How to Wrap your Tank in Carbon fiber (and do small parts) - Page 9 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Paint and Bodywork

Paint and Bodywork Anything to do with fabricating bodywork, composites, prep and paint work goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > How to Wrap your Tank in Carbon fiber (and do small parts)

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-27-2011, 09:41 AM   #81
Knifemaker87
builder in training

CF Addict
Knifemaker87's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:22 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 2 Times in 2 Posts
Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!
Fighter of the Year Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: How to Wrap your Tank in Carbon fiber (and do small parts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by exuptoy View Post
Found a tutorial if anyone want to see the process. Hope you don't mind the thread jack Knifemaker?
YouTube - ‪How To Make Your Own Carbon Fiber (Fibre) Parts.‬‏
its just fine! thanks for the video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exuptoy View Post
Never having done it I can only assume that if you keep blocking down the resin with the recommended W&D paper and building up the layers of resin then after the final sanding down a clear coat over the top would make a difference.

Is this correct?
yes once you lay the carbon fiber up it will be pretty textured. now you have to black sand it smooth. i start with 120 grit to get the big bumps. then do most of the sanding with 320 before moving to 400 then 600 then it is ready for paint! you shouldnt have to put more resin on unless you feel lik eyou are really digging into the carbon fiber.

if that is the case, then brush antoher coat of resin on top and repeat. on my tank i layed up the carbon and then brushed on another layer of resin before doing the sanding...

CBR 600 F2
http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=33094

"Instigator" Virago Build-off thread:
http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=75337

"Inistigator" discussion
Knifemaker87 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-05-2011, 08:07 AM   #82
WebbyUK
Fighter
WebbyUK's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:22 PM
Flipped Off 10 Times in 1 Post
WebbyUK is really niceWebbyUK is really niceWebbyUK is really niceWebbyUK is really niceWebbyUK is really niceWebbyUK is really niceWebbyUK is really niceWebbyUK is really nice

Just out of interest, do you just tuck the edges under and the same for the parts around the filler cap. Do you resin the underside of the tank in a strip for the CF to stick to and then same around the filler cap hole? Just about to try this and want to make sure i get it right!
WebbyUK is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-05-2011, 01:14 PM   #83
northamerican
Fighterer
northamerican's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flipped Off 42 Times in 6 Posts
northamerican is really nicenorthamerican is really nicenorthamerican is really nicenorthamerican is really nicenorthamerican is really nicenorthamerican is really nicenorthamerican is really nicenorthamerican is really nice

can someone post a link or better yet PM me links to where and what CF material and sanding paper I should buy to do my tank, I have a few spare F2 tanks I wanna do one

live to mod..mod to live
northamerican is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived northamerican!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-05-2011, 08:06 PM   #84
northamerican
Fighterer
northamerican is really nicenorthamerican is really nicenorthamerican is really nicenorthamerican is really nicenorthamerican is really nicenorthamerican is really nicenorthamerican is really nicenorthamerican is really nice

bump

live to mod..mod to live
northamerican is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-12-2011, 07:01 PM   #85
Poopie
GOOROO of da POO POO

CF Pimp
Poopie's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 132
Flipped Off 91 Times in 61 Posts
Poopie is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Poopie is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Poopie is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Poopie is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Poopie is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Poopie is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Poopie is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Poopie is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Poopie is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Poopie is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Poopie is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

Quote:
Originally Posted by northamerican View Post
bump
I've been doing some research into as a stand alone structure...

If your just covering your tank, the thinner mil and less expensive stuff would do just fine. You're should be more concerned with esthetics, and those thinner fabrics lay down nice...

If you were to do stand alone composites you're touching on a different layering schedule, sometimes 4 or 5 layers of the heavier stuff over kevlar...

“When the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box”

EL RoY Build

EL RoY Discussion

Chickamauga Warhorse Build

Chickamauga Warhorse (discussion)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDogg007
If I fuck this up bear with me. I am on some serious pain meds for kidney stones and flying like a mofo here.
Poopie is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Poopie!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-12-2011, 10:14 PM   #86
northamerican
Fighterer

I would like to just cover an F2 tank like you did,

live to mod..mod to live
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-13-2012, 04:46 AM   #87
fallguy
#1 asshole
Fighter
fallguy's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:22 AM
Flip Offs: 8
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
fallguy is a glorious beacon of lightfallguy is a glorious beacon of lightfallguy is a glorious beacon of lightfallguy is a glorious beacon of lightfallguy is a glorious beacon of lightfallguy is a glorious beacon of lightfallguy is a glorious beacon of lightfallguy is a glorious beacon of lightfallguy is a glorious beacon of lightfallguy is a glorious beacon of lightfallguy is a glorious beacon of light

That tank is the its man.good job,and def something to consider!!!!!

I never ride faster than my guardian angel can fly,I thank god he's fast!!!!
fallguy is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-05-2012, 01:49 AM   #88
srad6/7.5
Fighterer
Local Time: 06:22 AM
Flipped Off 6 Times in 6 Posts
srad6/7.5 is a glorious beacon of lightsrad6/7.5 is a glorious beacon of lightsrad6/7.5 is a glorious beacon of lightsrad6/7.5 is a glorious beacon of lightsrad6/7.5 is a glorious beacon of lightsrad6/7.5 is a glorious beacon of lightsrad6/7.5 is a glorious beacon of lightsrad6/7.5 is a glorious beacon of lightsrad6/7.5 is a glorious beacon of light

That looks really nice well done Knifemaker The funny thing is I was just going to do a search for this same topic and I saw a posting with this subject.
Would it be possible to use the tank as a plug and make a real carbon tank?
My 2nd question would be how hard would it be to cover the frame with carbon? Initially i was going to paint it black but after seeing this I figure having the frame covered in carbon fiber would be much more original and it wouldn't be more expensive than having it powder coated.
srad6/7.5 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-11-2012, 12:05 AM   #89
kyle17428
Noobie
kyle17428's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:22 AM
Flipped Off 4 Times in 1 Post
kyle17428 is well likedkyle17428 is well likedkyle17428 is well likedkyle17428 is well likedkyle17428 is well likedkyle17428 is well liked

I used this as a tutorial and have made some small things, and recently I decided to do a tank myself. I ordered the carbon on ebay and the ad claimed that it was "airplane grade, kevlar carbon fiber" which I just learned is a mistake! its the real deal for sure, and extremely high quality, but its so thick and has a kevlar backing which makes it impossible to form around a tank. for flatter pieces (or a bullet-proof vest) it would be perfect, but with the complexity of a gastank it just dosent work. just an fyi for everyone else.
kyle17428 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived kyle17428!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-11-2012, 01:28 PM   #90
Knifemaker87
builder in training

CF Addict
Knifemaker87's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flipped Off 2 Times in 2 Posts
Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!
Fighter of the Year Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle17428 View Post
I used this as a tutorial and have made some small things, and recently I decided to do a tank myself. I ordered the carbon on ebay and the ad claimed that it was "airplane grade, kevlar carbon fiber" which I just learned is a mistake! its the real deal for sure, and extremely high quality, but its so thick and has a kevlar backing which makes it impossible to form around a tank. for flatter pieces (or a bullet-proof vest) it would be perfect, but with the complexity of a gastank it just dosent work. just an fyi for everyone else.
this might be good if you were doing a vacuum bagged full carbon fiber tank as the kevlar would keep the tank safer in the even of a crash.. however you are right.. not good stuff for an overlay.

also.. kevlar just gets fuzzy when you sand it. so it is a horrible choice if you plan on sanding it smooth after the fact.

thanks for the tip! and be sure to post up pictures of your masterpiece!
~Chris

CBR 600 F2
http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=33094

"Instigator" Virago Build-off thread:
http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=75337

"Inistigator" discussion
Knifemaker87 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Knifemaker87!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Paint and Bodywork