Plastic Fix 101 - Page 2 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Paint and Bodywork

Paint and Bodywork Anything to do with fabricating bodywork, composites, prep and paint work goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Plastic Fix 101

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-30-2007, 06:07 PM   #11
CRF3
hack
Senior Fighterer
CRF3's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:08 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 12 Times in 12 Posts
CRF3 is making some friendsCRF3 is making some friendsCRF3 is making some friendsCRF3 is making some friends
Default Re: Plastic Fix 101

or you can also buy the plastics off other members with the same bike for cheap.... (jesse, I have that other tail fairing in good shape if you need it)

It is not the critic who counts..... -T. Roosevelt
CRF3 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-01-2007, 08:32 PM   #12
jesseunvoas
Ebay PosterChild
CF Lover
jesseunvoas's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:08 AM
Flipped Off 20 Times in 10 Posts
jesseunvoas is making some friendsjesseunvoas is making some friendsjesseunvoas is making some friendsjesseunvoas is making some friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRF3
or you can also buy the plastics off other members with the same bike for cheap.... (jesse, I have that other tail fairing in good shape if you need it)

why would i need to buy it i just fixed mine
jesseunvoas is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-04-2007, 02:12 AM   #13
zmikel
Noobie
Local Time: 03:08 AM
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
zmikel is a NOOB

Damn, that' tight. I could have done that with my ex500 fairing...but then I suppose I wouldn't have a 'fighter.

And anyways, I didn't want to go searching through the underbrush for little pieces of plastic.
zmikel is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-08-2007, 01:40 AM   #14
INVINCIBLE73
Life's Short, Stunt it!
Senior Fighterer
INVINCIBLE73's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:08 AM
Flip Offs: 6
Flipped Off 4 Times in 3 Posts
INVINCIBLE73 is making some friendsINVINCIBLE73 is making some friendsINVINCIBLE73 is making some friendsINVINCIBLE73 is making some friendsINVINCIBLE73 is making some friends

this give me a new way to make an undertail for my tail section!! thanks.
INVINCIBLE73 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-21-2007, 05:13 AM   #15
zx636skiv
Fighterer
zx636skiv's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:08 AM
zx636skiv is making some friendszx636skiv is making some friendszx636skiv is making some friendszx636skiv is making some friendszx636skiv is making some friends

I got this. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=41592

I have only used it once, and pretty much suck with it. Guess I need practice. I actually have a set of EX500 plastic I have to rebuild. I have to make up some pieces and then weld them and the larger cracks up. I then plan to fiber glass the bigger holes, and use spot putty the fill the smallers ones.

I have actually used a soldering gun to fix small cracks in the past. Works better if you use an extra piece of bodywork to lay over it, then you can melt it all the way around.

Looked like your job came out great! I need a paint booth like that, with racks and stuff!! Hell, I wish I could just keep the bugs out of my paint jobs!!

...C-Ya...Skiv...
'00 ZX6fightR & '99 Marauder project

My ever ongoing 6R Fighter Project
zx636skiv is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-22-2007, 07:49 PM   #16
tundrafiend01
Senior Fighterer
tundrafiend01's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 5
Flipped Off 13 Times in 7 Posts
tundrafiend01 is a glorious beacon of lighttundrafiend01 is a glorious beacon of lighttundrafiend01 is a glorious beacon of lighttundrafiend01 is a glorious beacon of lighttundrafiend01 is a glorious beacon of lighttundrafiend01 is a glorious beacon of lighttundrafiend01 is a glorious beacon of lighttundrafiend01 is a glorious beacon of lighttundrafiend01 is a glorious beacon of lighttundrafiend01 is a glorious beacon of lighttundrafiend01 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx636skiv
I got this. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=41592

I have only used it once, and pretty much suck with it. Guess I need practice. I actually have a set of EX500 plastic I have to rebuild. I have to make up some pieces and then weld them and the larger cracks up. I then plan to fiber glass the bigger holes, and use spot putty the fill the smallers ones.

I have actually used a soldering gun to fix small cracks in the past. Works better if you use an extra piece of bodywork to lay over it, then you can melt it all the way around.

Looked like your job came out great! I need a paint booth like that, with racks and stuff!! Hell, I wish I could just keep the bugs out of my paint jobs!!
This is the plastic welder I use: Ebay Link. It's a pretty decent kit as a whole and even comes with a How-to dvd. Similar to welding metal, if you take your time and practice on scrap plastic similar to what you need to repair (ABS), you can make some excellent repairs. Also, here is a little "How-To" on plastic welding: CycleForums Linky.
tundrafiend01 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-24-2007, 02:14 PM   #17
jesseunvoas
Ebay PosterChild
CF Lover
jesseunvoas's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:08 AM
Flipped Off 20 Times in 10 Posts
jesseunvoas is making some friendsjesseunvoas is making some friendsjesseunvoas is making some friendsjesseunvoas is making some friends

ppl who gets those expensive kits are retarded get a soldering iron not the trigger gun the pencil style and get some abs core rods or as i use plastic milk jugs......some shit different pile
jesseunvoas is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-19-2008, 06:17 PM   #18
stevedave
GURU
CF Lover
stevedave's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 1
Flipped Off 4 Times in 4 Posts
stevedave is a glorious beacon of lightstevedave is a glorious beacon of lightstevedave is a glorious beacon of lightstevedave is a glorious beacon of lightstevedave is a glorious beacon of lightstevedave is a glorious beacon of lightstevedave is a glorious beacon of lightstevedave is a glorious beacon of lightstevedave is a glorious beacon of lightstevedave is a glorious beacon of lightstevedave is a glorious beacon of light

Holy shit! I just found this thread. Thanks a bunch guys this is gonna save me a ton!!!

Where can I find some abs core rods to fill the cracks with? Also, could someone eleborate on how th smooth the surface down properly after it hardens? Thanks!!!!!!!
stevedave is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-19-2008, 09:24 PM   #19
Sword

CF Lover
Sword is really niceSword is really niceSword is really niceSword is really niceSword is really niceSword is really niceSword is really nice

The plasti welders i've used are fairly decent. have gotten good results. the plastic repair kits for 30 or 50 bucks blow chunks.
Sword is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Paint and Bodywork