97 Tarded YZ Build - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Dirty Tards & Minis

Dirty Tards & Minis Everything about dirtbikes, motards and minis goes in here!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > 97 Tarded YZ Build

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-10-2017, 06:40 PM   #1
RS_Raz
Chief Bodger
Senior Fighterer
RS_Raz's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:37 PM
Flip Offs: 8
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default 97 Tarded YZ Build

Got myself a YZ!

It's a 97 125 and it even came with inner bearing races!

Seeing as I've already rebuilt it, I thought I'd fit this DT125 engine:

I'm hoping to build it into a road registered supermoto just as a bit of a project.

RS_Raz is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived RS_Raz!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-10-2017, 06:56 PM   #2
F'dup
Hack in a barn

CF Pimp
F'dup's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:37 AM
Flip Offs: 35
Flipped Off 9 Times in 9 Posts
F'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: 97 Tarded YZ Build

2017 build off sv650 build thread <---Click here

SV650 b.s.'n and post build off progress on the bike thread thread <---Click here

DR650 supermoto build <--click

2000 R6 build <--click

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_Raz View Post
A bit of vaseline should lube your bush up real nice though. Just make sure that your shaft is a good fit.
F'dup is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived F'dup!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-11-2017, 06:29 AM   #3
RS_Raz
Chief Bodger
Senior Fighterer
RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Cleaned up the frame. It's well used but in good shape:

These bits don't work:

Mock up engine fits ok:

I want it tilted as far forward as possible as it's a bit bigger than the YZ engine so there's no room to weld tabs on at the front so I'll just weld on some round bar drilled for the M10.
The swingarm pivot needs to be drilled out from 16 to 17mm to match the frame.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-11-2017, 05:15 PM   #4
RS_Raz
Chief Bodger
Senior Fighterer

Picked up these forks:

Supposedly off a 98 YZ400. Got them to handle the extra weight of the engine.
I say supposedly because both legs have '01' cast into them so I'm assuming this would mean they were cast in 2001?

The 'Y5DH' does correspond with a YZ400 but they didn't make the 400 after 2000. The top yoke is stamped with 4JX which isn't a YZ400 part either So fuck knows.

Whatever they're from they look good to me.

I also got a DEP pipe from a DT125RE:

It was looking quite promising and one of the mounts was pretty close too:

Quite exciting!!! And then I realised it's going to hit the tank, shock, airbox and waterpump without more pissing about than I can be bothered with

So that's that idea out the window coz the steel is so thin on it that my flux welder will just burn holes through it. So I'll go the other way and get a pipe that fits the frame and make it fit the engine.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-15-2017, 03:39 AM   #5
RS_Raz
Chief Bodger
Senior Fighterer

I need to have the frame dated so I can register it and get an age-related registration. The frame number is etched so lightly on the head tube that if it was blasted (or even lightly sanded tbh) the number would be gone. The guy who is hopefully going to sort my dating certificate says "do not lose that number or your frame will be scrap". So I'm not even gona think about painting or powdercoating the frame yet until it's registered, which I can't do unless the bike is complete and has been inspected.

Welded the new engine mounts on and then proceeded to paint them with a can of Apico YZ Blue paint!:

Which is exactly the wrong blue entirely. So obviously I told my Mrs that it was a practice/protective coat then I went and got the Yamaha Deep Purplish Blue Metallic Base, Mid & Clear that I should've started with.

Got an 02 YZ250F Shock with a Titanium Spring ridiculously cheap. I'm sure I'll find out why one day:

Dirty but otherwise looks fine to me. Slight pitting on the rod but I can't see any oil yet.

I was looking to get a cheap shock linkage and get new bearings but the price of the bearing kit for this is crazy. So I found a link off an 03 WR426 with new bearings for cheap instead:

It's resting on an old CRF swingarm I had laying around...

YZ Frame, YZF Shock, WRF Linkage & CRF Arm.

If this setup works out then it should lower the rear a bit which suits me just fine as the front will be lower with a 17" wheel anyway.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-15-2017, 03:36 PM   #6
RS_Raz
Chief Bodger
Senior Fighterer

Engine is in now:

Went and bought an OE 96 pipe to have a go with.

It fits the frame but the connection to the engine is totally different.

With my cylinder looking like this:

And the YZ looking like this:

Then I remembered that when I bought a DT engine a couple of years ago, it came with a flange fitted to it from a DEP pipe:

And it very nearly fitted inside the YZ pipe. It took literally 2 minutes to dremel out enough of the YZ pipe to tap this flange into the end.

And then I could mount it and see what I was working with:

The mounts are a little far off and is totally the wrong angle at the silencer but this definitely works for me and the steel is noticeably thicker so welding it won't be such a chore

The pipe is usually mounted to the frame with these:

So as my pipe is a bit further away from the mounts, I guess I'll just make slightly longer hangers. Easy! Hopefully.

I also commandeered this FMF silencer from my other project:

It's for an 01 CR125 but I doubt it'll take much to make it fit a YZ frankenbike.

I also got a 98 subframe and made sure my forks fit:

That's it for today.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-15-2017, 05:14 PM   #7
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 116 Times in 103 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

You are killing me. I'm really close to unloading every big, heavy road bike/road bike parts I have and building something like this.

Light bikes are just more fun. And I'm a bigger guy.
shinyribs is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived shinyribs!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-15-2017, 07:23 PM   #8
RS_Raz
Chief Bodger
Senior Fighterer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyribs View Post
You are killing me. I'm really close to unloading every big, heavy road bike/road bike parts I have and building something like this.

Light bikes are just more fun. And I'm a bigger guy.
I was a car mechanic working mostly on modern diesels so nice lightweight petrol machines are a novelty.
There's a lot of narrow, twisty lanes round here so this should suit nicely
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-16-2017, 08:43 PM   #9
RS_Raz
Chief Bodger
Senior Fighterer

I'm a bit worried now. I spoke to Yamaha UK so I could get proof that import tax was paid and a dating certificate so I can get it inspected/registered and they tell me that it was never imported to the UK so all they can tell me is that it's a 98 model and was imported to Belgium. So I emailed Yamaha Belgium but they haven't come back to me and seeing as I don't speak French, they probably just deleted it.
So I rang the Personal Transport Dept @ Revenue & Customs and they tell me it's not on their system & so I need to submit a Notification Of Vehicle Arrival within 14 days of the vehicle entering the country or I'll be liable to a 5 per day fine. WTF? Whatever. So I submit the forms online and I get an instant email reply saying they need to speak to me regarding the amount of tax that needs to be paid before my application can be processed any further....... I can't see this going well at all.

Anyway, I'm not gona cry about it.

I had some stainless spacers made up for swingarm and it fits:

Started to clean up the disgusting shock:

Bought a 520 13t and fitted it:

Ever notice how close your YZ sprocket sits to your CRF swingarm when mounted to your DTR engine? No one tells you this shit.

I also got a 98 YZ250 tank and 01 YZ125 rads and tried to figure out where this power valve motor is going to live:

I'm sure it'll all fall into place at some point.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-16-2017, 08:48 PM   #10
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 116 Times in 103 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_Raz View Post

Ever notice how close your YZ sprocket sits to your CRF swingarm when mounted to your DTR engine? No one tells you this shit.

Bummer about the tax BS. Good luck on that bro.
shinyribs is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived shinyribs!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Dirty Tards & Minis