A NEWBIE and the Fiberglass Tail Unit - Page 2 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Paint and Bodywork

Paint and Bodywork Anything to do with fabricating bodywork, composites, prep and paint work goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > A NEWBIE and the Fiberglass Tail Unit

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-07-2008, 03:41 PM   #11
Candyman
Perpetual Project

CF Pimp
Candyman's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:17 AM
Flip Offs: 1
Flipped Off 2 Times in 2 Posts
Candyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to all
Fighter of the Month Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 
Default Re: A NEWBIE and the Fiberglass Tail Unit

Resin will eat through the foam, thats why Scraps mentioned covering your foam mould with alluminum foil before you lay the fiberglass on.

Another tip: If you get pieces of foam you can use aerosol glue (3M makes some) you can get at a hardware or craft store.

You can use foam insulation - try lowes/home depot, or the green flower arrangement foam - try your local craft store

Expect your first try to be very frustrating and time consuming, but in the end its worth it.

Built Not Bought

Let these hands sit not idle.
<SOLD<SOLD
Candyman is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-17-2008, 10:55 AM   #12
Batman
Fighter
Local Time: 10:17 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
Batman is a NOOB
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

Dont let it bother ya if it does not come out right the 1st time. Its taken me 2 tries to get the tail shape I want & I'm still not happy with it. So back to the foam for the shape. Btw i simply coated the foam with a metal tape i found at home depot. Stuff is great. Though if your going for a really complex shape you will want to use painters tape so you call pull the fiber glass off the mold. Just my 2 cents!
Batman is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-17-2008, 05:29 PM   #13
fatso1277
Noobie
Local Time: 01:17 AM
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
fatso1277 is a NOOB

yeah for the last few days i have been planning the shape out in my head, i am going to go with the wood and mesh screen...i am scared i would mess up to bad with the foam...and maybe wrap that in some sort of tape...but i want to do it a piece at a time...the shape i am trying to do is a mix between 2 tails i have seen on this site and another...so i just came up with a drawing of it and cutting pieces from wood. i figure i make pieces instead of 1 giant piece. and just put it all together...considering this is my first time.
fatso1277 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-14-2008, 11:25 PM   #14
hooligan333
Noobie
Local Time: 10:17 PM
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
hooligan333 is a NOOB

keep us updated man
hooligan333 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-14-2008, 11:31 PM   #15
ab420
Abministrator
ab420's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:17 AM
Flip Offs: 38
Flipped Off 182 Times in 79 Posts
ab420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ab420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ab420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ab420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ab420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ab420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ab420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ab420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ab420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ab420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ab420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan333 View Post
keep us updated man
+1
ab420 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-15-2008, 07:48 AM   #16
DougZ
All star !!!
DougZ's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:17 AM
Flip Offs: 5
Flipped Off 10 Times in 8 Posts
DougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapyard View Post
Fiberglass isn't terrible to use if you do a bit of pre planning. The tough part is it's a material you have to work fast with. Basicly, you have to be thinking 3 steps ahead of yourself. Foam is a good idea for a mould. Preping it for the plug is the biggest part. You don't want your actual piece to stick to it. I've had good luck with wraping the plug in aluminum foil and spraying it with PAM cooking spray to act as a release agent. This is the cheap and dirty way of doing it.

The wood buck idea works to if you have a good idea of your shape. This is one of the better sites I've run across that deal with wood buck making

http://www.designbikes.de/Hoecker_e.htm

He actually filled the buck with foam but you could pick up a roll of modeling screen or a very flexible fine mesh screen from the hardware store and wrap the buck with that as well. The vacume process isn't nesseccary. Just try and get it as flat as possible when you're spreading your resin. worst case, you can always sand out bubbles and add another layer or patch and fill later.
Good link. Vacuum bagging was necessary for his project, for two reasons.
1. he was having glass bend around complex shapes.
2. He was using Carbon Fiber to make his part, where a perfect finish is wanted right out of the mold.

2003 Suzuki SV1000s
2010 Yamaha WR250R
DougZ is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-19-2008, 01:47 PM   #17
mrgixxer
Gorilla...Hired Gorilla

CF Addict
mrgixxer's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:17 PM
Flip Offs: 91
Flipped Off 73 Times in 61 Posts
mrgixxer is a splendid one to beholdmrgixxer is a splendid one to beholdmrgixxer is a splendid one to beholdmrgixxer is a splendid one to beholdmrgixxer is a splendid one to beholdmrgixxer is a splendid one to beholdmrgixxer is a splendid one to beholdmrgixxer is a splendid one to beholdmrgixxer is a splendid one to beholdmrgixxer is a splendid one to beholdmrgixxer is a splendid one to behold
Poker Tournament Winner Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity Fighter of the Month 

So??? whats the story???

Walk out..Tap out...Knocked out...You Pick
mrgixxer is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Paint and Bodywork