How to Wrap your Tank in Carbon fiber (and do small parts) - Page 3 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Paint and Bodywork

Paint and Bodywork Anything to do with fabricating bodywork, composites, prep and paint work goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > How to Wrap your Tank in Carbon fiber (and do small parts)

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-23-2010, 05:31 PM   #21
CK 187
CAPTAIN AWESOMEŽ

CK 187's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:00 AM
Flip Offs: 631
Flipped Off 470 Times in 171 Posts
CK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too much
Default Medal Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 
Default Re: How to Wrap your Tank in Carbon fiber (and do small parts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by endo View Post
It is, but at least it's his own thread he's spamming
CK 187 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-23-2010, 05:34 PM   #22
2grandzx7r
Fighterer
2grandzx7r's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:00 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 2 Times in 2 Posts
2grandzx7r is a good noobie2grandzx7r is a good noobie

so its off topic… but what guy doesn't love knives this is interesting too…. and relate it all by making carbon fiber handle
2grandzx7r is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived 2grandzx7r!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-23-2010, 05:48 PM   #23
bwh998
GURU
CF Pimp
Flip Offs: 10
Flipped Off 50 Times in 43 Posts
bwh998 is a name known to allbwh998 is a name known to allbwh998 is a name known to allbwh998 is a name known to allbwh998 is a name known to allbwh998 is a name known to allbwh998 is a name known to allbwh998 is a name known to allbwh998 is a name known to allbwh998 is a name known to allbwh998 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker87 View Post
how long do you need to maintain that? an oven is the best (and usually most expensive) way to keep things hot for long periods of time. i do all my heat treating in a propane forge and then quench in oil or water. if you want i can heat treat it for you.
thanks
~Chris
well, with the low carbon steel i have the carbon content would be too low for heat treating by itself to have any benefit so some type of carbon is going to have to be introduced (case hardening).

i may end up building a propane forge, did you build or buy yours?
bwh998 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-23-2010, 06:29 PM   #24
Racing Geek
lb/hp is what it's about!
Racing Geek's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 168
Flipped Off 83 Times in 73 Posts
Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Scavenger Hunt 

I just skimmed over the tech but it does look pretty simple from the pics and what little I did read. Maybe the 360 will see carbon
Racing Geek is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-23-2010, 07:56 PM   #25
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW
SEBSPEED's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 53
Flipped Off 57 Times in 47 Posts
SEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

Your pics are inspirational!

Are you going to trim down the ring of the gas cap, or is the carbon you used thin enough that it doesn't keep the cap from fitting?

If I did this, I would still wet sand/polish/clearcoat, just to really seal it up.

Find me on Facebook at Sebspeed Customs

Float like a Goldwing, sting like a gixxer

2015 FOTY VFR750

2016 threads
Turbo 7/11

750 Slingshot
Discussion thread

2017 thread
VFR800 Build
SEBSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived SEBSPEED!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-24-2010, 12:55 AM   #26
Racing Geek
lb/hp is what it's about!
Racing Geek's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 168
Flipped Off 83 Times in 73 Posts
Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Scavenger Hunt 

Do you have to worry about a steel tank starting to rust under the the carbon wrap you did? If so, how would you fix it? Break the carbon fiber off the off?
Racing Geek is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-24-2010, 03:23 AM   #27
gsf1200R
ShamanFighter
gsf1200R's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 485
Flipped Off 802 Times in 365 Posts
gsf1200R sits atop olympusgsf1200R sits atop olympusgsf1200R sits atop olympusgsf1200R sits atop olympusgsf1200R sits atop olympusgsf1200R sits atop olympusgsf1200R sits atop olympusgsf1200R sits atop olympusgsf1200R sits atop olympusgsf1200R sits atop olympusgsf1200R sits atop olympus

hells yes, CF FTW

Goal: Promote streetfighters to the custom motorcycle scene in America.
Plan: Spread the word to motorcycle enthusiasts through our forum & blog.
gsf1200R is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-24-2010, 07:51 AM   #28
seamussam
Doctor
Senior Fighterer
seamussam's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:00 AM
Flip Offs: 1
Flipped Off 10 Times in 6 Posts
seamussam is a glorious beacon of lightseamussam is a glorious beacon of lightseamussam is a glorious beacon of lightseamussam is a glorious beacon of lightseamussam is a glorious beacon of lightseamussam is a glorious beacon of lightseamussam is a glorious beacon of lightseamussam is a glorious beacon of lightseamussam is a glorious beacon of lightseamussam is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing Geek View Post
Do you have to worry about a steel tank starting to rust under the the carbon wrap you did? If so, how would you fix it? Break the carbon fiber off the off?
Im definitely no expert, but could you make it so the carbon fiber is like a casing. so it could slip on and off over the tank?

my rickman tank is just an ugly box with a fiberglass case slipped over the top. i imagine you could always built your own inner tank and then throw a carbon fiber case over the top in the same way.

but like i said before, I have no experience with it.
seamussam is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-24-2010, 12:07 PM   #29
Knifemaker87
builder in training

CF Addict
Knifemaker87's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 2 Times in 2 Posts
Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!
Fighter of the Year Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwh998 View Post
well, with the low carbon steel i have the carbon content would be too low for heat treating by itself to have any benefit so some type of carbon is going to have to be introduced (case hardening).

i may end up building a propane forge, did you build or buy yours?
I see. I built my forge, but bought my burner. (two actually) i got a cheap one for $40 and then a nice one (that i have reverse engineered) for about $100. you can make them out of pipe fittings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEBSPEED View Post
Your pics are inspirational!

Are you going to trim down the ring of the gas cap, or is the carbon you used thin enough that it doesn't keep the cap from fitting?

If I did this, I would still wet sand/polish/clearcoat, just to really seal it up.
thanks! your work is quite the inspiration as well. spesifically the VFR build. makes me want a V4 so bad.

i wanted the carbon to conform to the lip of the gas cap area a bit better, but it resisted, and so i will have to trim it to fit. I am also going to sand down and clear-coat the tank. it will actually be getting some white, and then a green/blue pearl clearcoat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing Geek View Post
I made sure to prime the tank very well so as to seal it. if you were going to wrap the tank you would want to eliminate any rust, however since the resin is water-proof, i dont think that you would have to worry about moisture getting between it and the tank.

As for removing it.. your best bet would be to grind it off... it would be really hard to break it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamussam View Post
Im definitely no expert, but could you make it so the carbon fiber is like a casing. so it could slip on and off over the tank?

my rickman tank is just an ugly box with a fiberglass case slipped over the top. i imagine you could always built your own inner tank and then throw a carbon fiber case over the top in the same way.

but like i said before, I have no experience with it.
like you said, you have a dummy tank that fits over the actual gas tank, and yes, that is totally feasible in carbon fiber. you would just have to make sure that there was no draft on the part (like the knee areas on my tank) that would keep it from slipping off. I saw one build on here where a guy actually built magnest into the skin so that it would magnetically adhear to the steel tank. With a tank that has draft, you could slpit the cover down the middle to accomplish the same thing.

i also have more pictures!
the undertail is cured:

It came right off the waxed mold:

Weight comparison:
Steel 22 gauge

Carbon fiber 3 layers of carbon 3 of fiberglass

I still have some trimming and fitting to do

I also got started sanding the tank

more pictures soon!

thanks for reading guys!
~Chris

CBR 600 F2
http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=33094

"Instigator" Virago Build-off thread:
http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=75337

"Inistigator" discussion
Knifemaker87 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Knifemaker87!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-24-2010, 07:09 PM   #30
Shane Liberty
#114 CVMA/STTARS
CF Pimp
Shane Liberty's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:00 AM
Flip Offs: 89
Flipped Off 319 Times in 78 Posts
Shane Liberty is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Shane Liberty is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Shane Liberty is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Shane Liberty is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Shane Liberty is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Shane Liberty is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Shane Liberty is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Shane Liberty is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Shane Liberty is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Shane Liberty is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Shane Liberty is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

I guess the tank is good for the "Look" of carbon but adding a lot of resin actually makes the carbon fiber weaker. But I am sure your bike will come out looking nice.

Expert: CVMA #114
Expert: STTARS #114
Expert: WERA West #114

Current Build
'12 VMAX: http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=68385
Previous Builds:
'97 VFR: http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=36144
'92 FZR: http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=31968
Shane Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Paint and Bodywork