Casper's 2004 Ford F150 5.4L - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Off Topic > Open Discussion > Cage-Fighters

Cage-Fighters Got a 4-wheel fiend as well? Let's see them cars and trucks!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Casper's 2004 Ford F150 5.4L

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-21-2016, 11:56 PM   #1
Casper
The friendly Ghost.
Casper's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:58 AM
Flip Offs: 188
Flipped Off 34 Times in 28 Posts
Casper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympus
Default Casper's 2004 Ford F150 5.4L

I didn't want to start projects on this, but I "can't leave them alone."

I purchased this truck in early December, 2015, as my only four wheeler after moving to the cold.

Didn't think anything of it at the time, the engine drove well enough and the transmission wasn't giving any issues.

Drove it exclusively to work for a bit to put some miles on it and see if there were any glaring issues with it.

Nothing really came up while I was driving it in the winter and I thought I had gotten a mechanically sound truck with very little rush for a decent price.

There were issues with work the previous owner had done, like the catalytic converters being replaced with straight pipe and the shoddy welding / removal of O2 sensors causing a check engine light.

My little buddy enjoyed the warmer area while putzing around in.

Fast forward to May, 2016. I head out to visit Grymm and on the way, shit hits the fan.

I am able to make it all of the way there, but got only 1/3 of the way home before I finally give up driving it for fear of worse damage to the engine / transmission.

As a side note, I had it towed to a Ford dealer in town and they weren't any help. They quoted me $6500 to put a used 5.4 engine in or $9500 to put a reman engine in. My goal was to keep this whole process under $4k-$5k including tools should I fuck it up and still need a reman engine, I would be under the dealer quote.
I did a compression test and lead down test and the results were appalling. I was extremely low on 5 cylinders.

After a bit of a head ache, I start to tear into her to see what the issue was.

Made quite a bit of progress slowly taking the simple things off of the engine.

Then one wonderful afternoon, Grymm and two other friends came over and we got the engine out.

Took my time during the tear down due to keeping finances in check and having a long deadline.

Didn't see any major issues yet, but I still had more to go.

Removal of more covers, you can clearly see where the timing chain had been contacting the cover and wearing through the ribs. (This was part of my horrible noise.)

Chain felt taught there...

Oh, what the fuck!

Broken bits!

More what the fuck...

Both timing chains were stretched and both timing chain tensioners were slack with shitty springs.

The gears looked okay, but I replaced them out of peace of mind.

Popped the heads off...

Cylinder walls looked good, could still see cross hatch and there was no ridge.

Cylinder 8 piston was the only piston without carbon build up. The machinist I took the heads to mentioned a likely coolant leak through the head gasket into cylinder 8 without seeing the piston.

Pile of head bolts... I had picked up a 3/4 inch ratchet with a 40 inch handle and it was very necessary for removing these without impacts.

I removed the rockers and checked the lash adjusters for movement before taking it to the machinist. I didn't want an issue with valves being open and contacting tables...

Pile of timing components.

Shining light into the ports, I was able to see 5 valves not sealing, explained some of my low compression and high leakage. Amazing that the engine was still producing power during this.

I boxed up the heads and took them to a local machinist to be three angle ground, new valves ground, lapped, installed, new valve seals installed, cams checked and head gasket surface decked.

Digging deeper into the engine, I see this gorgeous wear.

Cylinder #1 rod bearing spun and wore 20 thousands off of one side of the crank. It is machinable up to 20 thousands and as such, it wasn't possible to machine the crank back to tolerances.

Lots of parts... organized well enough to not misplace anything.

I had the bock as a single component... In hindsight, I should have cleaned it at this stage, but I forwent it to reduce painting and effort in the rebuild. I just wanted my truck running.

Reman crank (10 thousands under), new main bearings and assembly lube.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Casper!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-21-2016, 11:56 PM   #2
Casper
The friendly Ghost.
Casper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympus
Default Re: Casper's 2004 Ford F150 5.4L

Main caps installed and torqued.

Cylinder #1 got a new connecting rod. The old one wasn't out of round, but enough suggestions made me do it for peace of mind.

All 8 pistons (I reused the 8 pistons and rings, making sure to match them in the bores they came out of.) were cleaned of carbon build up. (No pictures of this, but all 8 bores were honed lightly with a ball hone.)

New rod bearings and plenty of assembly lube.

Was a fun process of flipping the engine.

After all 8 pistons were in and torqued, I installed the new head gaskets and cleaned heads. I really didn't enjoy torquing down the 20 head bolts to ungodly levels...

New oil pump.

Imagine a picture will all new timing components, apparently I forgot to snap a photo or have lost it somewhere.

Rockers installed and lubed. All of the valves aligned correctly.

Timing cover and valve covers installed with new gaskets.

Imagine a picture of new crankshaft seals here... again forgot to take a picture.

Getting ready for bolting the oil pan in place.

Accessory drives in place.

Grymm came over again and helped me pop it in place. (Thank you again, I don't fit into the places that you seem to reach so easily.)

Engine in place.

We bolted the engine to the trans and to the mounts and called it a day.

I spent the next few weeks putting all of the little things back on and fired it up for the first time in 6 months. Took it for a test drive the next day and it performed flawlessly. (Took a couple tries to get the trans fluid perfect, but I am happy with where it is currently.)

Project total was $4200 with cost of parts, tools and machinist work. Lots and lots of tools...

Drove it for a week straight to see if I could see any issues and now that the engine is so smooth, I am unhappy with the transmission... fuck. (May or may not be looking into a ZF 6 speed from the F250 to convert the truck to manual and get a deeper overdrive and a granny gear.)

It's now been two weeks and 800 miles later, only one odd issue where the engine cut out coming to a stop light. (Almost seemed like the torque converter didn't disengage.) I will be keeping my eye out for that one again, not too worried about that at the moment.

I have to fix the O2 sensors due to the overly rich condition and me wanting better than 13 MPG fuel economy. (Temporary in Dec, correct fix next summer?)

I need to replace a few connectors that broke in the cold and put a couple parts (skid plate...) back on.

I want to clean up the bed and spray line it. Not sure I will get to this until it warms back up, but may end up with Line X if I wait long enough. (They look so nice with fresh hardware...)

I added my first (probably only) CF sticker...
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-22-2016, 12:18 AM   #3
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:58 AM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Awesome! But it sucks that you had to do all this.

Good on Grymm for helping out!

I had a '98 Chevy that did something similar to what you mentioned about your transmission. I had a couple times the truck would stall when coming to a stop. I too wondered if the torque converter hadn't released. Shortly after, the trans started slipping and shifting erratically. But the fluid was dead clean, so I couldn't see it being bad clutches. Ended up being some sort of solenoids that plug in to the valve body. Ended up being a fairly inexpensive fix that didn't even require dropping the pan. I know it's not apples to apples, but maybe it can help somehow. Perhaps your Ford uses a similar setup with solenoids.

Good on you for showing her some love.
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived shinyribs!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-22-2016, 01:32 PM   #4
XxGRYMMxX
Breaking shit...
CF Pimp
XxGRYMMxX's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 8
Flipped Off 13 Times in 10 Posts
XxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on here

Nice write up. And thanks for those brontosaurus steaks you brought over for my bday!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantar View Post
They can ban, outlaw, and restrict whatever they please. I'll keep doing whatever the fuck I'm doing, because I don't really give a shit. The only thing that will change is that I'll be breaking their made up bullshit rules while doing it, and I'm comfortable with that.

My Build http://www.customfighters.com/forums...d.php?t=118649
XxGRYMMxX is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-22-2016, 03:37 PM   #5
medimicated420
GURU
CF Addict
Local Time: 07:58 AM
Flip Offs: 27
Flipped Off 5 Times in 5 Posts
medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

what does dinosaur taste like?

glad you have a vehicle with a roof again for the winter
medimicated420 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived medimicated420!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-22-2016, 04:18 PM   #6
MikeGyver
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
MikeGyver's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 309
Flipped Off 170 Times in 147 Posts
MikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too much
Default Medal Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by medimicated420 View Post
Just like wooly mammoth

'98 Ducati 916
'00 Ducati 996
'03 SV650(sold)

Skully Stickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbuc View Post
yell, "Built not bought mother fucker!" in there face and then spit on their bike and walk off.
MikeGyver is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived MikeGyver!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-22-2016, 06:09 PM   #7
XxGRYMMxX
Breaking shit...
CF Pimp
XxGRYMMxX's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 8
Flipped Off 13 Times in 10 Posts
XxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on here

Quote:
Originally Posted by medimicated420 View Post
Since I cant remember how cook for fuck it tasted damn bloody and the veggies were mostly raw. I wasnt so worried about the rabbit food though and luckily near raw is the way we all like our steaks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantar View Post
They can ban, outlaw, and restrict whatever they please. I'll keep doing whatever the fuck I'm doing, because I don't really give a shit. The only thing that will change is that I'll be breaking their made up bullshit rules while doing it, and I'm comfortable with that.

My Build http://www.customfighters.com/forums...d.php?t=118649
XxGRYMMxX is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived XxGRYMMxX!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-11-2017, 11:34 PM   #8
Casper
The friendly Ghost.

Installed catalytic converters tonight, removed 6 of the 7 error codes so far. Need to fix a massive exhaust leak where the old system butted up to a horrible link pipe (probably replace the link pipe) and make sure the flanges are fully seated on the manifolds. (Took a short 3 mile test drive and had exhaust come into the cab with the windows down when I stopped at red lights...)

Just shy of 5000 miles on the rebuild and everything is going well.

List of things to do soon:
Fix exhaust link pipe.
Drain and fill rear diff with friction modifier (currently makes noise after hours of highway use)
Drain and fill transfer case
Drain and fill front diff
Try and slow the rust growing on the drivers floor pan.
Try and slow the rust growing on the fenders and door bottoms.
Wire wheel and naval jelly bed before spray coating it.
Wire wheel and naval jelly tow hitch before spray coating it.

Things on the long term list:
Replace the cowl plastics and hook up the windshield washers.
Replace the bed top moldings
Install bull rings in stake pockets
Install front bumper hitch and quick connect jumper cables.
Fix the parking brake
Fix the melted O2 sensor connector

Things on the maybe in the future:
Hitch mounted winch
Better speakers / head unit
Carputer with data acquisition (also would be stereo input)
Seats, current ones are pretty worn out

Things to debate:
Buy a manual heavy duty and sell the F150.
Buy a manual and retrofit into the F150.

I think that covers it all.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-12-2017, 12:08 AM   #9
MikeGyver
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
MikeGyver's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 309
Flipped Off 170 Times in 147 Posts
MikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too much
Default Medal Fighter of the Month 

What was the original purchase?

'98 Ducati 916
'00 Ducati 996
'03 SV650(sold)

Skully Stickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbuc View Post
yell, "Built not bought mother fucker!" in there face and then spit on their bike and walk off.
MikeGyver is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-12-2017, 09:09 AM   #10
Casper
The friendly Ghost.

Just above "good" condition in Kelly Blue Book.

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Off Topic > Open Discussion > Cage-Fighters