One80Auto's CB750K8 - Page 2 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > Past Streetfighter Buildoffs > 2011 Streetfighter Buildoff > 2011 Buildoff Entry Threads

2011 Buildoff Entry Threads All 2011 buildoff entry build threads must be posted in here!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > One80Auto's CB750K8

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-02-2011, 11:22 PM   #11
One80Auto
DUSTOFF
Fighterer
One80Auto's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:08 PM
Flip Offs: 1
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
One80Auto is a glorious beacon of lightOne80Auto is a glorious beacon of lightOne80Auto is a glorious beacon of lightOne80Auto is a glorious beacon of lightOne80Auto is a glorious beacon of lightOne80Auto is a glorious beacon of lightOne80Auto is a glorious beacon of lightOne80Auto is a glorious beacon of lightOne80Auto is a glorious beacon of lightOne80Auto is a glorious beacon of lightOne80Auto is a glorious beacon of light
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 
Default Re: One80Auto's CB750K8

Here is a pic (kid of hard to see) of the collapsed tubing I mentioned above. Not too bad but needs to be taken care of.

This is where I'd like to go with the gauges. They will be the 2 1/16" Revolution series tachometer and speedometer that Flint introduced in his Testbed build....you can find them here - http://www.speedhut.com/custom_gauge...number-762.htm. They are not plug and play but workable.

Got the Zx-10R front claipers and rotors drawn up well enough for my purposes. Also copied the front wheel to the back and made it accruate in size for what I want to run, just for a quick motivator. Right now it will be a 120/70 18 up front with a 180/55 17 in the back on the Ducati rim. Continue to be happy with the direction it is taking.
One80Auto is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived One80Auto!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-03-2011, 11:07 PM   #12
One80Auto
DUSTOFF
Fighterer
One80Auto is a glorious beacon of lightOne80Auto is a glorious beacon of lightOne80Auto is a glorious beacon of lightOne80Auto is a glorious beacon of lightOne80Auto is a glorious beacon of lightOne80Auto is a glorious beacon of lightOne80Auto is a glorious beacon of lightOne80Auto is a glorious beacon of lightOne80Auto is a glorious beacon of lightOne80Auto is a glorious beacon of lightOne80Auto is a glorious beacon of light

UPS showed up today with a perfect Ducati Sport Classic Wheel. I keep running gauges on it..... measuring it anyway I can think of because I got it and the sprocket/cush drive for $100. This might be one of those times where I won out on eBay. It even came from a reputable seller. Hell, it came with foam on the lips wrapped in an actual wheel box. I am pretty excited. The cush drive is cool the way it is split up between the six dowels, have they done something similar on other bikes?

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-10-2011, 07:53 PM   #13
One80Auto
DUSTOFF
Fighterer

On a bummer note: the trade stuff I was bartering with Flint for some triples was not what it appeared and is basically junk. No fault of mine or his but the custom triples will have to wait for future finances. He is being very cool about it and still swapping some stems for me. As he has shown in the past he is a great dude and an asset to this community.

On a better note: I got a 07 Daytona 675 swingarm for almost free so I threw it near the frame to have a look see. For me the modern swingarms need to take some cues from the tank or vise versa and based on these rough pics this one might work. Bringing the cutout from the swingarm up in to a matching depression in the tank might be cool. The pivot will have to be narrowed just a little but the material is there with the stock bearings. The cardboard box is just up there for a background.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-13-2011, 06:11 PM   #14
One80Auto
DUSTOFF
Fighterer

Spent a few hours with the cutoff wheel and grinder today. Left some off the stubs on the back end because I think that is all coming off for a mono-shock and different subframe. Would post a pic of the frame but you can't really tell because I put primer on the cleaned areas to protect it. Started looking at building a sand blaster, we'll see. Got to pickup a bearing puller to get the swingarm bearings out so I can get in narrowed.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-29-2011, 04:39 PM   #15
One80Auto
DUSTOFF
Fighterer

Not much progress for the last couple of weeks. The Baby shows up pretty soon, so most of the free time and finances are going into preparation for that right now. I did manage to sneak away in the garage today to take advantage of the sunny and 65 degree weather. I threw some spare paint I had laying around onto the frame and tank to give them a uniform look. Nothing special, it was just everytime I looked at the bike it was impossible to see past the multiple layers of colors and rust. The colors are just what I had, not an indication of what I will use in the end. I managed to wrestle the engine into the frame and built a more stable and height appropriate stand to hold the whole mess on the table. Very loosely placed the swingarm, rear wheel and a spoked front wheel for the fun of it. The stock front rim in the pictures below is a 19", I will be using a 18" so it looks a little big in the pics. I mainly wanted to see the tank and swingarm in place. I am pretty sure that I will be going with a different tank that is a little less "square" back-to-front. It was being replaced anyway because it is unusable due to corrosion. Right now an early 80's CB750/900C tank or a late model CB750 tank have the look I want and a decent chance of fitting without much pain. The current subframe will come off and the new one's support tubes will be higher and more angled to match up with the angle of the front portion of the triumph swingarm. The actual seat portion will remain fairly flat to keep a little of the CB750 stance with maybe a slight angle. Until I draw it up I won't be sure but that movement should make it easier to locate the top mount of the shock. Anyways here are some pics:

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-07-2011, 10:01 PM   #16
One80Auto
DUSTOFF
Fighterer

Still working on this thing here and there. Got the Triumph swingarm roughly drawn up and stuck on there and started tinkering with the subframe. THis version has a slight angle and the support tubes are located just prior to some inboard bends and I tried to match the angle with the front edge of the swingarm. They will also work out for a top shock mount. Not sold on it, just bouncing ideas around.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-27-2011, 10:54 PM   #17
One80Auto
DUSTOFF
Fighterer

Okay, so I haven't posted on this in a while, but having a kid seems to suck away all your energy and freetime...who knew? I walk by this thing everyday going to and from work so I do look at it and brainstorm. Today, in between hail storms, I got some drawing and work done. I really like the stock tank of the '77-78 CB750, so I wanted to keep it. Found a replacement cheap but it doesn't match up with the proposed Triumph swingarm and I really wanted to stay dual-shocked for some reason. In comes a CBR 1100XX arm and I mocked the stock shocks on there to see how it looks. I like the more square tank and flat bottom matched up with the "boxy" swingarm with a few more inches of wheelbase. I am more sure this is the direction I will go.

Got this from, chg380....great guy to deal with.

And finally start putting this together. It is a hot-wire foam cutter. I am hoping to make the tail out of fiberglass/carbon and this is the best way I know to get a symmetrical part from a pattern. Use to use templates and a foam cutter to crank out composite aircraft parts years ago so I am sticking with what I know. It is rough right now but once I get it finished and working right I will clean it up and scribble up a wirte up if there is interest.

I will be concetrating on the swingarm swap for now while I wait for parts for the frontend. That basically means finding a decent local machinist or figure out a good way to narrow the swingarm pivot about 1/4" without a mill.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-09-2011, 09:26 PM   #18
One80Auto
DUSTOFF
Fighterer

Sooooo.....I continue to "fine tune" my swingarm ideas. The CBR swingarm was going to be iffy when it came time to get it narrowed. The machining would have probably ended up in the stock welds of the pivot tube. While I was trying decide if it would work or not I tripped on a picture of a '05-08 ZZR swingarm which were also on the '03-04 ZX-6R. I did some quick digging on measurements and it had potential and a little better look to it. Found one for $8 and got to play with it today. Also found some '94 CB1000 piggyback shocks as well. I was drooling over the fully adjustable ZRX 1100/1200 items that are all the rage these days but the current going rate is about $325-400 on eBay. At that price I will step up to something aftermarket (Ohlins) down the road. At a fifth of the price I can use the CB1000 shocks that are almost identical in length to get the bike built. So armed with some new parts I jumped on some rare tinker time today. It turned out to be one of those rare lucky days in the shop as far as fitment goes. The pivot width almost fits perfect and I will fine tune it as necessary when I adjust the frame to accept the larger ZX-6R pivot bolt. So after being much happier with that situation I moved onto mocking it all together and got lucky again when the ZX-6R axle turned out be the EXACT diameter needed for the Ducati wheel.....I am still in denial about that one. Then I decided to push the luck a little further and grabbed my ZX-10R rear caliper to see how it would compare to the ZX-6R caliper mount that came with the swingarm. Well it wasn't as much of a stretch since they are both off of Kawasaki bikes but I was still surprised to see the holes match up perfectly! Next I am going to go buy some lottery tickets. Here are some pictures for proof.

Other than the measurement advantages I am much happier with slimmer look to show off the spoked wheels and it is about 1 inch longer too. I did identify some issues though. The shocks will need to be brought forward a bit to clear the rear caliper but I'll tackle that after I get the swingarm and wheel centered up. Shock location will be taken care of with the new subframe. Using a laser I took a quick look at chain alignment and I don't think it is too bad. An offset sprocket should do the trick but I'll have to pay attention to chain clearance with the left side shock.

Lastly, I finally drew up the stock tank. To start getting ideas for the tail I just duplicated the tank, shrunk it, and slapped on the back of the bike. The design will get some tweaking obviously, but I like it.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-06-2011, 03:14 AM   #19
One80Auto
DUSTOFF
Fighterer

Finally got the title stuff figured out with the DMV. So now that the paperwork is out of the way it is time to get going again on this sucker.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-16-2011, 01:00 AM   #20
One80Auto
DUSTOFF
Fighterer

Alright it is slow but little things continue to get done. Finished my hot wire foam cutter tonight and could only find a little piddely piece of foam to test it on but it worked great.

Been drawing on the bike a little as well. Cleaned up the tail pretty good so I can use the program to print out templates to stick on some foam blocks to cut out a plug. Also sized and shifted the shocks into the proper location. They had to come forward a bit to make room for the eventual rear brake caliper location...and redid the swinger to match the ZZR specs which weren't too far off the 1100xx unit that was drawn up. Very generic seat drawn in there for visualization.

Got this beauty from Jiggy a couple of weeks back as well.

Obviously not going to be done for this buildoff but with the kid showing up back in February I was not really even considering it. Next is a serious look at getting the swing arm pivot sorted and building a tubing bender for the subframe construction.

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > Past Streetfighter Buildoffs > 2011 Streetfighter Buildoff > 2011 Buildoff Entry Threads