2 H4 bulbs to one single H4 bulb - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Beginner Streetfighter Questions

Beginner Streetfighter Questions This is the place to ask all beginner questions with no fear of being flamed. This section will be HEAVILY MODERATED! Any fighter related question is allowed, no matter how simple!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > 2 H4 bulbs to one single H4 bulb

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-20-2020, 04:44 PM   #1
NickJV
NoObie
Noobie
Local Time: 06:36 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
NickJV is a NOOB
Default 2 H4 bulbs to one single H4 bulb

Hello everyone, I am sure this question has been asked a lot of times before. I just can't find the right searching terms (or whatever) to find the answer to my question. So apologies in advance if I am asking something very stupid.

I am currently rebuilding my Yamaha FZS600 to a naked/streetfighter-conversion.
The bike has two H4 bulb headlights by default. Either of the bulbs being high beam and low beams. I bought a single retro headlight with only one H4 fit.

Can I rewire the cables so that I can use one bulb for either for the high beam and/or low beam?

As far as I discovered by reading around on the internet I can take the plus-cable from both old H4 bulbs and connect them to the new single H4 bulb. Also connecting both GROUND-cables together and connecting them to the single H4 bulb.

In addition I made an easy image in Paint. The left being the current situation. The right being the situation I am asking about.

Thank you in advance!
NickJV is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-20-2020, 10:58 PM   #2
Streetfighterkz
Capt Oblivious
CF Pimp
Streetfighterkz's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flipped Off 11 Times in 7 Posts
Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Re: 2 H4 bulbs to one single H4 bulb

I’m a little fuzzy...you currently have (2) dual filament H4 headlight bulbs? You want to use (1) dual filament bulb? If that’s the case, then hook up the single H4 with one of the connectors and tape the other one so it doesn’t accidentally short out on something.

Does that help?

Later, Doug

‘74 Kawasaki H1-500 Project
‘76 Kawasaki Kz900 'Strip-fighter Project
‘77 Kawasaki Kz1000
‘78 Kawasaki Kz1000 Project
'80 Cx500 Cafe/Brat Project
‘83 Kawasaki Gpz750 (Turbo Converted) Project
Streetfighterkz is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Streetfighterkz!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-20-2020, 11:01 PM   #3
Streetfighterkz
Capt Oblivious
CF Pimp
Streetfighterkz's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flipped Off 11 Times in 7 Posts
Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

After re-reading your post, one more question. Each current H4 bulb only has two wires going to them: one power and one ground?

Later, Doug

‘74 Kawasaki H1-500 Project
‘76 Kawasaki Kz900 'Strip-fighter Project
‘77 Kawasaki Kz1000
‘78 Kawasaki Kz1000 Project
'80 Cx500 Cafe/Brat Project
‘83 Kawasaki Gpz750 (Turbo Converted) Project
Streetfighterkz is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Streetfighterkz!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-21-2020, 12:48 AM   #4
Casper
The friendly Ghost.
Casper's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:36 AM
Flip Offs: 189
Flipped Off 34 Times in 28 Posts
Casper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

Simply, yes you can run both high and low beams on your new reflector with only 1 H4 bulb.

I assume you don't have access to the third plug in either of the H4 connectors stock. You may need to pick up a 3 wire H4 pigtail and solder both grounds into the common ground and low / high into their respective wires.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Casper!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-21-2020, 06:52 AM   #5
NickJV
NoObie
Noobie
NickJV is a NOOB

Thank you both for your effort and help! I think I am making this way too hard on myself as I have little to no experience with electrics. At least till now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetfighterkz View Post
After re-reading your post, one more question. Each current H4 bulb only has two wires going to them: one power and one ground?

Later, Doug
That's right. Both h4 bulbs have 2 wires going to them. One power and one ground wire. So I was planning to connect the 2 ground wires together. This way I would have 3 wires left: one power for high beam, one power for low beam and one combined ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Simply, yes you can run both high and low beams on your new reflector with only 1 H4 bulb.

I assume you don't have access to the third plug in either of the H4 connectors stock. You may need to pick up a 3 wire H4 pigtail and solder both grounds into the common ground and low / high into their respective wires.
Actually I have a 3 wire H4 pigtail. I just need to connect the wires in the right position of it.

But what are the correct positions of connecting wires to a H4 bulb? Which one is high beam, low beam or ground? As I am finding different schemes around the internet. (See the image below)

Anyways today I am going to try to connect the wires. I will let know what comes out. What is confusing me so much is that the the bike by default has 1 bulb used for low beams and and 1 bulb used exceptionally for high beams.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-21-2020, 11:17 AM   #6
Casper
The friendly Ghost.
Casper's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:36 AM
Flip Offs: 189
Flipped Off 34 Times in 28 Posts
Casper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

All H4 bulbs have a standard pin out. You can ensure you use the right circuitry by taking a a couple short wires and making a little light circuit with your battery.

It doesn't matter which way to wire it up first as incandescent bulbs do not care which direction the electrons flow through them. You also need not worry about touching the electrified metal at 12 V as it won't enter your body. (Too high resistance of the skin at that low voltage.)

This appears standard to me.

As for the two headlights for the different functions could be:
Cheaper to produce reflectors with only one focal point.
If high beam light still uses high beam filament, then you also have a spare should one go out by swapping bulbs.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Casper!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-24-2020, 07:53 AM   #7
NickJV
NoObie
Noobie
NickJV is a NOOB

Thanks for the help. I figured it out and it is working! I connected the high-beam+ and the low-beam+ wires to the H4 adapter (like the one in the post above this one). Also I connected both ground wires together and connected them to the H4 bulb.

Anyways thanks a lot!
This user High Fived NickJV!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Beginner Streetfighter Questions