Somethings I do well, home anodizing, so far, is not one??? - Page 2 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Paint and Bodywork

Paint and Bodywork Anything to do with fabricating bodywork, composites, prep and paint work goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Somethings I do well, home anodizing, so far, is not one???

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-02-2007, 09:14 PM   #11
chandler
is not your fucking bro
chandler's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:23 AM
Flip Offs: 75
Flipped Off 53 Times in 24 Posts
chandler is a splendid one to beholdchandler is a splendid one to beholdchandler is a splendid one to beholdchandler is a splendid one to beholdchandler is a splendid one to beholdchandler is a splendid one to beholdchandler is a splendid one to beholdchandler is a splendid one to beholdchandler is a splendid one to beholdchandler is a splendid one to beholdchandler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Somethings I do well, home anodizing, so far, is not one???

theres free lead in them batteries

chandler is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-03-2007, 07:38 AM   #12
fslflint
fighter transplant in NC
fslflint's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:23 AM
Flip Offs: 92
Flipped Off 225 Times in 69 Posts
fslflint is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fslflint is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fslflint is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fslflint is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fslflint is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fslflint is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fslflint is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fslflint is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fslflint is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fslflint is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fslflint is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

don't forget that surface prep is important. at work (at my last job) we used caustic (as you mentioned) to remove the aluminum oxide as it tends to keep the aluminum from taking a decent color.

Quote:
Gavin, I know you are in heaven. Please don't modify it too much!
RIP brother

Quote:
Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking.

--Ferdinand Foch-- at the Battle of the Marne
fslflint is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-03-2007, 09:08 AM   #13
Candyman
Perpetual Project

CF Pimp
Candyman's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 1
Flipped Off 2 Times in 2 Posts
Candyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to all
Fighter of the Month Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

I've looked a bit into this, I want to start doing some on my own here for my next bike, thanks for the writeup man! Keep the progress posted.

Oh, and am I the only one who can't see the pics??

Built Not Bought

Let these hands sit not idle.
<SOLD<SOLD
Candyman is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-03-2007, 09:09 AM   #14
CdnStreetfighter
the Gixxer is BACK!
CF Addict
CdnStreetfighter's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
CdnStreetfighter is a glorious beacon of lightCdnStreetfighter is a glorious beacon of lightCdnStreetfighter is a glorious beacon of lightCdnStreetfighter is a glorious beacon of lightCdnStreetfighter is a glorious beacon of lightCdnStreetfighter is a glorious beacon of lightCdnStreetfighter is a glorious beacon of lightCdnStreetfighter is a glorious beacon of light

Tire shops are a good source of lead too, they have big bins of used tire weights. When I used to cast my own bullets for muzzleloading we got lead from them readily and they're more than happy to give you some!

-Ryan

04 gsxr 1000 - stockity stock stock

"We don't ride fast. We just fly Low!!!"

My old Build! - I miss her!
CdnStreetfighter is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-03-2007, 09:23 AM   #15
fslflint
fighter transplant in NC
fslflint's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 92
Flipped Off 225 Times in 69 Posts
fslflint is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fslflint is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fslflint is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fslflint is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fslflint is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fslflint is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fslflint is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fslflint is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fslflint is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fslflint is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fslflint is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman View Post
I've looked a bit into this, I want to start doing some on my own here for my next bike, thanks for the writeup man! Keep the progress posted.

Oh, and am I the only one who can't see the pics??

if your home brew anodizing doesn't work out give Quality Machining in Bellefonte a call. (814-548-2000). having worked for them I can say that even though they don't pay their employees shit they sure can anodize pretty damn well. they also do small run and prototype machining. and overall not the most expensive place to get shit done.

Quote:
Gavin, I know you are in heaven. Please don't modify it too much!
RIP brother

Quote:
Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking.

--Ferdinand Foch-- at the Battle of the Marne
fslflint is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-03-2007, 09:32 AM   #16
BB_DASLER

CF Addict
BB_DASLER's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:23 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
BB_DASLER is well likedBB_DASLER is well likedBB_DASLER is well likedBB_DASLER is well likedBB_DASLER is well likedBB_DASLER is well likedBB_DASLER is well liked

Interesting topic doug. I think that the old battery lead is a no no tho' because the plates are not solid lead but a grille or mesh of thin lead packed with a lead oxide paste. I remember the chemical formula PbS04 from somwhere about this, but I also remember doing a metal plating experiment back in the Ol' school days using copper as the anode and the cathode as the part to accept the electro-plating. This was done in a copper oxide/water solution as the electrolyte and didn't involve any sulphuric acid at all.

And yes, it did work. but the plated deposit was a matte copper finish and makes a perfect base to recieve a few microns of zinc as the anodized top finish material.

I'd venture a guess and say that it will be a two part process for successful plating because I'm certain I have seen even lightly chromium plated parts that have been over polished revealing a copper colored base coat.
BB_DASLER is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-03-2007, 12:46 PM   #17
DougZ
All star !!!
DougZ's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 5
Flipped Off 10 Times in 8 Posts
DougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the replies.

For anyone having issues with the pics...its Comcast..I am sorry....either try the links, or use a different browser. I use FF and can see them all.

2003 Suzuki SV1000s
2010 Yamaha WR250R
DougZ is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-03-2007, 12:59 PM   #18
sully
TLS Fight Time

Senior Fighterer
sully's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:23 AM
Flipped Off 14 Times in 14 Posts
sully is a glorious beacon of lightsully is a glorious beacon of lightsully is a glorious beacon of lightsully is a glorious beacon of lightsully is a glorious beacon of lightsully is a glorious beacon of lightsully is a glorious beacon of lightsully is a glorious beacon of lightsully is a glorious beacon of lightsully is a glorious beacon of light
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month 

Doug if those are stock suzuki axle blocks they def. have a clear powdercoating on them. Thats how suzuki keep the raw aluminum looking good!!! You might have to sand blast it off if the caustic does not remove it!

Mar.07' FOTM TLS The Lane Splitter ***07' FOTY***
sully is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-03-2007, 02:19 PM   #19
Candyman
Perpetual Project

CF Pimp
Candyman's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flipped Off 2 Times in 2 Posts
Candyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to all
Fighter of the Month Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ View Post
...get some industrial draino...to get my sodium hydroxide to etch the parts first...a vital step I did not do.
Sodium Hydroxide... is will that be from the stuff that is a 2-part pipe cleaner, one side being the sodium hydroxide? Or is just regular Draino sodium hydroxide? Post a pic up of what you get.

I read that lye was a good etcher, the chemical name for that may be soduim hydroxide, I'm not sure. It might be easier to find, hardware store or TSC maybe...

Post up whatever you use.

Built Not Bought

Let these hands sit not idle.
<SOLD<SOLD
Candyman is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-03-2007, 03:40 PM   #20
DougZ
All star !!!
DougZ's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 5
Flipped Off 10 Times in 8 Posts
DougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of light

Sully: If there was a clear PC coat, the sulfuric acid would have eaten it no problem. I m pretty sure is a sealed anodized coat..which caustic will take off.

Candyman: Sodium Hydroxide is lye....which is in draino.

Don';t worry, when I get the process right, I'll do a complete write up, making it so easy, a 5 year old could do it. LOL

2003 Suzuki SV1000s
2010 Yamaha WR250R
DougZ is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Paint and Bodywork