Matty`s China Street Quad - Page 5 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Other Motorcycle Discussion

Other Motorcycle Discussion Anything about any other type of motorcycle goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Matty`s China Street Quad

View Poll Results: Which road to take?
Fix`n flip 2 28.57%
Full custom rebuild 2 28.57%
No fucks hoontrike 3 42.86%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-21-2020, 05:59 PM   #41
Mattson
Stressed Member
Mattson's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:33 PM
Flip Offs: 25
Flipped Off 34 Times in 22 Posts
Mattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Matty`s China Street Quad

Small update but still sth as I`ve more or less finished with the graphics. Surprisingly the narrow strips on the rear fenders were hands down the most difficult as both sides had to be made from two pieces, and only when I finished the left side and copied the stickers to the right side I realized the fairing is in fact asymmetrical which gave me a few grey hairs but I, just barely, got the vinyl to last to the end. At first I was thinking about adding the same kind of arches to the back as in the front but when I started modeling those I realized it`s a compound curve, takes up more vinyl that I have left and just doesn`t look right so ended up with this design.

Got a message yesterday that my rear axel seal and bearings have arrived to a local tractor supply shop so gonna go fetch those next saturday, hopefully got the time to fab the exhaust this weekend and FINALLY get to try if this thing even fires up! OH before that I gotta fit the battery box and extend the power leads so no holding breaths just yet...

Bashan BS200-S7 '07 Street Quad
Mattson is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Mattson!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-22-2020, 05:52 PM   #42
Mattson
Stressed Member
Mattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

Swapped the sprockets and cleaned up the engine as well as I could tonight, quite unsurprisingly the front sprocket area as well as the rear swingarm bottom guard were absolutely caked with old chain grease mud and other nasties.

Also took the rear axel carrier out for the bearing swap next weekend. Could someone with more mechanical skills than me explain one thing to me. The bearings in question are sealed on both sides and the spacer in between is just floating between them with nothing else to do than to be a spacer. WHY is there a grease nipple and the cavity in between is filled with grease?!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-24-2020, 12:06 AM   #43
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:33 AM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Damn that green motor!

Decals do look good, man. Good call on those.

I dunno about the grease nipple. Maybe it's so the axle doesn't get frozen to the bearing races. Or maybe it didn't originally have sealed bearings?
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-24-2020, 02:07 AM   #44
Mattson
Stressed Member
Fighter of the Month 

Had a chat about it with the quad guys on Chinariders and apparently the reason is two-fold.

1. The original bearings are only sealed from the outside and the grease should keep em lubed provided the PO has bothered to maintain them which I sincerely doubt since 4200km and they're already crunchy. I couldn't even order that kind and the lady at the parts desk was like why would you want that? Had a fleeting desire to introduct her to the inner wonders of the two-stroke engine but quickly thought better of it.

2. When you ride for long enough the carrier starts to warm up. If you happen to, say, cross a creek having it nice and toasty the air inside creates a vacuum which snorts the cavity full of water. If it's packed with grease this cannot happen.

Trying to get the back axel back together and maybe the battery box fitted during this weekend, then would still have the exhaust to fab til I can even test the engine

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-25-2020, 07:32 PM   #45
Mattson
Stressed Member
Fighter of the Month 

Took the rear carrier apart today, somebody wanna tell me what the hell happened here?! Looks like as if one of the bearings had exploded and the balls have gone loose into the grease cavity, which would suggest the bearings have already been changed at least once, which in turn puts the odometer reading of 4200km under serious doubt. Either it has been disconnected for a long time or it has actually gone over and it`s on it`s second round! Had a bit of an event with the new bearings too. I looked online for them and found them in several places for anything between 5 and 15 euros plus carriage but waiting for a month for them didn`t sit right with me as I want to see what sits where before fabbing the exhaust so I ordered a pair into a local tractor parts dealer. You could imagine the "wait what" when I went in to get them and heard the price. They weren`t 5 euros. They weren`t even 15 euros. They were 63 euros. Per side. The ONE TIME I didn`t ask beforehand what they cost as I naively assumed they`d be around the same or at least not much over. With that money I could have ordered TWO new carriers and still have enough for the assembly beer!!!!

Having recovered from that for a day I decided to whip out the mig rig and start sticking bits together. First up was the new battery box and it`s bracket. At first my plan was to fit it so far back the box can actually swing open but it just didn`t look right sticking out that far so I figured it`s not that much of a hassle removing seven bolts/nuts to lift the rear fairing off, it`s not like you`re digging into the battery box every week anyway.

Somehow the muffler had managed to both rip out the front mount from the frame tube AND cracked the rear loop so those, among other fractures here and there, got welded. Judging by the cracks and the fact the right side fender bracket was bent this thing had been capsized at least once. Might at some point redo the twelve-o-clock-bar with either a skidplate or some rollerskate wheels but that`s a very low priority at this point.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-02-2020, 05:43 PM   #46
Mattson
Stressed Member
Fighter of the Month 

New bearings and seal pressed into the rear carrier, got an email last Friday that my brake parts have left the Netherlands only after waiting three short weeks from ordering so postponed the axel assembly so I don`t have to do it many times.

While waiting I`ve tried to tie up the loose ends, finished the exhaust reroute (well, still have to remove the front part, adjust the angle of the joint and weld all tacked pieces properly together.) The welds look horrible for three distinct reasons: I had to use parts of the original exhaust to size up at the connector, the original exhaust is a bitch to weld onto being thin walled and inferior quality metal, and most of all I`m not that good at welding.

Also did some electric work extending the wires of both rear turning indicators and welded a bracket for the starter relay onto the battery box but didn`t see necessary to take pics of those.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-02-2020, 07:28 PM   #47
titan
hooligan quads

CF Addict
titan's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:33 AM
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 14 Times in 2 Posts
titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

you smash throught rear axel bearings on quads pretty fast when they have fixed axel on the road. i used to change my canam 450 bearings every 1500 miles, all the stress from roundabouts, corners etc with no diff put them under alot of load, they are designed to slide on dirt.

i have seen them without a spacer and just packed with grease alot of people drill the hub to fit nipples

ride it like you stole it

Customization not Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.
H Designs

2020 build off - build - chat
titan is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-03-2020, 04:38 AM   #48
Mattson
Stressed Member
Fighter of the Month 

Not awfully surprised considering what condition the rear swingarm bearings/bushings are in, grabbed it while leaning over beside the quad last night and noticed there's quite a bit of play there as well. If I were to keep this thing that'd probly be the next thing to open but after some consideration I've come to the conclusion that just maybe some older smaller cc bike would serve me better after all, something like a CB350 or a Suzuki GS or the likes. Just the thing with those is when you go old enough like early/turn of the '80:s the asking prices suddenly turn up again.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-03-2020, 04:36 PM   #49
Mattson
Stressed Member
Fighter of the Month 

...And he said "let there be light", and there was light...

Probly an insignificant post to anyone else but I really needed the moral win seeing the beast slowly waking up from it`s years of slumber. Everything`s connected with test leads at this point but slowly chewing my way through the connections by soldering connectors from the old wiring harness and replacing with other kinds where not available. Had to change the connector of the general lighting relay as the fire had destroyed the original one and couldn`t find the one the new harness used. Got it working 7/8 for now as of course I managed to drop one of the spade connectors into the sewer beneath the lifter table and the package only came with one mercy piece and that of course was a female one...

The front indicators cannot yet be fitted as the bracket they will be fitted on does not yet exist, here`s a small teaser on what I`m planning to hang onto it as well, but that`ll have to wait for now.

This user High Fived Mattson!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-04-2020, 06:06 PM   #50
Mattson
Stressed Member
Fighter of the Month 

Got started with the fog light circuit (since you know, we all got handlebar switches and relay sockets laying around gathering dust just in case right?) but got robbed of ability to think by a very persistent headache which I`m still nursing writing this so didn`t get far today. Still gotta finish welding the exhaust and rewiring the engine kill/start buttons before test firing as the connectors for those seem to be different in the new wiring loom and what I have dangling off the quad.

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Other Motorcycle Discussion