Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Sebspeed's Suzuki 7/11 project Fat Kat

59K views 406 replies 29 participants last post by  SEBSPEED 
#1 ·
Slingshot project #2... probably a long shot to try and get this one done as well, but I'm gonna try.

I had bought an 89 1100 Katana a year ago, intending to swap the motor into my CB900F. Plans changed and the CB is getting rebuilt with a 985cc kit, so... shenanigans!

Got my hands on a 1990 750 slingshot frame and stripped the fat Kat of, well, everything. 1 lead-filled bar end weighs almost as much as the subframe I'm adding!!

Starting from a pile of parts, the planned conglomeration breaks down as follows...

90 750 frame
89 1100 motor
CBR929RR forks
CBR600F4i wheels
09 GSXR750 tail
Swingarm... not sure yet but I have a bunch of options... F4i, 954RR, 900RR, or VFR800

Not sure on headlight yet,but have options there too. MT03, wave, or, I might stick a ZX6R upper fairing on it and go for a "speedfighter" setup.

The fairing would help to hide the speedo, and the cluster of equipment required to keep an eye on the...

TD04 turbo ;)

See less See more
#101 ·
Need some rubber for this thing so I can get the stance right with motor in... cash reserves getting a bit low so will make do with whatever I can find.

Tossing around ideas for the rear shock mount, which should get done before the motor goes in...

#103 ·
I do all my own prep and paint. I am friends with the owner of a local body shop, I mix most of my paint right out of their bank of PPG stock and I rent time in their spray booth.

PPG primer/base/mid as needed, UPOL brand clear. The UPOL is really good stuff at a fraction the cost of PPG clear.

#104 ·
Nice. I wish I had a better place so I could do more painting. Looking at investing in a Devilbiss Tekna Prolite this winter since my cheap Craftsman gun was giving me problems last time I used it. It's probably more than I need but I think it's a good compromise compared to some of the cheaper or more expensive guns.

#120 ·
I second that motion.

Although I am pretty sure he's got it covered.

He will probably spend less on his turbo setup than my NA build and make way more hp than me.

I love turbo's but im more of a high compression and nitrous fan.

Im still excited to see how this fellow kat is going to look.

Kats make the best "street fighter" they are such a crappy bike stock.

#123 ·
Thinking of replacing the rubber bushes on the front motor mounts with aluminum.

Anyone done this? Know if it's good/bad?

I know guys that build CB900 race bikes do this, and one of mine is a bit worn so I thought I'd make some instead of buying new rubber.

#124 ·
Couldn't scrounge up a piece of material in the right size for the fork shroud bushes, so I bought a piece o plastic.

Found a mirror I had forgotten about. Think I'll use it.

#125 ·
Gonna have to do some work before I get buried in parts

Fresh rubber

New base gaskets

And somewhere, in a cold and far away place, a turbo manifold is taking shape :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.