mantisz's 94 Kawasaki Concours "Disciple" - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > Past Streetfighter Buildoffs > 2011 Streetfighter Buildoff > 2011 Buildoff Entry Threads

2011 Buildoff Entry Threads All 2011 buildoff entry build threads must be posted in here!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > mantisz's 94 Kawasaki Concours "Disciple"

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-04-2010, 03:28 PM   #1
mantisz
Fighter
Local Time: 02:06 PM
Flip Offs: 1
Flipped Off 4 Times in 2 Posts
mantisz is making some friendsmantisz is making some friendsmantisz is making some friends
Default mantisz's 94 Kawasaki Concours "Disciple"

Well, here's my entry. It's a 94 Concours with a pretty extensive history. I picked it up pretty cheap because it's wrecked. I have a basic idea of where I want to end up with the project, but I'm not too sure how to get there. First steps will be to get it running. The current oil pan is cracked and won't hold oil, and the right side is ground up pretty bad. The rider that crashed it broke his orbitals, skull, and 2 top vertebrae. It was pretty bad. He got a 45min. heli ride to the trauma center @ AGH in downtown Pittsburgh. He purchased this bike off of a friend of mine who gave away everything he owned and rode to Alaska to live for a few years. The bike has been crashed about 4 times that I know of, but the last was a doozy. I'll get the date pictures up after work.

As far as the name goes, I introduced myself as a Harley convert. This bike will be my new path, hence it's a Disciple.
mantisz is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-07-2010, 07:47 PM   #2
mantisz
Fighter
mantisz is making some friendsmantisz is making some friendsmantisz is making some friends
Default Re: mantisz's 94 Kawasaki Concours "Disciple"

Well I just opened the box of parts I received yesterday only to find that the oil pan I purchased is cracked and unusable. Bummer man. Can't get started on the serious wrenching until I get a usable pan. And a new heater for the garage, it's something like 14 deg. here now. The gasket sealer definitely won't work too well. Hopefully it will warm up enough that the garage door will thaw and I can at least get it open to take a newspaper picture. Such is life in the Ohio Valley. Go Penguins.

I've also decided to stick with the 1 piece seat, and I'll either build or fabricate to match a ladder rack style subframe similar to the Ducati Hypermotard's and hopefully be able to use a hypermotard seat. I like the look, and really dig the dual undertail pipes. Lemme know what you think.
This user High Fived mantisz!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-10-2010, 09:56 AM   #3
mantisz
Fighter

As promised, the newspaper pictures. The margaritas made the cold a little more tolerable.

And I couldn't resist taking something off, so the fairing and luggage racks came off, never to be reattached again. It was so cold, I cut all of the wire ties on the harness with needlenose pliers. Just a little pinch and they snapped like pretzels.

Sorry for the poor pictures, the lighting isn't great in the garage.
These people High Fived mantisz!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-15-2010, 04:48 PM   #4
mantisz
Fighter

Quick update, more parts have arrived, new pan on its way, front fairing and headlight mounts coming from Italy, and trying to find a way to not spend $150 on a foot rest and bracket. The peg alone went for $126 on ebay. Oh, and it's too cold here to work on the bike. I can't keep my house warm let alone the drafty garage. Bike work is officially on hold until the temp rises above 30deg. I put a case of beer on my porch for an hour to get cold, and my hand froze to the bottle when I grabbed one. Now that's cold.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-09-2011, 04:54 PM   #5
mantisz
Fighter

New pan is in, slave cylinder, levers, and throttle cable are in too. No trace of the fairing yet. I did find an original service manual, the original owner dropped it off at my hosue over the holidays. Fuckin wheels, man! Current temp is 24 deg. No work updates, need to get a torpedo heater and some time off to tear into the bike.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-30-2011, 12:11 AM   #6
mantisz
Fighter

Well the overseas fairing ordeal fell through, finally got refunded and stumbled across a gem on ebay that I just couldn't pass up. Should be here in a week or so, I'll definatley post some pictures of it when it arrives. Funny thing is, this fairing just might have changed the entire direction of the bike build. I'm thinkin retro now, may end up keeping the oversized square tail. Not sure, will need some assistance, probably in the form of a poll, when I get the fairing installed. I have a 4 foot stack of boxes, all parts, just ready and waiting to be utilized. Good news is, I have most of the parts I need, except the drivers pegs. Can't find those fucks anywhere. Bad news is, I quit my job so the parts purchasing will be slowing considerably. Good news? I'll have considerably more free time to work on the bike. Fuckin wheels, man. Oh, and Go Steelers. And hurry the fuck up spring, it's too cold to work in an unheated garage. And I'm gettin jittery to start wrenching.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-30-2011, 09:55 AM   #7
mantisz
Fighter

So here's the headlight and fairing assembly, I'll post up the pictures of it being installed when it gets here. Rep to the first to guess the year, make, and model of this complete gem I found. Post answers in the discussion thread.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-09-2011, 05:24 AM   #8
mantisz
Fighter

Couple days ago I was scanning eBay and haphazardly threw a bid on a 2005 r1 tail. Got the email that I won it. For $.99. Right the fuck on. Now I need to make seats. Headlights and fairing arrived today, needs some touch up work but it'll do, and it has those dreaded DOT markings I need to pass inspection. My parts list is almost complete, need front pegs and brackets (may be fabricating these), seats, and some weather above freezing. Fuck. It's 4 deg right now. Come on, I be getting antsy for some results.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-16-2011, 09:33 AM   #9
mantisz
Fighter

Word on the street is 60 deg on Friday. Expect a massive influx of work and updates on the build. If all goes well, I'll have 1000 miles on her before April fools.

Build thread
http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=39997

Discussin' thread
http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=39998

"In God I trust, everyone else, keep your hands where I can see them."
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-19-2011, 12:53 AM   #10
mantisz
Fighter

So, finally, the weather has cooperated enough to get an update. So here it is. I had a couple small projects to complete before I could dig into the bike, first and foremost being that I needed to move my tools to the garage where my bike is.

Done

Next, get all of the parts I've been stockpiling from my basement, to the garage.

Done

After organizing the garage to get enough work space, I finally had an hour to turn a wrench. And I took off as much shit as I could.

So with the tail disassembeled, I just had to try something. My curiosity got the best of me.

This is a 2005 R1 tail that I won on Ebay for 99 cents, plus shipping. So $13 total on this piece. Once I get some seats, I think I'd like to try and make it work. Not sure about the angle yet, but it's just a quick prop-up mock-up.

Oh, and I think I found out why the previous owner took such a nasty spill.

This was not a burn out tire. This was a ride around the highways tire.

I do have to say that I've found a few things that really concern me, mainly that half of the bolts on the bike are either backing out on their own, or just plain old loose. I can take the seat subframe and wiggle it about 3/8 of an inch ( Oi!, .9525cm for you British blokes), which can't be good. It's been a long winter, but I've finally started. It's supposed to get cold and start snowing again, so it may be another week or so until I can update again, but I'll get to it. Next up on the list is to remove the exhaust, coolant system, and swap out the oil pan. Once I get that done, I'll do a complete fluids change and get this biotch runnin. The front right brake caliper is locked up, so that's on the to do list too. Can't even push the fooker around the garage.

Build thread
http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=39997

Discussin' thread
http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=39998

"In God I trust, everyone else, keep your hands where I can see them."

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > Past Streetfighter Buildoffs > 2011 Streetfighter Buildoff > 2011 Buildoff Entry Threads