one off custom - Page 2 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Streetfighter pics > Photoshop Fighters

Photoshop Fighters Need someone to Photoshop your bike to see what it could look like? Made a sweet photochop yourself? All Photoshop related stuff goes in here!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > one off custom

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-09-2013, 04:48 AM   #11
JohnBridgeDesign
Fighter
Local Time: 04:25 PM
Flip Offs: 1
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
JohnBridgeDesign is a name known to allJohnBridgeDesign is a name known to allJohnBridgeDesign is a name known to allJohnBridgeDesign is a name known to allJohnBridgeDesign is a name known to allJohnBridgeDesign is a name known to allJohnBridgeDesign is a name known to allJohnBridgeDesign is a name known to allJohnBridgeDesign is a name known to allJohnBridgeDesign is a name known to allJohnBridgeDesign is a name known to all
Default Re: one off custom

Spacecataz i worked at Aston martin as an engineer a few years back, moved to Recaro (racing seat manufacturer) as a designer, then onto Altanata Motors as lead designer for the Electric Landspeed record car and im now working at an automotive design consultancy and do my own freelance work when i have time or if the project is really cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebwiers View Post
Looks like it breaks pretty much every rule of stiffness-oriented chassis design... which is kinda cool. I'm simultaniously appalled (by the slap in the face to rational design) and fascinated (by the same).

Is there a brace under the seat connecting the two ends of the tube? Seems like you'd need one, since otherwise the bike is a giant spring loop with the chain bridging the gap. Gonna be hard enough making it stiff without taking the challenge to such absurd levels.

Those bolts on the frame-tank-frame junction kinda scare me. Talk about your jesus nut- but I guess that's what safety wire is for. Just make damn sure the threads are rated for the strain...

For the tighter bends, machining might be better than bending. Just hog em out of a big block of steel on a 5 axis cnc, then weld em in. I suspect those parts are gonna need to have such thick walls that bending would not be practical anyhow.

Its possible that making the whole thing from carbon fiber would actually the the cheaper option. Could just form the pipes and tank around foam cores, with variable thickness walls (and a constant OD) as needed. Might actually be the only way to do it at reasonable wieght.

I also fear for speed wobbles, since there seems so little can be done to prevent the head from twisting.
There will/ would have to be a brace yes and the rear of the frame still needs to be modifed so suit a single side wheel fixing (this is still early stages of the design so take it with a pinch of salt, at this stage it was purely design and theory, however im now designing the frame with an engineering focus trying to stick to the original intent as much as possible.

Since working on the frame for a few days in Pro E the bends have become less server and smoother which reduces stress on individual points. I still think at this stage it is possible to bend. OD and thickness is still up for debate but im not quite at that stage yet so look out for further updates.

Fixing the tank to the frame with bolts is safe enough ( i have a few case studies from previous jobs which proves its validity so there is nothing to worry about)

My only other concern was the mounting of the headstock to the frame, in this design it would be pretty weak without notching the frame out and sandwiching it between. AS the frame around there areas has changed it has seemed to design itself and is working out a lot better. So the flex in the front end will be eliminated.

Carbon fiber is an option, but would cost a lot in the long run after all of the trial an error testing and i don't really like the idea of having a permanent foam core. Seems like a lazy way out if you see what i mean.

Hopefully by the end of the week ill have some decent updates on the frame and show the progression.

Thanks for all of the feedback guys, its either you love the bike or hate it as it isnt conventional. Why be like everyone else though hey!
JohnBridgeDesign is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-09-2013, 05:25 AM   #12
jerryatrophy
we are 138
jerryatrophy's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:25 AM
Flip Offs: 79
Flipped Off 26 Times in 19 Posts
jerryatrophy spends too much time on herejerryatrophy spends too much time on herejerryatrophy spends too much time on herejerryatrophy spends too much time on herejerryatrophy spends too much time on herejerryatrophy spends too much time on herejerryatrophy spends too much time on herejerryatrophy spends too much time on herejerryatrophy spends too much time on herejerryatrophy spends too much time on herejerryatrophy spends too much time on here

Correct me if im wrong but what sticks out to me is the weight offset to one side with the gastank would put the bike in constant need of countersteer. It would be like you hanging off the side of the bike all the time.
jerryatrophy is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-09-2013, 05:41 AM   #13
JohnBridgeDesign
Fighter
Local Time: 04:25 PM
Flip Offs: 1
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
JohnBridgeDesign is a name known to allJohnBridgeDesign is a name known to allJohnBridgeDesign is a name known to allJohnBridgeDesign is a name known to allJohnBridgeDesign is a name known to allJohnBridgeDesign is a name known to allJohnBridgeDesign is a name known to allJohnBridgeDesign is a name known to allJohnBridgeDesign is a name known to allJohnBridgeDesign is a name known to allJohnBridgeDesign is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryatrophy View Post
Correct me if im wrong but what sticks out to me is the weight offset to one side with the gastank would put the bike in constant need of countersteer. It would be like you hanging off the side of the bike all the time.
The tank is bias to the right yes but not to such an extreme as it is angled 45 degrees with all the weight focused at the center line, but the ancillaries can be offset to the left slightly to compensate.

The rear of the bike is bias to the left as it has a singled sided arm, brake caliper, disk, sprocket and chain.

These are the fine tuning points i will be doing as i can test and modify all of these concerns within Pro E ( you can test and configure pretty much everything before physically making it. If i was building this off the cuff then it would be a hell of an expensive trial and error process as the design is so unorthodox as stated before.

Thanks for your input though, after all this is why i posted it as everyone sees different things and points out there own concerns.
Keep it coming guys
JohnBridgeDesign is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived JohnBridgeDesign!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-09-2013, 10:34 AM   #14
sebwiers
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdxǝ

CF Pimp
sebwiers's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:25 AM
Flip Offs: 21
Flipped Off 36 Times in 19 Posts
sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

My only other concern was the mounting of the headstock to the frame, in this design it would be pretty weak without notching the frame out and sandwiching it between. AS the frame around there areas has changed it has seemed to design itself and is working out a lot better. So the flex in the front end will be eliminated.

That would be another potential benefit to building that section via CNC; mill the head and pseudo-tube from one section. Also gives you more freedom in how the merge would look, and the billet could run all the way back to the junction with the tank. On the other hand, it would probably cost a LOT more than doing a bend and weld fab, if that is practical.

Carbon fiber is an option, but would cost a lot in the long run after all of the trial an error testing and i don't really like the idea of having a permanent foam core. Seems like a lazy way out if you see what i mean.

Well, the core doesn't bother me (home bicycle builders do it a lot, and it can eve add useful strength in those cases) but I agree that doing in in CF so that it LOOKS like bent metal tube is a cheat, and kinda goes against the whole point of the design.
sebwiers is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Streetfighter pics > Photoshop Fighters