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
makenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to all
Default K5 GSXR600 front end on a 2003 ZR7S

So my options are swapping stems or adapting bearings.

I like the idea of swapping stems. I'm told the GSXR stem will press out of the triples but I don't know about the ZR7S stem. Anyone know? If I do this I can have a sleeve made to press the Kawasaki stem in...this seems like the most inexpensive and easiest way to do it.

Adapting bearings is being troublesome because I'm having a hard time finding the bearings. I can get the right ID/OD but not the depth. To do it I would need 30x47x15 and 52x30x16.5...if anyone has a lead on where I could get those bearings for it would be actually be easier than pressing stems, but I'm having a hard time finding them. All the ones I've seen would require me to still have spacers made to carry the weight...I would like to avoid that.

I would also be open to other solutions if you guys know of any.
makenzie71 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-31-2016, 02:47 PM   #2
medimicated420
GURU
CF Addict
Flip Offs: 27
Flipped Off 5 Times in 5 Posts
medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Re: K5 GSXR600 front end on a 2003 ZR7S

if you have both triples, then measure distance between the top and lower

If within a few mm you should just go to allballsracing.com and see if they offer the conversion bearing for you

Then all you have to do is knock out some hearing races and slap the new ones onto your stem. The convenience is worth the 50 bucks Imo.
medimicated420 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-31-2016, 03:00 PM   #3
makenzie71
GURU
Fighterer
makenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to all

The bearings that all balls offer are the wrong height. When looking at their fork conversion chart it lists 47x30x12 and 52x30x15. Height on top is suppose to be 15 and height on the bottom is suppose to be 16.5. I'm pretty sure trying to use those will sandwich the triples on the steering head (unless I just can't remember how steering heads work anymore...has been a few years since I did such a thing).

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-31-2016, 03:18 PM   #4
RedLiner
GURU

Senior Fighterer
RedLiner's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 44
Flipped Off 7 Times in 7 Posts
RedLiner is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RedLiner is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RedLiner is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RedLiner is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RedLiner is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RedLiner is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RedLiner is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RedLiner is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RedLiner is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RedLiner is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RedLiner is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

The kits come with washers. All you need to do is shim the difference if they are short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post
I just want the bike to be better, stronger, faster.

Like the 6 Million Dollar Man.
RedLiner is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-31-2016, 03:32 PM   #5
ultimate fighter
Remi's Dad
ultimate fighter's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:03 PM
Flip Offs: 1,427
Flipped Off 875 Times in 399 Posts
ultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympus
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

stem swap everything. I have never had an issue stem swapping but searching for bearings is useless when you can use the stock stem and drill the new top triple (if the old stem is larger diameter on top) or bush it (if the new triple is too large of a diameter)

Its easier, i promise

i always seem to get bearings that work fine but stem is too short to fit the lock nuts washers and top stem nut with enough threads to feel comfortably

UF's 2017 winter buildoff MOE POWA
talk about my junk
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh View Post
CB is cool as fuck , proper old skool kick your cunt in for looking at it funny
ultimate fighter is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-31-2016, 04:46 PM   #6
makenzie71
GURU
Fighterer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLiner View Post
The kits come with washers. All you need to do is shim the difference if they are short.
I didn't know they came with washers...I'll look a little more into that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate fighter View Post
stem swap everything. I have never had an issue stem swapping but searching for bearings is useless when you can use the stock stem and drill the new top triple (if the old stem is larger diameter on top) or bush it (if the new triple is too large of a diameter)

Its easier, i promise

i always seem to get bearings that work fine but stem is too short to fit the lock nuts washers and top stem nut with enough threads to feel comfortably
I prefer that idea because it lets me stick with factory bearings, but the stems are almost exactly the same length. That part I wouldn't struggle with.

The only real motivation I have for doing the bearings over a stem swap is that it lets me sell a complete front end.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-31-2016, 10:55 PM   #7
ultimate fighter
Remi's Dad
ultimate fighter's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:03 PM
Flip Offs: 1,427
Flipped Off 875 Times in 399 Posts
ultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympus
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

What's resale value?

UF's 2017 winter buildoff MOE POWA
talk about my junk
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh View Post
CB is cool as fuck , proper old skool kick your cunt in for looking at it funny
ultimate fighter is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-31-2016, 11:05 PM   #8
makenzie71
GURU
Fighterer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate fighter View Post
What's resale value?
http://imgur.com/a/lz3g7

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Street Fighter Swaps > Fork Swaps