Katana front end swap fork and wheel question? - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Beginner Streetfighter Questions

Beginner Streetfighter Questions This is the place to ask all beginner questions with no fear of being flamed. This section will be HEAVILY MODERATED! Any fighter related question is allowed, no matter how simple!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Katana front end swap fork and wheel question?

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-11-2013, 01:44 AM   #1
Katrider
NoObie
Noobie
Local Time: 06:54 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Katrider is a NOOB
Question Katana front end swap fork and wheel question?

So i got a 2009 GSXR front end to swap out on my 1999 katana, I would like to use the front wheel, tire, and rotor setup from the katana as they are fine but the axles are different on the two, Is there anyway to make this work? Can I get a different bearing for the katana wheel that will work with the GSXR axle? Is there a bushing I can buy to work with the katana axle? Will the older hayabusa Axle work? I'm lost on what to do to remedy this, would rather not have to buy a GSXR front wheel, rotor, axle, tire... Appreciate any help... Thanks!!!!
Katrider is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-11-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
eatabullet

eatabullet's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:54 AM
Flip Offs: 252
Flipped Off 126 Times in 66 Posts
eatabullet spends too much time on hereeatabullet spends too much time on hereeatabullet spends too much time on hereeatabullet spends too much time on hereeatabullet spends too much time on hereeatabullet spends too much time on hereeatabullet spends too much time on hereeatabullet spends too much time on hereeatabullet spends too much time on hereeatabullet spends too much time on hereeatabullet spends too much time on here
Default Re: Katana front end swap fork and wheel question?

You'll be better off swapping all the components. The calipers are different, the gsxr has radial mounts, the kat has the other kind (forgot the name). I believe the rotor diameters are different, and the bolt pattern might be too.

Then there is the wheel hub width and fork spacing.
eatabullet is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-16-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
OleDirtyDoc
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
Noobie
OleDirtyDoc's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
OleDirtyDoc is a NOOB

there is a fork swap comparision chart on here somewhere that tells what bikes share common neck bearing sizes.i put a katana 600 fork on my 86 gs550 es and it was pretty much a bolt on.i remembered allballs racing chart that i have posted on another forum. http://www.allballsracing.com/index.php/forkconversion

They are coming to take me away haha they are coming to take me away haha(now if i only knew who they are)
support your local Freebirds MC Central NY

I didn't lose my mind i gave it away
OleDirtyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
OleDirtyDoc
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
Noobie
OleDirtyDoc's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
OleDirtyDoc is a NOOB

i just looked at the chart.most gixxers share the same bearing sizes.that doesn't nessecarily mean the stem height is the same,though.

They are coming to take me away haha they are coming to take me away haha(now if i only knew who they are)
support your local Freebirds MC Central NY

I didn't lose my mind i gave it away
OleDirtyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-16-2014, 08:02 PM   #5
Demonchyld
Team Azzhole
Noobie
Demonchyld's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Demonchyld is a NOOB

My bike is a 2001 GSX750F, my donor front is a 1998 TL1000S.

I just looked at the chart, followed the sites instructions, and if I did it right then it should work unless I read this wrong, and obviously pending the stem length.

Could anyone confirm these findings please.

UPDATE: Did some more homework, lower bearing is the same OEM bearing for both. But the uppers are different, the Kat (25X47X15) and the TL (30X55X17).

Still haven't found stem lengths, or any confirmation on the upper bearing offered being correct.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Demonchyld is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-19-2014, 11:18 PM   #6
Casper
The friendly Ghost.
Casper's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:54 AM
Flip Offs: 189
Flipped Off 34 Times in 28 Posts
Casper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

Two sets of replies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrider View Post
So i got a 2009 GSXR front end to swap out on my 1999 katana, I would like to use the front wheel, tire, and rotor setup from the katana as they are fine but the axles are different on the two, Is there anyway to make this work? Can I get a different bearing for the katana wheel that will work with the GSXR axle? Is there a bushing I can buy to work with the katana axle? Will the older hayabusa Axle work? I'm lost on what to do to remedy this, would rather not have to buy a GSXR front wheel, rotor, axle, tire... Appreciate any help... Thanks!!!!
To start off, if I remember right, the GSXR front axle is around 25mm diameter and the Katanas are 15mm or 17mm depending on the generation. (Please correct me if I am wrong on this one guys that own GSXRs.)

http://www.gotbearings.com/

Using the above link, if you look for the GSXF bearings (6203 series from All Balls) that are 17mm inner and 40mm outer, you can find a lot available. When looking for a conversion, you find one linear bearing with 25mm inner and 40mm outer, this would tell me that there isn't a likely source for a bearing swap.

Then using a database from:

https://www.metalgear-shop.de/

You can look up the differences in the rotors. (Let's ignore the radial and conventional calipers for the moment.)

90s and 00s SVs, GSFs, GSXFs all use the 21.023 or 21.051 series brake rotors. The 2009 GSXRs use the 21.130 rotors.

The major thing to consider here is the outer diameter as you need the pads to correctly contact the rotors.

21.023 - 290mm OD
21.051 - 290mm OD
21.130 - 310mm OD

This would require a rotor swap if nothing else as you shouldn't be shaving 10mm off of the radial caliper mounts.

Rotors usually cost in the ball park of $50-$100 for the ones I have seen, but you can usually get a cheap wheel that will work well for non-track use with rotors attached for $100-$200 or lower if you are patient or don't mind a little rash.

Now, there is also the differences between the axle lengths to consider when thinking you might be able to create a set of bushes to take up the difference between the fork lowers and the GSXF axle.

Many factors involved, the easiest solution would be to get a GSXR front wheel to match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonchyld View Post
My bike is a 2001 GSX750F, my donor front is a 1998 TL1000S.

I just looked at the chart, followed the sites instructions, and if I did it right then it should work unless I read this wrong, and obviously pending the stem length.

Could anyone confirm these findings please.

UPDATE: Did some more homework, lower bearing is the same OEM bearing for both. But the uppers are different, the Kat (25X47X15) and the TL (30X55X17).

Still haven't found stem lengths, or any confirmation on the upper bearing offered being correct.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Just as an FYI, this really should have been posted in its own thread as to not hijack from the OP.

I haven't found any issues with All Balls yet with providing incorrect information on the bearings, I use them a lot for research. I wouldn't worry about the stem length, I would get the top bearing and try to fit the TLS into the GSXF and if it doesn't work, swap the stems and keep the stock bearings fitted.

(I have the same numbers for bearing sizes as you posted, from All Balls, and they have stated the top bearing you need is a 99-3540-5

I am putting an SV650 front end onto a GS750 and a YZF-R6 front end onto an SV650, all of the steering stems are the same length.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-20-2014, 11:10 AM   #7
Demonchyld
Team Azzhole
Noobie
Demonchyld is a NOOB

Thanks Casper!!! Really appreciate the reply, I can move forward with more confidence now, first time building so I have lots of noob questions.

Wasn't trying to Hi-jack from the OP, just figured it was a dead post from over a year ago and perhaps if I boosted it again, those whom commented before might be the best source of answers.

I will start a new one in the future, No worries and thanks again
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-20-2014, 11:48 AM   #8
DrJellyFingers
i cant fart
DrJellyFingers's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:54 AM
Flip Offs: 46
Flipped Off 67 Times in 49 Posts
DrJellyFingers sits atop olympusDrJellyFingers sits atop olympusDrJellyFingers sits atop olympusDrJellyFingers sits atop olympusDrJellyFingers sits atop olympusDrJellyFingers sits atop olympusDrJellyFingers sits atop olympusDrJellyFingers sits atop olympusDrJellyFingers sits atop olympusDrJellyFingers sits atop olympusDrJellyFingers sits atop olympus

Must rep Casper next rime I'm on a computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post
Well, I'm not gonna live forever.

At least I can still build and ride bikes.

And my dick is still as hard as ever!!

...Just saying.

Clicky

2015 Build-off "Fart Muffin"

"Fart Muffin" Confabulate
DrJellyFingers is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-20-2014, 02:22 PM   #9
Casper
The friendly Ghost.
Casper's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:54 AM
Flip Offs: 189
Flipped Off 34 Times in 28 Posts
Casper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonchyld View Post
Thanks Casper!!! Really appreciate the reply, I can move forward with more confidence now, first time building so I have lots of noob questions.

Wasn't trying to Hi-jack from the OP, just figured it was a dead post from over a year ago and perhaps if I boosted it again, those whom commented before might be the best source of answers.

I will start a new one in the future, No worries and thanks again
Oh, I tend not to look at the dates... oops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJellyFingers View Post
Must rep Casper next rime I'm on a computer
Sweet!
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-25-2014, 10:24 PM   #10
Demonchyld
Team Azzhole
Noobie
Demonchyld is a NOOB

Thanks for the info guys, here it is before the TLS fork.

And after the swap

Bars are just loose until I get a new upper triple and clip-ons.

I need a garage...

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Beginner Streetfighter Questions