Anyone found a way of adapting a mechanical speedometer around later model forks? - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Street Fighter Swaps > Fork Swaps

Fork Swaps Fork and Front End Swap Discussion goes here

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Anyone found a way of adapting a mechanical speedometer around later model forks?

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-06-2017, 03:37 PM   #1
makenzie71
GURU
Fighterer
Local Time: 12:46 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
makenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to all
Default Anyone found a way of adapting a mechanical speedometer around later model forks?

Just dawned on me that my ZR7S has a mechanical speedometer driven off the front wheel...which I'll lose when I swap to the K6 GSXR600 forks. Has anyone found a way to drive a mechanical speedo off a setup where neither wheel/axle is accommodating?

I'm aware of my aftermarket options...I'd like to avoid them, but if it's unavoidable I already have a plan.
makenzie71 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-06-2017, 03:42 PM   #2
a_morti
GURU

CF Addict
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:46 PM
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 24 Times in 14 Posts
a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Re: Anyone found a way of adapting a mechanical speedometer around later model forks?

I know that bike has an engine with a very long lifespan. Did any variants have a front sprocket drive speedo cable?

For example the earliest cbr900 has a front wheel driven speedo cable, the next model had the cable on the front sprocket cover, the next had an electronic drive on the speedo cover and the next a gearbox sensor. I guess you could swap and mix/match to a degree although I couldn't guess at the relative gear ratios.

Aaron, living in Gibraltar and riding a 2014 MSX125 (Grom) with a bunch of shiny shite on it. Slow n loud!
a_morti is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-06-2017, 03:46 PM   #3
a_morti
GURU

CF Addict
a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Re: Anyone found a way of adapting a mechanical speedometer around later model forks?

Hmm, may have dreamt the second type for cbr900.

Still, early cbr400 had wheel drive speedo and later had cable on the sprocket so the principle is sound. I just don't know kawis

Aaron, living in Gibraltar and riding a 2014 MSX125 (Grom) with a bunch of shiny shite on it. Slow n loud!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-06-2017, 03:51 PM   #4
makenzie71
GURU
Fighterer
makenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to allmakenzie71 is a name known to all

I new the CBr carried a mechanical speedo for a while but the biggest axle diameter I can find with them is 20mm.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-06-2017, 04:51 PM   #5
a_morti
GURU

CF Addict

I'm thinking the other angle, can you find a sprocket cover with Speedo drive inside?

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-06-2017, 08:07 PM   #6
makenzie71
GURU
Fighterer

What bikes had a mechanical speedometer driven off the sprocket? That'd be perfect. I can find a way to make that work.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-06-2017, 08:30 PM   #7
Streetfighterkz
Capt Oblivious
CF Pimp
Streetfighterkz's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flipped Off 11 Times in 7 Posts
Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by makenzie71 View Post
What bikes had a mechanical speedometer driven off the sprocket? That'd be perfect. I can find a way to make that work.

Vfr750's from '90-97 I believe. That's what I'm using on my Gpz project along with a +4" CB750 speedo cable.

Later, Doug

74 Kawasaki H1-500 Project
76 Kawasaki Kz900 'Strip-fighter Project
77 Kawasaki Kz1000
78 Kawasaki Kz1000 Project
'80 Cx500 Cafe/Brat Project
83 Kawasaki Gpz750 (Turbo Converted) Project
Streetfighterkz is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-06-2017, 09:39 PM   #8
makenzie71
GURU
Fighterer

Neat. Found them. I may not be able to use that, but I bit I can make something work similarly.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-07-2017, 02:28 AM   #9
a_morti
GURU

CF Addict

Hondas like cb-1, cbr400 nc29. The nc29 in particular has a removable pickup which may be adaptable on to other bikes. I thought it was a more common concept than it seems to be!

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302138150253

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-09-2017, 01:00 AM   #10
rex_saugerty
V four honda whore
rex_saugerty's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:46 PM
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 40 Times in 39 Posts
rex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetfighterkz View Post
Vfr750's from '90-97 I believe. That's what I'm using on my Gpz project along with a +4" CB750 speedo cable.

Later, Doug

Then why does my vfr has no cable?

It reads signal from sprocket. But it is electronical speedo.

My suggrstion would be to use rim and speedo drive from bike that has those and fit them in those forks. My rc24 has cable drive on forks from rc36 that has reader at sprocket

1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0
rex_saugerty is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Street Fighter Swaps > Fork Swaps