November FOTM Entry Thread - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Fighter Of The Month > 2017 Fighter of the Month

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > November FOTM Entry Thread

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-01-2017, 09:13 AM   #1
Cookie2000ad
Persuasion Engineered
Cookie2000ad's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:56 PM
Flip Offs: 166
Flipped Off 59 Times in 27 Posts
Cookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CK
Default Medal Burnout Contest Winner Fighter of the Month 
Default November FOTM Entry Thread

Enter here for the November 2017 FOTM!

The rules:

- You must have a minimum of 50 posts
- 4-8 good pics of your bike (and tell us which one you want used for judging)
- List of modifications and such
- Must currently own said bike

Past entries allowed providing
1. you did not win
OR
2. you've made measurable upgrades since last time

As discussed here, non-winners will be rolled over from month to month throughout the year. 2 more months of rolling bikes over this year before the back-to-zero entry in Jan. Thanks to all that have allowed their bikes to be re-entered and keep FOTM interesting! We've had a roll-over winner already and nearly had another last month!

Deadline is the 21st before we start voting.
Cookie2000ad is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Cookie2000ad!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-04-2017, 12:44 PM   #2
make that thing forkless
forks and valves... WTF?
Senior Fighterer
make that thing forkless's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:56 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 3 Times in 3 Posts
make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 
Default Julian's Dirtbag Dual-Sport

Per suggestion, here you go...

To give some background, I'll start by mentioning that this bike was specifically built for 2017 Dirtbag Challenge. The DBC is a local San Francisco area build-off where the rules are fairly simple... $1000 budget, 1 month build time, no Harleys (there is supposedly a reason for this rule, but I don't know why), and complete a 100 mile ride to be in the show.

This was my fifth year to enter. Normally I have a direction planned out months in advance, however this year I kinda decide to do a build at the last minute. I already had a 500 Ninja donor bike and some dirtbike parts, so initial plan was to add the dirt parts to the Ninja and keep the build very simple, but then this happened...

Last year they made two rule changes, the budget was bumped to $2000, and the ride was increased to 200+ miles with over night camping. Then this year they bumped the build time to 2 months and ride length to 300+ miles with two nights of camping. When I heard the build window had been doubled, I decided to up my game.

The bike still uses the 500 Ninja engine and electrics, but I decided to start with one of my AK-1 roadracing frames that had been left sitting unfinished in the welding fixture for the past 15+ years only tack welded together. Here is is what I ended up with...

(probably use this photo for voting)

[IMG]20171008_181944 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20171008_182128 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20171008_181633 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20170916_190410 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20170915_181952 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20170819_115109 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20171015_084835 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20171015_175357 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

Build specs:

- engine, electrics, cooling system from Kawasaki 500 Ninja
- main frame: modified AK-1 roadracer (rake modified to +5 degrees)
- mid frame: sheet steel, based on AK-1 design
- rear frame: custom built, sorta kinda based on AK-1 design
- tank and seat: Yamaha R6
- front wheel and forks: Suzuki DRZ400
- rear wheel: Suzuki DR350
- rear shocks: Yamaha/Ohlins SRX snowmobile
- swingarm: custom built, designed for long-travel with dual snowmobile shocks
- exhaust: custom built using Muzzy head pipe, custom mid-section, DanMoto muffler cans (originally for Ducati Monster)
- headlight: Yamaha FZ600
- foot controls: Suzuki GSXR750
- +5" throttle and clutch cables from MotionPro

The bike performed nearly perfect for the three days of riding, although did have a temporary ignition issue that went away(?). The ride totaled 385 miles over the three days and included lots of super fun high speed winding back roads, a few miles of dirt fire roads, and a some sections of normal highway riding. The bike is very tall and after the first day of riding someone riding behind me commented that it looked really cool to see such a tall bike tipping into some of the tight corners. The twisty roads were a blast. I felt like i was riding a tall sport bike... well, I kinda was!

Back at the Dirtbag party, the bike won a trophy for the "cleverest bike". It was great fun and and I highly recommend the DBC build-off for anyone in the area (aka MikeGyver )

cheers!
make that thing forkless is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-08-2017, 08:44 PM   #3
sugarkryptonite
Fighter
sugarkryptonite's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:56 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
sugarkryptonite has a brilliant futuresugarkryptonite has a brilliant futuresugarkryptonite has a brilliant futuresugarkryptonite has a brilliant futuresugarkryptonite has a brilliant futuresugarkryptonite has a brilliant futuresugarkryptonite has a brilliant futuresugarkryptonite has a brilliant futuresugarkryptonite has a brilliant futuresugarkryptonite has a brilliant futuresugarkryptonite has a brilliant future
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: November FOTM Entry Thread

Well, a bunch of you have said I should post this in here, even though the bike isn't 100% complete yet, so here it goes!

Background:
Bought the bike last April, my first ever motorcycle. It's a 1984 V65 Sabre, which was totally stock when I got it. Did a bunch of maintenance to it last year and rode it. This past winter I transformed the bike (with a lot of help from my dad) into what you see below.

Brief mod list:
  • 1999 R1 Front fork conversion (a lot of machining involved + custom steering stem)
  • Completely modified rear frame for seat
  • Custom coolant overflow tank
  • Custom battery box
  • Custom rear undertail panel & side panels
  • Custom tail light bracket
  • Powder coated frame & swingarm
  • Custom seat
  • Painted engine
  • Custom mount + rear shock from CBR1100XX Blackbird
  • All new electrical + new speedometer
  • New tires
  • Wrapped & painted exhaust
  • All maintenance done
  • And unfortunately...new head gaskets

(Use first pic for judging)

What it looked like before

...and some pics of the more extensive mods

Hopefully that's not too many pics...

Thanks!
sugarkryptonite is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Fighter Of The Month > 2017 Fighter of the Month