A NEWBIE and the Fiberglass Tail Unit - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Paint and Bodywork

Paint and Bodywork Anything to do with fabricating bodywork, composites, prep and paint work goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > A NEWBIE and the Fiberglass Tail Unit

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-04-2008, 04:24 PM   #1
fatso1277
Noobie
Local Time: 04:05 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
fatso1277 is a NOOB
Default A NEWBIE and the Fiberglass Tail Unit

hello, i am new here and i really love the site..but i am have a dilemma, i was reading candyman's post on fiberglass pieces and i really want make a complete custom tail unit for my fighter. i have an 87 vfr that i am trying to add a cbr900 tail unit to...i dont wanna go throught the hassle of chopping/cutting/welding etc, etc a new subframe up, so i figured i would just fiberglass me one up similiar in design. Dilemma is, i have never used fiberglass before and i dont have an original piece. i was going to design with wood and use that as a plug and than mold from there, but i dont know quite where to start. can anyone give me any pointers or advice on how to do this. How do i get it perfectly even for both sides...any advice would be great.
fatso1277 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-04-2008, 04:35 PM   #2
eZdoesit
I shit awesomeness
eZdoesit's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:05 AM
Flip Offs: 35
Flipped Off 42 Times in 35 Posts
eZdoesit has a reputation beyond reputeeZdoesit has a reputation beyond reputeeZdoesit has a reputation beyond reputeeZdoesit has a reputation beyond reputeeZdoesit has a reputation beyond reputeeZdoesit has a reputation beyond reputeeZdoesit has a reputation beyond reputeeZdoesit has a reputation beyond reputeeZdoesit has a reputation beyond reputeeZdoesit has a reputation beyond reputeeZdoesit has a reputation beyond repute
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 
Default Re: A NEWBIE and the Fiberglass Tail Unit

a way i would do it would be to get a big piece of foam and sculpt it to the shape and size and glass it.

R.I.P Gavin "The GREENCHEEZEATA" Butts & Michele "Madmadame" Monroe. you will both be missed, and never forgotten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariah View Post
Strip the motherfucker down. Mod the motherfucker up. Ride the motherfucking tits off it...
-Expect the best, be prepared for the worst, fuck what others think & do your own thing.
eZdoesit is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-04-2008, 05:26 PM   #3
Sword

CF Lover
Sword is really niceSword is really niceSword is really niceSword is really niceSword is really niceSword is really niceSword is really nice

agreed, foam is a lot easier to work with.
Sword is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-04-2008, 08:28 PM   #4
ZrO-1
Go hard or go home

CF Pimp
ZrO-1's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:05 AM
Flip Offs: 1
Flipped Off 5 Times in 5 Posts
ZrO-1 is a name known to allZrO-1 is a name known to allZrO-1 is a name known to allZrO-1 is a name known to allZrO-1 is a name known to allZrO-1 is a name known to allZrO-1 is a name known to allZrO-1 is a name known to allZrO-1 is a name known to allZrO-1 is a name known to allZrO-1 is a name known to all
Fighter of the Month Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

yeah, you can get some firm foam that is still easy to cut and shape, then lay glass right on top of it. Basically you rough cut it to fit onto your subframe, then carve it up to look the way you want.

I am the hooligeek...
ZrO-1 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-05-2008, 02:44 AM   #5
Scrapyard
Build It Ride It Live It
Scrapyard's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 6
Flipped Off 20 Times in 14 Posts
Scrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud of
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity Fighter of the Month 

Fiberglass isn't terrible to use if you do a bit of pre planning. The tough part is it's a material you have to work fast with. Basicly, you have to be thinking 3 steps ahead of yourself. Foam is a good idea for a mould. Preping it for the plug is the biggest part. You don't want your actual piece to stick to it. I've had good luck with wraping the plug in aluminum foil and spraying it with PAM cooking spray to act as a release agent. This is the cheap and dirty way of doing it.

The wood buck idea works to if you have a good idea of your shape. This is one of the better sites I've run across that deal with wood buck making

http://www.designbikes.de/Hoecker_e.htm

He actually filled the buck with foam but you could pick up a roll of modeling screen or a very flexible fine mesh screen from the hardware store and wrap the buck with that as well. The vacume process isn't nesseccary. Just try and get it as flat as possible when you're spreading your resin. worst case, you can always sand out bubbles and add another layer or patch and fill later.
Scrapyard is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-06-2008, 07:07 AM   #6
funkenfresh
Noobie
Local Time: 05:05 PM
funkenfresh is a NOOB

as for the foam... you can use old surf board foam...
funkenfresh is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-06-2008, 07:28 AM   #7
raven
CF Addict
Local Time: 03:05 AM
Flipped Off 3 Times in 3 Posts
raven is making some friendsraven is making some friendsraven is making some friendsraven is making some friends

Foam insulation board glued together works good too
raven is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-06-2008, 08:46 AM   #8
fatso1277
Noobie
fatso1277 is a NOOB

Thanks you all, these are some great tips and much needed. advice.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-06-2008, 09:54 AM   #9
ZrO-1
Go hard or go home

CF Pimp
ZrO-1's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 1
Flipped Off 5 Times in 5 Posts
ZrO-1 is a name known to allZrO-1 is a name known to allZrO-1 is a name known to allZrO-1 is a name known to allZrO-1 is a name known to allZrO-1 is a name known to allZrO-1 is a name known to allZrO-1 is a name known to allZrO-1 is a name known to allZrO-1 is a name known to allZrO-1 is a name known to all
Fighter of the Month Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

Raven probably had the best suggestion. You can layer the foam insulation board (the hard pink boards that are about an inch thick) like a stack of cards. You can even cut smaller pieces to avoid having to cut a ton of stuff off later. That's probably the easiest way to work when it a new process to you.

Here's what I mean:

I am the hooligeek...
ZrO-1 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-07-2008, 11:17 AM   #10
fatso1277
Noobie
fatso1277 is a NOOB

do you guys know where i can get some of the foam insulation. I thought i read somewhere that resin eats through the foam...

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Paint and Bodywork