XS850 Triple Cafe Project - Page 4 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Beginner Streetfighter Questions

Beginner Streetfighter Questions This is the place to ask all beginner questions with no fear of being flamed. This section will be HEAVILY MODERATED! Any fighter related question is allowed, no matter how simple!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > XS850 Triple Cafe Project

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-17-2011, 12:31 PM   #31
cruuz
Triple nutter
CF Lover
cruuz's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:53 AM
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 6 Times in 4 Posts
cruuz is a name known to allcruuz is a name known to allcruuz is a name known to allcruuz is a name known to allcruuz is a name known to allcruuz is a name known to allcruuz is a name known to allcruuz is a name known to allcruuz is a name known to allcruuz is a name known to allcruuz is a name known to all
Default Re: XS850 Triple Cafe Project

I dunno guys, but I run completely unbaffled straight pipes that are pretty short and I run damn good. The piping I used was even one size up, I think it's 1 5/8" up from the stock 1 1/2", but I used full length header wrap so I'm sure my in-pipe egt's are higher. I really feel like the timing and carbs are the culprit. Messing with the exhaust first might just disguise the problem and cause a false solution.

Know your MEDIA and know your TOOLS, the rest is IMAGINATION
"No.9" - Old-School Fighter chaindrive converted xs750 build >http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=47183

"People tend to make magic with whatever they have availible to them at the time."
Anthony Bourdain
cruuz is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-17-2011, 01:20 PM   #32
BlackBII
ARNOLD!
Senior Fighterer
Local Time: 08:53 AM
Flip Offs: 2
Flipped Off 2 Times in 2 Posts
BlackBII is a glorious beacon of lightBlackBII is a glorious beacon of lightBlackBII is a glorious beacon of lightBlackBII is a glorious beacon of lightBlackBII is a glorious beacon of lightBlackBII is a glorious beacon of lightBlackBII is a glorious beacon of lightBlackBII is a glorious beacon of lightBlackBII is a glorious beacon of light

I agree, the carbs are the more likely culprit, as I too have had completely straight piped bikes that ran great. I was just trying to explain the exhaust side of things.

Did you check the timing?

xs850 build thread CLICKY

cbr600 build thread CLICKY
BlackBII is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-17-2011, 01:28 PM   #33
n8isarockstar
Fighter
n8isarockstar's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
n8isarockstar is a NOOB

Not yet..mostly because I don't know how
n8isarockstar is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-17-2011, 02:15 PM   #34
cruuz
Triple nutter
CF Lover
cruuz is a name known to allcruuz is a name known to allcruuz is a name known to allcruuz is a name known to allcruuz is a name known to allcruuz is a name known to allcruuz is a name known to allcruuz is a name known to allcruuz is a name known to allcruuz is a name known to allcruuz is a name known to all

Use that book sillyhead

"No.9" - Old-School Fighter chaindrive converted xs750 build >http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=47183

"People tend to make magic with whatever they have availible to them at the time."
Anthony Bourdain
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-17-2011, 09:54 PM   #35
n8isarockstar
Fighter
n8isarockstar is a NOOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBII View Post
I think the 1100 tank would look enormous on the 850, but I'm sure you could make it work. If I remember right, it was both wider and longer than the 850 tank, so you may need to modify your mounting points.

Enormous good or enormous bad seriously though...I can't find a decent tank for a decent price to save my life.

Im gonna pick up a timing light tomorrow...I did read about it in the book...but it makes me nervous.
n8isarockstar is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-18-2011, 12:27 PM   #36
n8isarockstar
Fighter
n8isarockstar is a NOOB

ok, soooooo...took off the cover, hooked up timing light...figured out which way we need to adjust...BUTTTTT...the screws are not there like they are in the service manual. instead..we have these rivets (or what my friend thinks are tiny itty bitty little hex heads) that i cant unscrew or adjust. the service manual shows those three spots as big slotted screws that you just unscrew..this is much much much different
HELP
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-18-2011, 07:08 PM   #37
n8isarockstar
Fighter
n8isarockstar is a NOOB

NEW FORKS!!!!
Had some trouble with the bearings..have to probably pull it all back apart and try to get the steer tube threaded down about a quarter of an inch further. basically have a spacer in there for now. also need to drill the top of the triple tree to fit the risers for the drag bar( went with a drag bar instead of clip ons...we will see..might regret it later.

Old forks, rotors, calipers, wheel, tire, triple tree (2) fender, light bracket, handle bars..and more soon to be up on that auction site!!

Still long way to go...

still having trouble with the timing..if anyone has an answer on how to loosen those "rivets" then i'd really like to hear it.

need to figure out if im going to keep certain things or upgrad..ie: hydro clutch. I am starting to really hate the cable.

took the exhaust off...they are pretty much the biggest hunks of junk and were basically rusted on. think it's a good idea im planning to upgrade

anyone know if i switch the levers and controls on the handlebars, if i have to make sure it all links up somehow? or if it all should fit everything...aka..brake lines and blinkers/lights
This user High Fived n8isarockstar!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-18-2011, 08:46 PM   #38
cruuz
Triple nutter
CF Lover

try grabbing the heads of the 'screws' with a pair of vise grips, but make sure you use a pair with good jaws that aren't beat up

Anthony Bourdain
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-18-2011, 09:28 PM   #39
n8isarockstar
Fighter
n8isarockstar is a NOOB

I think that's vise grips wont fit in there...these things are so small...I tried to fit a 4mm socket on the heads and it was too big
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-18-2011, 11:06 PM   #40
n8isarockstar
Fighter
n8isarockstar is a NOOB

This is a picture of us trying to unscrew the unscrewable with vice grips.
Not happening. had to break out the rust clad babys that i never ever use.

Anyone need an ignition for an early CBR600?

This is where I am stopping tonight.

Anddddd..this is Walter; one of the guys who helped me today...hes had enough for all of us. haha
Scott prefered to remain off camera
This user High Fived n8isarockstar!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Beginner Streetfighter Questions