JamesHambleton 87' VFR750 Liz - Page 5 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > 2018 Winter Buildoff > Bike Build Threads

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > JamesHambleton 87' VFR750 Liz

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-17-2019, 11:10 AM   #41
JamesHambleton
Wanna be racer

CF Addict
JamesHambleton's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:25 AM
Flip Offs: 9
Flipped Off 8 Times in 5 Posts
JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Re: JamesHambleton 87' VFR750 Liz

So the day after yesterday.. that would be today then =D
Stole... sorry borrowed my mums phone as it's so much easier to take photos using a working rear camera instead of trying to use my front one!

The finished product of last nights efforts.

Did some more trimming to the triangles to get the clearance between the swingarm and dogbone mount.
Managed to get it somewhat linked up but hit more problems, apart from not having a 10mm hss bit for the bolt holes so I can't get the triangles perfectly centered in the holes but that's the least of my problems.

The bolt which I were using from the shock linkage not only cannot be inserted because it is shrouded by the dogbone linkage. So do I need to flip the triangles or would I need a much longer shock.

oh and the rear shock fowls on the swingarm
JamesHambleton is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-21-2019, 01:23 PM   #42
JamesHambleton
Wanna be racer

CF Addict
JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Managed to get an m25 1.5 tap delivered, awfully expensive for cleaning up one thread but oh well.
Many many thanks to cookie for sending me his spare linkage triangles.
After more finessing with the swingarm spacers, I got the swingarm in and both bolts nipped.
Managed to get the triangles to work with a cbr125 rear shock for now.

Going to make a list of bolts and nuts I need tomorrow to get the rear triangles properly secured. Then I'll chuck on the subframe, tank and bodywork and roll her outside for some cleaning.
JamesHambleton is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived JamesHambleton!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-23-2019, 11:28 AM   #43
JamesHambleton
Wanna be racer

CF Addict

Thanks to Steve for digging out the bolts for the rear suspension, I think my mockup using the wrong size bolts has bent and twisted the existing dog bones. Also found out that the different year subframe has more than one change excluding the footpegs, meaning the removable seat lock/rear cowl support/new exhaust mounting position isn't properly mounted.

After this I put on the standard rear undertray and the rear doesn't look as high, but still should be enough room for an exhaust pipe in there I hope.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-25-2019, 07:07 PM   #44
JamesHambleton
Wanna be racer

CF Addict

22 hours of wiring and she's finally good... ish.

Started out with this in december and promptly gave up

Then these last 3 days I've got everything working, chopped, soldered, heat shrinked, rewrapped,
wrapped again... re-routing, re-routing... hang on I'm not a satna...re-routing... bloody wires!!!

I've relocated the fusebox from the traditional front yoke/dash mounting extended all the wiring from that to the switchgear plugs,
I managed to accidentally make two seperate ground circuits, one grounded and the other not - and I wondered why it didn't work.

So I've ended up chopping up the entire rear section of a cb400sf loom I had, to then make the front end of the wiring reach the headlights bowl and indicators,
and cutting up a cbr125 loom I also had for the connections between the switchgear connector block and other parts of the loom - as well as the ground from the isolated front ground circuit.

Tucked in nicely in front of the airbox thanks to Rex sausagety for that

BFT shirt because proper shed build

She looks like a proper naked now =D

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-26-2019, 04:27 PM   #45
JamesHambleton
Wanna be racer

CF Addict

Managed to make a bracket for the speedo pickup and find a place to mount it.

Also managed to decide a route for the cable.

Wanted to finally get the P clams done for holding the brake lines and the cable but the bolt hole is too small for the bolt I want to use.
Tried to drill it out and didn't end well for me, my thumb, or a twisted bit of metal that was once a p clamp so need to pick some of those up tomorrow with a larger OD hole.

Ordered SLOSH tank cleaner, and tank sealer today so that should be here tomorrow too!
Worryingly I'm starting to run out of things to do.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-28-2019, 01:37 PM   #46
JamesHambleton
Wanna be racer

CF Addict

I'm really on it at the moment, update 3 in as many days. (some reason I didn't post this here, even though I wrote it here, so copied back from another forum)

So onto the tank.
Emptied the molasses mix out of the tank after maybe 5 months?

Gave it a bloody good wash round with the hose, and a little bit of shaking and running the hose through the tank until I got all the flakes of rust and debris out.

Put the fuel gauge back in and added in Tank-Kleen, left it and rotated the tank every 10-15mins with vigorous shaking, then found some gravel to put in. You can vaguely see the bubbles of it working here.

Washed and rinsed. Then the fun game of 3 tiny stones which didn't want to come out.

Got em out then time to dry out the tank. Tried my airline and got bored as it wasn't doing the job well enough.
So into the kitchen, hair dryer!

Then I uhh... sloshed the slosh

Now it just needs to cure for 5 days and then I'll see if I've messed it up at all.
This user High Fived JamesHambleton!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-08-2019, 05:41 AM   #47
JamesHambleton
Wanna be racer

CF Addict

Magnets for the speedo in.
Fuel tank sealed but my fuel tap o-rings leaked chucking petrol all down the side of the tank, so went back to the old perished looking orings.

Managed to get the bike running which is a massive relief but only via gravity feed from the tank but I fear that the fuel pump isn't working, which could be the relay or even the pump itself or my wiring but I don't think I've touched that circuit but who knows.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxswAF7aLL0
There isn't a massive amount of flow coming out of the petrol tank so I think I may have slightly blocked the strainer when sealing the tank. Not too sure yet.

Managed to get the p-clips sorted for the front hoses and speedo pickup and the horn mounted up.

Made another list of things to do, which are really just odds and sods.. generally

Rear caliper/hose/mastercylinder
Mounting and hoses for the oil cooler.
Exhaust hangers - maybe use p-clips on the rail?
Indicator mounts
Seat lock mount
Offset sprocket
Footpeg mounting bolts
Bullet connectors for indicators
Drill holes for dzus nuts
Lockstops
Bolts for indicators mounting
Bolts for p-clamps
Osram headlight
Mount the reg/rec and wire it up
Exhaust system
Rear shock
Remove mainstand
Seat cover
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-28-2019, 05:47 PM   #48
JamesHambleton
Wanna be racer

CF Addict

Got a new phone so back to photos.

A massive thanks to @370steve for letting me borrow his bike ramp.

Dropped off at firefox racing for getting my rear shock sorted out/built.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-19-2019, 02:25 AM   #49
JamesHambleton
Wanna be racer

CF Addict

Nothing much to report yet, yesterday I visited zorstec and paid a visit to firefox racing.

Dropped in at Zorstec and spoke to Tom about what I wanted, and got a ballpark figure which was massively cheaper than I expected.
They couldn't give me an exact price as the bike wasn't there and I didn't have any photos of the bikes exhaust system. They were massively accommodating with what I was wanting.

No progress has being made within the last 3 weeks in regards to the rear shock.
I've spoken to them about delivery and they're willing to transport the bike to Zorstec for me once they've completed their work which helps me massively.
Whilst I was there I got a load of photos for Zorstec and emailed them across last night.

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > 2018 Winter Buildoff > Bike Build Threads