Fathead_03's 900rr Build - "Insidious" - Page 5 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > Past Streetfighter Buildoffs > 2011 Streetfighter Buildoff > 2011 Buildoff Entry Threads

2011 Buildoff Entry Threads All 2011 buildoff entry build threads must be posted in here!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Fathead_03's 900rr Build - "Insidious"

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-11-2011, 12:19 AM   #41
Fathead_03
Flashburnt
CF Pimp
Fathead_03's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:54 AM
Flip Offs: 145
Flipped Off 35 Times in 30 Posts
Fathead_03 has much to be proud ofFathead_03 has much to be proud ofFathead_03 has much to be proud ofFathead_03 has much to be proud ofFathead_03 has much to be proud ofFathead_03 has much to be proud ofFathead_03 has much to be proud ofFathead_03 has much to be proud ofFathead_03 has much to be proud ofFathead_03 has much to be proud ofFathead_03 has much to be proud of
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 
Default Re: Fatty's HighwayFighter 900rr

So after a full day of working on the other half of the front suspension on the Corvair(finished it btw, going back together tomorrow), I decided to attack the subframe some more.

It was all tacked, so I wanted to figure out the rear of it. I started by making a taillight mounting bracket. Knocked that out, put a cross bar in for strength and mounting, then used two curved pieces from the scrap bin as the bars to mount it. I was happy with that, so I continued to tack it. I then pulled it from the bike to get a little more welding done.

If you have never welded aluminum like me, especially aluminum tubing, MAKE A JIG! I am going to make one tomorrow out of 4 pieces of threaded rod. This thing wants to walk and move all over the damn place, its nuts. Luckily I caught it and did a makeshift jig with wood and clamps for the night.

One of the lower bars is a little longer then the other, and I haven't dealt with it as I don't know how I'm going to finish off the lower bars yet.

Today, for the first time, I finally saw the finished product in my head, and I'm liking it. I have my full tail planned out, angles and all, so that's exciting. I think I'm going to build a skeleton out of small bar and then skin in with fleece to start my mold.

Anyway, pictures!(see the longer bar, fuck off)

And my first Fatty Pose of the buildoff!

(Gonna need to do something about rearset placement eh?)

Tomorrow I slap the suspension back in the Corvair hoping it get it making love to the ground. Then hope to finish up the subframe this weekend, and onto that damn fuel cell!

Build Threads
2009 Winter Buildoff CBR Build Thread
After-Buildoff CBR Build Thread
CB750 Hardtail Bobber Build "Old's Cool"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denvgasm View Post
someone died ban everything
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbwstripes View Post
I like carbon peaking through the paint. It's like side boob.

Last edited by Fathead_03; 03-11-2011 at 12:26 AM.
Fathead_03 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-16-2011, 12:26 AM   #42
Fathead_03
Flashburnt
CF Pimp
Fathead_03 has much to be proud ofFathead_03 has much to be proud ofFathead_03 has much to be proud ofFathead_03 has much to be proud ofFathead_03 has much to be proud ofFathead_03 has much to be proud ofFathead_03 has much to be proud ofFathead_03 has much to be proud ofFathead_03 has much to be proud ofFathead_03 has much to be proud ofFathead_03 has much to be proud of

So I've been busy on the CorvAIR and doing some mechanic work, but I went and got a little time in today. I got the subframe fully welded. I am also curious, do you think a brace from the upper to the lower is necessary? I mean it doesn't move much, but it has a little flex. I'm afraid a vertical brace would ugly-fy it, and I don't want that as you will see the lower portion of the subframe. See any other ways to get a brace in there that will help and not be ugly(I haven't even looked much, I just thought of that)? Still haven't figured out what the hell to do with the rear bars. I may make an upside down U shape to hold the exhaust pipe. Might finish it off and look ok. So I had this idea to make the exhaust pipe exit right under the taillight(with proper heat protection of course) and I narrowed it down to two shapes. 1 is a rounded bottom that will flow nicely with the bottom of the bike, bottom rear of the fairing, etc. 2 is the same upper shape, but with straight sides.

Which one do you prefer?

And here I have a threaded rod through my upper subframe mount which is where the upper shock mount will be. Its high, but it works. I can already tell this bike will be more appealing from the right side than the left. Oh well.

So let me know which exhaust tip you like better eh?

Build Threads
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Fathead_03; 03-16-2011 at 12:31 AM.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-16-2011, 10:14 PM   #43
Fathead_03
Flashburnt
CF Pimp

Another stumper. Exhaust. Not the tip like yesterday, but the piping. Its 2.25" exhaust piping. I can't find any nice bends in that size, so I pretty much have to start with straight piping and do angled cuts, because exhaust shops bends are shitty. So this is what I have. I think it'll flow decent, look ok, but something about it isn't working for me. The bend coming right off the turbo is tight. I would try to center the bend around the point in the subframe, but I haven't cut the hole in the flange where the wastegate will feed into the pipe, and if I did center it, it would stick WAY back and be ugly. Also, the top of the pipe, as it sits now could exit out the tail of the bike, say out a large badass tip flushed with the bottom of the undertail. Or I could run it up under the brake light like I had planned, only I'll need to add a few more bends to have it exit at the right level because of the bar my taillights mounted on. Lastly, I thought about possibly running it up the left side and doing a large slashcut tip out the side of the fairing or something. Not totally sure. Let me know what you guys think, cause I'm stumped.
(Sorry for all the different pictures of the same thing and questions, but I want you guys to get a good look at shit)

Side exit.

Build Threads
Quote:
Quote:

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-22-2011, 11:07 PM   #44
Fathead_03
Flashburnt
CF Pimp

No progress. Been super busy at work. Gonna put in some time later this week. My painter buddy happens to be spraying the color I want, so I will be getting the lips of my wheels painted tomorrow.

Build Threads
Quote:
Quote:
These people High Fived Fathead_03!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-23-2011, 04:01 PM   #45
Fathead_03
Flashburnt
CF Pimp

Meant to take pics, but I suck. I got the rear wheel all sanded down ready for paint. Also took the front wheel, cleaned it, stripped it, ground off every casting, like the Buell logo, message about tubeless tires, wheel size, etc. There is nothing left on the wheel. Totally smooth. He will be spraying the lips today, then the centers in a few days. Woo.

Hope to do some work on the bike soon. Maybe tomorrow if I'm lucky.

Build Threads
Quote:
Quote:
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-01-2011, 01:04 AM   #46
Fathead_03
Flashburnt
CF Pimp

Haven't done much lately. I've been swamped with work. It pays for parts. Hoping to get some decent work done this weekend. I did get these back today.

Wish my camera was better. Its a satin metallic black, with gloss pearl white lips.

Also picked up another 900rr which will be my spare motor bike

Build Threads
Quote:
Quote:
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-12-2011, 04:02 PM   #47
Fathead_03
Flashburnt
CF Pimp
Default Re: Fathead_03's 900rr Build - "Insidious"

I haven't given up, just had alot going on. Works been busy as hell, waiting on parts, weathers nice, picking up other bikes, etc. I did rename the bike, as the fuel capacity was cut down a little, and I found the perfect name.

I present to you, my 900rr, "Insidious".

in·sid·i·ous
–adjective
1. intended to entrap or beguile: an insidious plan.
2. stealthily treacherous or deceitful: an insidious enemy.
3. operating or proceeding in an inconspicuous or seemingly harmless way but actually with grave effect: an insidious disease.

Build Threads
Quote:
Quote:

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > Past Streetfighter Buildoffs > 2011 Streetfighter Buildoff > 2011 Buildoff Entry Threads